Wiki Posts
Search

Understanding spools...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 07:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally posted by fatdoggy
Front oneway forever, I dislike running dual diff's so a spool up front would be horrible.

Q? when you change to a spool what would you do to a standard dual diff setup? increase toe-out? Get rid of front swaybar?...
I didn't have to do a whole lot... you could do that or just go a pound lighter on the front spring or run 3deg caster blocks... minor stuff.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Yeah, just make some minor changes to get yourself a little more turn in. Remember, you're going to be braking hard which transfers a lot of weight forward. I added a little rear droop to get it to transfer even more forward. Also depending on what car you're running, on the Losi you can use the overdrive pully on the front to add some turn in on the car. My spool is a 41 tooth overdrive pully with diffrings and steel outdrives all JB Welded together. Like I said, it's murder on CVD's but mad grip coming out of corners and awesome amounts of braking.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Just got back from testing at our carpet track... first time with a spool. Ran my MI2 on foams... started with my base setup for this track and I didnt have to change anything. The car turned in great and the spool eliminated my "diffing" problem coming out of the corners. so far I like it!
I could hear my front CVD's chattering in the tight corners so I am sure its harder on them
Old 06-01-2004, 08:57 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

For me it seemed like it was harder on my out drives(as in wearing them out very fast)I should work with driving with a spool..but I just like running with a oneway..
Old 06-01-2004, 09:02 PM
Tech Champion

I use steel outdrives with it so that's not as much of a factor. But the plastic ones would wear very fast.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:15 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Alum. ones did not last long..at least the Xray ones did not.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

Spools are really hard on the front universals on most cars and chattering is pretty normal. You can use some Tamiya Anti-wear grease on the CVD joints, and on the outdrives of the spool. This will help cusion and reduce the rate of wear on these parts. I ran the Reedy Race this weekend as well and I was surprised that I didn't have to rebuild my universals at all this weekend.

Sometimes spools are better on tracks with lower bite as well. The tendency of the spool wanting to make the car push will help stabilize the car on a low bite tracks

Steve Wang
Old 06-01-2004, 11:19 PM
Tech Elite

I'll give a spool a shot on carpet this weekend(Ball diff locked up completely). I've never run a ball diff on carpet let alone a spool so it will be a very big learning curve. Thanks MikeR, jkerr0043 for the setup info.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:01 AM
Tech Master

surely lowering front shock oil or raising rear shock oil would yield the greatest difference when running a spool?
Old 06-02-2004, 09:15 AM
Tech Champion

I was actually running a fairly heavy front oil and spring and lighter rear oil and spring with it. I made up a lot of turn in with the overdrive and with bump steer changes and droop.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:32 AM

Xtreme RC Cars Magazine March'04 issue have 4 pages article explain diff, one way, and spool very well. Answer most of our questions.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by fatdoggy
I'll give a spool a shot on carpet this weekend(Ball diff locked up completely). I've never run a ball diff on carpet let alone a spool so it will be a very big learning curve. Thanks MikeR, jkerr0043 for the setup info.
I ran with a locked-up ball diff this afternoon, definately not what I expected. Steering wasn't a problem unless I blew a line. I'm actually running 65% dual rates compared to 75% I ran with my one-way. Cvd clicking didn't seem to be a problem, they were only going to 65% throw. Before I dropped my car on the track I did as was advised(less caster, more rear droop and lighter shock setup). It worked like a charm. I had a little too much rear droop though. Definately faster then the one-way I was using and easier to be consistant too(but it took two battery packs to get used to it). Cheers.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:13 PM
Tech Champion

Glad you liked it. Were you on carpet or asphault? I've never run on carpet but I have always been told that one ways are never used on carpet. What car are you running?
Old 06-04-2004, 09:32 PM
Tech Elite

Carpet with a corally C4ag. A pic of the track is below, but the track infield is tighter now.

http://www.rctrack.com/images/facility/track1.jpg

I only ran stock through last winter so I got away with a front one-way(car actually ran pretty well). In 19t or mod though dual diff's were the norm. I'll definately be running either a tight diff or a spool though next winter though after trying it today.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Spools with foam tires will act exactly like a oneway on power.Not a good thing with Foam on carpet.Make the car unstable because of all the onpower steering.I have heard of only a couple people having success with a spool on foam on carpet.Oneway with rubber tires on carpet on the other hand will work fine depending on the track layout.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.