R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-18-2010, 06:44 AM   #16
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

ur plug look like that? any more info on pack. 6 cell nicad, nimh, 1700 1500 3000 etc etc?

is the pack about 5-6in long 2in wide? 15cm x 5cm roughly? or is it smaller.

i do not recognize ur radio. sounds like somethin lowend leftover from another car. i'd buy a better radio from the start. airtronics mx3, futaba 2pl or 3pm, whatever u can afford.

but then honestly i can see ur starting out, and as easy as it is for me to say go buy the RTR and start out. the 1st thing ur gonna find holding you back at the race track (if thats where u wanna go) is the radio that comes with the RTR.

so i'd advise the kit (either tt01 or ta05 whateva u choose) and a proper radio. a good battery and charger. i'd go into this from scratch and sod off the stuff u already have. it doesnt sound like anything u want to use gettin into this hobby.

UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:56 AM   #17
Tech Apprentice

Yes mine looks like that would you be able to give me a list and add it all up and estimate the cost?
supercrazy618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:05 AM   #18
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Only problem with telling someone to buy a TT01, is if that guy wants to get serious, he has just wasted whatever he just spent getting the TT01, chances are 'everything' bought for the TT won't be good enough to go racing for real.

It's the worry about buying anything less that a full race spec car, also the issue with anyone who buys a toy rather than a racer, I tend to agree with others who think it ends up driving more people away than it keeps at tracks.

But then I suppose it also does give them a taste at least, which may lead them to 'want' to spend more on race gear, but talk about some long term cost.

The reality of the toys is you also can spend an awful lot on something that won't last the distance, often half or more what a real setup would have cost, but then full race spec stuff is not cheap, I'm up around $800 on my latest kit setup, but at least it should race well, I hope.
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:31 AM   #19
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

What classes are they running? What's your interests in the hobby? I'm guessing you are interested in racing. Honestly the best thing to do is listen to Carbon Joe. He is been around for a while and is pretty handy on advice in this addiction. Go check out your track and see what's going on there. I have been only doing this for about 3 years and I started with an associated Tc3 it certainly was not as nice looking as the other cars in the pits.... But it's covered on the track. I was able to take that to the top in sportsman sedan at my local over xrays and all the other brands I'm my class. The thing is is if you want to compete most of the chassis out there are capable for what you are trying to do. Makes sure the drivetrain is smooth and roll with it. I know guys that go to tcs races and wheel the crap out of Tt-01's. Remember also you do get what you pay for. In something like a tub car chassis the hinge pins , turnbuckles and other metal material components of the car will be weaker compared to the "usual" race chassis, All that of course is upgradable but I realized the higher end stuff really is stronger I'm most cases. Also I think a belt driven car is more efficient. Doesn't the tt-01 run on belts? Good luck on your decision and happy racing!!!
Serpent 733 EVO
Mikes Hobby shop-Porter Texas/ Gulf coast Raceway"Electric Is For Hairdryers"..Eric Koger
Chris Totcky@facebook.com
Tha Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:39 AM   #20
Tech Master

Definately get the TA05 it's a great club racer. You don't need a carbon chassis car. Especially as others at your club have them so there will be alot of people who can help you with set-ups etc.

You can win races with a TA05 and it is also a great car to learn with.

TRF419, TBEvo6, TT02, VDF, TRF501x, TRF201, TRF101, Mi5, X-Ray T4-13, BD7 2014, A700 Evo, WR-02G
Qatmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:19 PM   #21
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Qatmix is right the TA05 is a great club car and does well at our club. I have a TF5 RTR which I have gradually upgraded and is probably now better than the driver ! lol !
That is also important, there's no point in having the top notch car if you can't drive it. You need to make the change gradually.
I started with a TT01 and noticed a huge difference when I changed to the TF5 even though it is probably supposed to be the same entry level standard.
Go for the TF5 or the TA05, depending on your preference for belt or shaft. I prefer shaft because I don't want to mess with belt tensions and having to replace them. Another factor is that you can't run belt outside if there is a possibility of getting stones in your drive train.

Qatimix - you didn't mention your carbon MS version !! - that is a great car, and can be upgraded to from the basis tub chassis.

Yokomo BD7 RS, Modified Spec-R S1, Schumacher GT12, Tamiya M03, M05, M01, M03RWD, MF01-X, BSR M-Rage, ABC Gambado, Associated TC4.
32819toon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:10 PM   #22
Tech Master

double post.
I love wedge bodies. I love dish wheels.
heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:10 PM   #23
Tech Master

TTo1 is a waste of money IMHO. Except for the 24 hour case, of course I can see the point of choosing this model, but other than that...

The TA05 will get the guy much more for his money. A driver recently made the A main at the French nats with a hopped up TA05. Ok it's "only France" but the level is really very, very decent.

the best deal in you case supercrazy, would be to buy a new tao5 V2. Buying used is really not a good idea if you are not experienced.
I love wedge bodies. I love dish wheels.
heretic is offline   Reply With Quote