Search
Like Tree1Likes

HPI Super Electric RS4's W/Brushless system

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 02:22 PM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Never used the kit tires, from I was told they are not very good. Outdoors Iīm always using the 27R tires which work very good.

You really should use the wing with your Lambo. Over here most guys are using the Toyota GT One what is the fastest of the super RS4 bodies. Regarding suspension weīre using some hard springs like Assoc copper/purple. Also the small laydown front shocktower as provided with the Toyota. Kit springs wonīt work with fast motors.

Last year we had a race on a very big 1/8 gas track. Running a Speedpassion 4.5T on 6 cells was crazy fast and a lot of fun. Wonīt forget the 4.5T screaming on the long straight.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I have a set of 33R's in the mail. I'm looking forward to giving them a try considering the kit tires balloon like nobodies buisness at speed.

I also have a new rear gearbox & battery mount coming to fix a 40+mph slide into a curb. As for the wing, it's gone missing long ago as the look of it was ridiculous. I hope these few changes can take the 7.5R to it's potential.

Perhaps a new body is in order...
Old 02-28-2008, 08:18 AM
V12
Tech Elite

I think any body without wing wonīt handle, exception just is the Toyota as the wing is built in.
Regarding tires it will depend on track surface and temperature but until now I never was very pleased with the 33R as the 27R always did provide more grip. I think the 33R will be better than the kit tires anyway as kit tires usually are not very good. Another important thing are the tire inserts. On a slippery track the stock inserts could work but outdoors we usually are running the hard foam strips (4695) what are just the best inserts in my opinion.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Cool Full Field

The kit tires are junk! I run the 27R and 33R tires and they work well based on what the temp is on the track and ambient temp. We have always had great success out here in the Northwest with Super Nitro/Super Electric. I am bummed that the kit is discontinued. It seems you can still get parts though, so that is good. Not as easy as going to the Hobby Shop but you can find 'em. The website is being worked on right now and not much is available to see but it will soon......check it out when you have time and we will have some pictures and info. posted soon.

http://www.egtc-series.com

Last edited by Silver Cup; 03-05-2008 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Where can I buy the front belt??
Old 03-05-2008, 08:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well the 33R tires really did the trick. This car is a total blast to drive now. It's still a little loose at high speeds without the wing (lambo body), but it's more than manageable. The best part about the Super RS4 IMO is how it's capable of handling much rougher road than true 1/10th scale counterparts. I simply fly over manhole covers & drainage runs...

I would like to add that I too started out with some serious gearing issues when running brush motors. But since adding the Velociti 7.5R, I was actually able to reinstall the almost unused stock 81T carbon spur along with a 27T pinion. The motor just barely gets warm to the touch, after blasting an entire GP3300 pack through it which leads me to believe even higher top-speeds are attainable with this combo...

I would also like to add that a recent strip down of this car reveals that both the front & rear diff-pulleys were making contact with the upper crossover portion of the bulk-heads. I Dremeled them out so no contact would be made and that seems to free up a bit of drag. I also loosened the rear belt to the #4 tension setting to free-up the drivetrain a little. I even found that backing out the screw holding the two bearings in the front tensioner helps rolling resitance a little. All in all these changes did a bit to help free up the drive-train, but it could be better. I just wish you could adjust front belt tension as the stock tensioner just makes it overly tight causing quite of bit of unwanted drag.

I've also noticed that depending on what spur/pinion combo your running, the slack side of the rear belt actually slides across the motor can. There is a very fine line between setting the motor against the belt and having it sticking out the bottom of the car (I opted for the belt slide). No wonder this drive-train layout is obsolete...
Old 04-07-2008, 09:42 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Iīm also running the rear belt looser than stock setting but donīt remember the position I used. For the front belt I changed the tension quite from the beginning as itīs really too tight. I think Iīm running 2mm washers between upper deck and belt tensioner and this helps a lot. Maybe you have to adjust this on your own car as not all the belts are exactly the same length.

Most of the guys here are running the Toyota GT1 body and this is my new one I just got from the painter before last race.
Attached Thumbnails HPI Super Electric RS4's W/Brushless system-img_4501.jpg  
Old 04-07-2008, 09:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Do you guys think the HPI will be bringing the Super RS4 back?
Old 04-07-2008, 10:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by lutach
No! It was extremely unpopular in the US...

Originally Posted by v12
For the front belt I changed the tension quite from the beginning as itīs really too tight. I think Iīm running 2mm washers between upper deck and belt tensioner and this helps a lot.
Now why didn't I think of that?
Old 04-07-2008, 01:38 PM
V12
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 94eg!
Now why didn't I think of that?
Just a small change but big difference in rollingresistance and motortemperature. My frontbelt is fairly loose now but no problem even with a 4.5T BL motor on 6 cells.
For gears Iīm running 87t Xenon gear but thatīs working with the 4.5T just on very big tracks.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

If you don't mind me asking asking a favor:

-If you were to lift the front tires off the ground by lifting the center of the front belt (w/o battery aboard), how many centimeters (or inches) of deflection would you get? Thanks!
Old 04-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Exclamation Bring back the Super E !!

Originally Posted by lutach
man i wish they would. i love the Super E!!! i had mine then i sold it(regrettably)
then i got lucky and one of the guys who used to race with us still had his and so i bought his. so now i have one again. i dont think ill be letting go of this one.
i really hope Hpi is still going to make the bodies for these cars. they are getting hard to get and they discontinued the viper that was one of my favorite bodies for this car.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:34 PM
V12
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 94eg!
If you don't mind me asking asking a favor:

-If you were to lift the front tires off the ground by lifting the center of the front belt (w/o battery aboard), how many centimeters (or inches) of deflection would you get? Thanks!
By lifting the center of the front belt max. deflection is about 9-10mm or 3/8". This is for my older Super Electric what is about 2 years old with still the first belt. I think deflection will change a bit when the belt gets older but the belts from the Super E are very strong and donīt worn out as much as the belts from the narrow touring cars. This car was run with 17T HPI spec motors and sometimes 12T Modified motors as well.
I have another Super Electric what was made for brushless racing and as this car has just about 3 races so belts are a little tighter but not much. I changed some things on this car as itīs not used for the HPI-Challenge using front oneway, TRF shocks and Lunsford turnbuckles. For power Iīm using GM/Speedpassion BL 5.5T or 4.5T on 6 cells with a LRP TC Spec ESC.
One thing I didnīt like with the Super E are the screws, I did replace them with metric stainless screws right from the beginning on both cars. Also stock gears were replaced with Xenon gears.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:12 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BatMan99
man i wish they would. i love the Super E!!! i had mine then i sold it(regrettably)
then i got lucky and one of the guys who used to race with us still had his and so i bought his. so now i have one again. i dont think ill be letting go of this one.
i really hope Hpi is still going to make the bodies for these cars. they are getting hard to get and they discontinued the viper that was one of my favorite bodies for this car.
Donīt know if the Viper is discontinued but Stormer has exactly one at their shop.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Cool Soopa Stocks

I miss the Kyosho Super Ten Super Bodies as well....The Viper is discontinued and one of my favorites as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.