R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-23-2010, 05:45 PM   #1
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Rubber tires..lil confused...

So i am a lil confused and feel stupid to ask. With rubber tires the higher the number the harder the compound correct? Higher number means higher temps. Now is this with all manf? For example i have a set of take off cs27 but just bought a set of sorex 32r. The sorex seem to be alot softer and stickier but i would think it should be a harder tire. Here in fl at my local tracks 36r 4and rp30 seems to be the popular tire. Just trying to wrap my head around this. Also one of the guys i paint for has some speedmind sorex 32r that he will let go for 15 a set. Worth it? Thanks guys
Alex B
Kyosho America/Byron Fuels/J concepts
For all your painting needs!
Elite Paint Workz
mist467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:54 PM   #2
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

in general. not necessarily accurate across brands but within brands, the higher the number the harder the tire..
WWW.STORMERHOBBIES.COM helping keep pan cars alive!

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
Tech Lord
Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

for some companies higher= harder,some are the opposite,this was talked about a few months ago and some posted a chart for the tire hardness
Jamie W
*Team Tekin*TLR Racing*DE Racing*92 Zero Design*AKA*DDHRC*
20 SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Generally that number is supposed to be a temperature rating in Celsius degree. I usually only compare tires within the same brand though, because every manufacture does it differently. Even tires within the same brand are somewhat weird. the Sorex 36R has a HUGE temperature range it works in, but the 32R has a very small one.

RP 30s and Take of 27s have a pretty similar temperature range to each other, but its much different than Sorex's. Sweep generally has two major compounds in the EXP lineup. I use EXP30s when the track temp is under 90 deg F. Anything above that I tend to switch to EXP36s.

Just depends on the tire. But as others have said, the higher that number is, the harder the tire is.

Pro Spec America/Apex RC - Team ORCA - Awesomatix USA - Roche RC USA - AVID - Sweep - Protoform - Pro-One RC - Slapmaster Tools - Hebiki Design Works - Turtlemaster Racing - Seattle RC Racers - Timezone Hobbies
Korey Harbke is offline   Reply With Quote