R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Belt Vs Shaft drive in 540 stock. . . . (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/42173-belt-vs-shaft-drive-540-stock.html)

Mabuchi540 06-06-2004 09:10 AM

Belt Vs Shaft drive in 540 stock. . . .

Does either one hold an advantage over the other when it comes to trying to make the most of this slow stock motor?

aviaar 06-06-2004 09:31 AM

I'm sorry. I was tired when I wrote this and it came out very rude and I apologize. My past experience tells me that both will perform about the same and each will shine in their own way.

Sorry, I think I'll go back to bed now.........

Please see my edit.......above

Mabuchi540 06-06-2004 09:33 AM

Originally posted by aviaar
Oh no, I thought this type of thing was over....I thought we clarified that EACH has its advantages and disadvantages and that BOTH will do absolutely fine.....

Well I did a search for Belt Vs shaft using 540 stock in the search section and nothing in a thread title came up sorry. :( And the forum posting rules do say "Be Descriptive" and I'm not talking about each methods inherent good or bad points but specifically how they may apply to the Johnson or Mabuchi 540's.

TWNathan 06-06-2004 09:44 AM

aviaar Oh no, I thought this type of thing was over....I thought we clarified that EACH has its advantages and disadvantages and that BOTH will do absolutely fine.....
Man that was kinda of rude. You could have at least given him a link to a previous thread. The only advantage a shaft has over a belt or vice versa. Is your personal driving style.
Ask someone at your local track. Usally they will let you take a lap so you can feel the differance.

psycho 06-06-2004 09:46 AM

The main thing is that you want a smooth drivetrain. This is true of any "spec" class. You can get the drivetrain to have very little drag on both types of cars and you can have a lot of drag on both types of cars.

Mabuchi540 06-06-2004 09:47 AM

Thanks.....

Originally posted by TWNathan
Man that was kinda of rude. You could have at least given him a link to a previous thread. The only advantage a shaft has over a belt or vice versa. Is your personal driving style.
Ask someone at your local track. Usally they will let you take a lap so you can feel the differance.

Well ok this should be easy then.

I'm only use to off-road at the moment.

My driving style with off road is that I prefer to brake late (depending on the sharpness of the turn) and swing/drift the rear around a bit (then power back on when pointed in the right direction) rather than "drive" the whole corner so what would be best suited to that?

JusBox 06-06-2004 09:57 AM

Re: Thanks.....

Originally posted by Mabuchi540

Well ok this should be easy then.

I'm only use to off-road at the moment.

My driving style with off road is that I prefer to brake late (depending on the sharpness of the turn) and swing/drift the rear around a bit (then power back on when pointed in the right direction) rather than "drive" the whole corner so what would be best suited to that?

It used to be that a shaft drive was more responsive in "point and squirt" driving but i think with the advances in belt drives they've narrowed the gap to where it's not an issue.

Mabuchi540 06-06-2004 10:00 AM

Thank you.....

Originally posted by AWOLsoldier
It used to be that a shaft drive was more responsive in "point and squirt" driving but i think with the advances in belt drives they've narrowed the gap to where it's not an issue.

Yeah point and squirt. So to adapt as easily as possible from off to on-road it USED to be a shaft would have been better for the transition but nowadays there's so little in it they can both be pointed and squirted so to speak?

TWNathan 06-06-2004 10:03 AM

AWOl is correct the cars are very close on performance.
That's why you should go to the on-road track and drive the different types. Most racer will be more than happy to help out.

rtypec 06-06-2004 10:17 AM

Existing Good versus Evil Threads

choose a car already... :)

Here are some existing threads that I found using the search engine:

Belt or Shaft?

Shaft vs Belt Pros and Cons??

Shaft vs. belt...The smartest thing I have heard yet!!!!

And here is a direct link to a comparison test of the same chassis using different drivetrains:

Both on one chassis - oh my!

Shaft Drive Versus Belt Drive

More search results:
How free is your drivetrain?

Shaft vs. Belt again

And these results are from the past 6-8 months. I'm sure there are A LOT more...

Mabuchi, you have started a lot of these "this vs. that" threads and I'm know you're intentions are good in that you want to choose the best chassis that will suit your needs, but you really need to do some research on your own and decide on your own. We won't be there to hold your hand when you go down to your hobby shop and pick up whatever you decide on :p

my 3.14159265358979323846 cents worth

Mabuchi540 06-06-2004 10:22 AM

Re: Existing Good versus Evil Threads

Originally posted by rtypec
choose a car already... :)

Here are some existing threads that I found using the search engine:

Belt or Shaft?

Shaft vs Belt Pros and Cons??

Shaft vs. belt...The smartest thing I have heard yet!!!!

And here is a direct link to a comparison test of the same chassis using different drivetrains:

Both on one chassis - oh my!

Shaft Drive Versus Belt Drive

More search results:
How free is your drivetrain?

Shaft vs. Belt again

And these results are from the past 6-8 months. I'm sure there are A LOT more...

And not one of your suggestions mentions specifically the dynamics or shaft or belt as it applies to the motor in question I know the pros and cons of each in theory but that's not my question.

and this has nothing to do with what car I'm getting had that sussed last night. :P

rtypec 06-06-2004 10:26 AM

Have you read those threads already and didn't find your answer? Wow, you read quick! These forums are a HUGE resource of information and you WILL find something in those links that will help you out in one form or another.

Mabuchi540 06-06-2004 10:28 AM

Originally posted by rtypec
Have you read those threads already and didn't find your answer? Wow, you read quick! These forums are a HUGE resource of information and you WILL find something in those links that will help you out in one form or another.
If it's not in the "be descriptive" heading I'm hardly about to read a dozen threads now am I. I searched for the specifics by enter 540 stock and nothing came up.

JusBox 06-06-2004 10:31 AM

Originally posted by Mabuchi540
If it's not in the "be descriptive" heading I'm hardly about to read a dozen threads now am I. I searched for the specifics by enter 540 stock and nothing came up.
just pick a car, they all do the same thing. you really think you're going to have an advantage with one car over another? not likely unless you're 100% able to tune to perfection.

ChrisP 06-06-2004 10:32 AM

You're not always going to be able to find information on the exact issue you request. Some information applies in general terms.

IF people could apply information to the Mabuchi 540 class...I suspect there'd be another thread started asking how the information applies to 1500 stick packs.

If you want the fastest possible laptimes try maintaining corner speed instead of pointing and squirting. That will be your best chance at being competitive in touring car. In a tightly controlled class liek the one you will be running, maintaining speed could mean the difference between a win and a loss.

I understand that your driving style has been point and squirt...mine was too until I started driving 1/12 scale on a tight track and found that I was faster in a straight line...but my lap times were also higher.

By smoothing out the lines the car didn't seem to be quite as fast, but lap times dropped significantly...

Just my $0.02...and I know how much you value them from your responses in your other threads:weird: