Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No 2011 Roar Electric Paved Nationals? Maybe

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 02:35 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
You realize that your Country is 1/2 the size of Cali right? Its not exactly easy to get to some of these races if you live on the other side of our country. Its not just a 3 hour ride to every race.

The area of the US is 50x the area of the UK or there about. Yet you have about 1/5 of the population so basically the UK has 10x the population density of the USA. Therefore getting more racers at every race is a lot easier.

Yeah, I hear what you're saying.

Not having good local knowledge of how far apart your racing is was my mistake. However, other guys in the USA might have it easier than you, that I don't know either.

But whoever we are, the guy next to us in the pits wants value for money too.

If we all want value for money and race multiple classes, it

1) makes for a long day racing and

2) The race organiser(s) run the risk of opening up a race programme that may be too diluted and not look good for situation as a whole, with the winners not feeling that their win was very worthy with so few entrants.

Weak entry figures and todays economy is a risky venture.

For me, thats why I say reduce the classes, focus on just a few and let a healthy amount of competitors in each class have a good time.

Another idea for a BIG race and to run multiple classes is during a holiday weekend if a holiday falls on a monday, to have the qualifying and mains of all sedan racing on the saturday, then other classes qualifying and mains on the sunday for example.

That way, if you only enter one class, you can still get back home on the monday or sunday if you only race sedan, (or hang out at the venue to watch the other racing if you want to make a weekend of it)

but you would still have to travel on the friday if you were racing sedan.

Maybe it's not a good idea, i'm simply throwing ideas out there to look at.

We do have it easier in the UK with the travelling, I must admit!
Old 08-12-2010, 05:25 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

syndr0me - i hope to see you running 17.5 super stock and modified at IIC. i'm not running a crazy mod motor -- probably 13.5 or maybe 10.5. i know i might get yarded slightly on the straight.. but it will still be better than going slower than 2009 Amateur 17.5 class w/ tekin 199/200.

Originally Posted by syndr0me
I wish modified was easier. I say this as a guy that's put in a LOT of track time this year on an IIC-sized track, and I've spent many hours trying to go faster with a 5.5 than I can with a 17.5. For a guy such as myself, with average talent, it just seems out of reach. I don't know how other racers with less time or access to a track than myself could ever hope to tame it. And most tracks are smaller than ours, where it already feels nearly impossible to control.

I like the idea of simplifying the classes, but I agree with Larry about track time. It's hard to justify the expense of traveling to a big race for 30 minutes of racing. And while I can enter modified (I have), and I know I can run a slower motor (I will), I know it's a throwaway class that I'll ultimately just be using to test changes for my slower classes. Paid extra open practice? I guess.

I really liked watching the racing in 13.5 at IIC in 2009. You had former world champions like Andy Moore mixing it up with top guys that mostly do this as a hobby, and it was awesome. I wish modified could be more like that.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Owen RaCing
At Speedworld, it was fact that SPX's could motor Tekin's until V203 in 13.5 and 17.5. That is were Jay is basing his claims from. Obviously you won 08 Reedy so you know Speedworlds straight is big enough to make evident of what is faster. Tekin's were not slow, but SPXs were faster. Tekin 198 beta team software was not much faster than spheres (after 4 minutes it was slower haha).
Wrong....I made SPX driver's walk off the stand with 199
Old 08-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

"For me, thats why I say reduce the classes, focus on just a few and let a healthy amount of competitors in each class have a good time."

There's part of the problem in a nutshell!! There's WAY too many options to electric on-road racing now!! Back in the day---with ONLY 1/12 or 1/10 on road pan cars--it was simple to hold an electric on road race!!! Stock or modified-- and enjoy the racing---easy to get plenty of participants!! Now--with all the diversity of cars / motors/ speed controls etc--it's WAY to cumbersome to try and hold all these class's at a race!!! Simplify--and life will be easier and just as much fun!
T
Old 08-13-2010, 01:06 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by timmig
"For me, thats why I say reduce the classes, focus on just a few and let a healthy amount of competitors in each class have a good time."

