Wiki Posts
Search

Best car for asphalt?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 09:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Best car for asphalt?

Anyone have some thoughts on the best 1/10 car for running outdoors on asphalt/pavement?

This probably should be a second thread, but I'll try it anyway. Is there any insider info about Traxxas coming out with a new electric version of the 4-Tec?

-----
I have no experience with RC sedans, but I'm very interested as there are plenty of driveways, culdesacs, and parking lots to utilize for racing. The question about Traxxas has to do with the waterproof electronics and their durability.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:52 AM
Tech Adept

don't know about traxas, but for asphalt you can go with any car from major brands: asso, hpi/hot bodies, schumacher, tamiya, xray, and some new brand like top, 3racing, avid etc.
Top cars are comming in kit so you have build it yourself and you have to buy eletronics and all other acessories separatly.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Shaft Drive vs Belt?

How do they handle the debris that you normally find outdoors like dirt, dust, pebbles and such? I ran my SC18 truck in my driveway, and it was full of all sorts of junk from just a few minutes. Any longer, and I probably would have stripped gears from the debris filling the drivetrain. Team Associated sells the truck as "sealed drivetrain". That's part of my major concern, and the catalyst for posting this question(s).

So is a shaft drive better than belt when it comes to handling debris?

BTW - Thanks for replying. I fully recognize that there are a ton of options in this class. That's why I tried to qualify my query to the drivetrain and durability.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:28 AM
Tech Elite

If you are playing get an AE TC4. It has an enclosed drive train.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by visual_rabbi
How do they handle the debris that you normally find outdoors like dirt, dust, pebbles and such? I ran my SC18 truck in my driveway, and it was full of all sorts of junk from just a few minutes. Any longer, and I probably would have stripped gears from the debris filling the drivetrain. Team Associated sells the truck as "sealed drivetrain". That's part of my major concern, and the catalyst for posting this question(s).

So is a shaft drive better than belt when it comes to handling debris?

BTW - Thanks for replying. I fully recognize that there are a ton of options in this class. That's why I tried to qualify my query to the drivetrain and durability.
As far as handling debris, a shaft car is better than a belt car. But if the internal gears are not sealed you will get rocks in the gears. You could put a wire mesh over the chassis to keep the larger rock out of the gears.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 251 (100%+)

Losi xxxs has an enclosed belt drivetrain and is good for parking lot racing, wont take a lot of abuse though. Arms tend to break when you meet the curb as most cars do.

If you want a cheap car built like a tank you could always get a tt-01, just depends on how competitive you want to be.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:29 AM
Tech Addict

Tamyia TB03
Shafty drive
all gears are fully enclosed
Old 07-28-2010, 01:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Schumacher Mi4 LP.