There's part of the problem in a nutshell!! There's WAY too many options to electric on-road racing now!! Back in the day---with ONLY 1/12 or 1/10 on road pan cars--it was simple to hold an electric on road race!!! Stock or modified-- and enjoy the racing---easy to get plenty of participants!! Now--with all the diversity of cars / motors/ speed controls etc--it's WAY to cumbersome to try and hold all these class's at a race!!! Simplify--and life will be easier and just as much fun!
T
+1

I can't help but feel this issue has partly come to us through the introduction of brushless to bring more classes too.

Now everyone has settled down into what kind of motor they like using in each class they race in, they expect the big races to have their preferred motors and classes at the said event.

If it's not there, chances are they will think twice about attending so it seems, especially with the distance some have to travel to race.

is mod too fast these days now we have brushless?

How about a 10.5 class? not too much power but enough to make it fast Less wear on the cars too.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by STLNLST
Wrong....I made SPX driver's walk off the stand with 199
HA ok clint
Old 08-13-2010, 09:20 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

wasn't 199 a "team version?

Like owenracing said not at swr, re: tekin before spx

and then even if it was true, which it was for sure at 203,
then everyone had to buy a laptop , more $ for stock again
Old 08-13-2010, 10:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mini-Mod
I think George Lin and I were the only ones that ran 17.5x and mod TC at the nats.
Holy mother of FAIL. Eric - are you not part of Team TOP? Did you forget about EJ and Martin Crisp?

Originally Posted by StickyFingaz
Ling ran both BADLY , buddy. Oh, and Arthur Scrimo.
Sticky - I clarified your statement.

Thanks to Norcal for another well run event. I love this place even when I dial myself out of contention.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I think George Lin and I were the only ones that ran 17.5x and mod TC at the nats.
Wake up Mini!!! LMAO
Old 08-13-2010, 10:42 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by hanulec
syndr0me - i hope to see you running 17.5 super stock and modified at IIC. i'm not running a crazy mod motor -- probably 13.5 or maybe 10.5. i know i might get yarded slightly on the straight.. but it will still be better than going slower than 2009 Amateur 17.5 class w/ tekin 199/200.
I will be there! Both 17.5's and mod. I'm not sure I'm man enough to run something faster in mod, but I'll bring the motors so I've got options. I figured last year was close enough in amateur, so I kicked myself out. Maybe we'll get a chance for a rematch in another class this year.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:09 AM
Tech Addict

I guess I'm still tired. I need a vacation.

EJ and Martin were pitting on the otherside of the tables. I didn't even know they were racing.

Last edited by Mini-Mod; 08-13-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

I guess I'm still tired. I need a vacation.

EJ and Martin were pitting on the otherside of the tables. I didn't even know they were racing.
Aren't you 15? You've been on break all summer.

Or maybe it's all the fumes from painting all those bodies.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:31 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
I will be there! Both 17.5's and mod. I'm not sure I'm man enough to run something faster in mod, but I'll bring the motors so I've got options. I figured last year was close enough in amateur, so I kicked myself out. Maybe we'll get a chance for a rematch in another class this year.
Good man not sand bagging!!
Old 08-13-2010, 05:55 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JayL
yes it was, being part of the team myself then, it had at a bug in it, so anyone outside of the team not using it right could have had some bad issues with it!

but now, 208 is with us and all is good. better bakes and lower operating tempetatures.

It was a valuable lesson that team drivers test new software for a very good reason, not just because they are part of TEKIN and want to have an unfair advantage...

Bad things can and do happen sometimes and that is where the team are responsible for getting it right amongst the "glory days"...
Old 08-14-2010, 12:42 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JayL

Like owenracing said not at swr, re: tekin before spx

and then even if it was true, which it was for sure at 203,
then everyone had to buy a laptop , more $ for stock again
This was at SWR....Just ask Torres.....LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.