Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Double One-ways? >

Double One-ways?

Double One-ways?

Old 06-06-2004, 05:54 PM

Default Double One-ways?

Hi Guys

I was just toying with the idea of installing double one ways. Not the usual center one way and front one way diff. However, front and rear one way diffs.

I could think of the following advantages:

1) No drag brake, faster turn in. Not withstanding no brakes.

2) Anyway, stock class TC, I normal drive without using brakes. I know this setup will not slow car down at all due to no motor drag brake.

3) I know people run front one way on Minis M03, similiarly no brakes.

4) Better coasting, like brushless, coasts forever, this means longer battery endurance = longer fun.

5) Faster acceleration.

Is this workable? Anyone ttried it before?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-06-2004, 05:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If it worked......the pros would do it...and I have never seen a setup with it or heard of any pro running it at a race.

Later EddieO
Old 06-06-2004, 05:57 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I haven't tried that, but for some reason it doesn't sound feasible. But what do I know?? Give it a shot, might work!
Old 06-06-2004, 07:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

I havent ever tried it .. but I have looked into it ... and personally I cant stand oneways anyways .. but to make it work .. you would have to modify one of the oneways in the car to put in the onewaybearings backwards to get 4 drive wheels and not front wheel drive with rear brake ... a serious downfall to this is not braking to dive under someone in a corner ... you would end up doing a lot fo rubbing .. and probibly end up earning a lot of unhappy competitors .. so give it a shot on an open preactice day first ... just a thought ... or warn everyone so they have the option to clear the track ... just my thoughts on it ... personally I run a spool and a tight diff ... good brakes .. and I can drive it hard in .. whip the tail and power out of the corners resulting in when done properly a lot better lap times ...

have fun racing ...

E
Old 06-06-2004, 11:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Post Re: Double One-ways?

Originally posted by RC1q2w3e4r
Hi Guys

I was just toying with the idea of installing double one ways. Not the usual center one way and front one way diff. However, front and rear one way diffs.

I could think of the following advantages:

1) No drag brake, faster turn in. Not withstanding no brakes.

2) Anyway, stock class TC, I normal drive without using brakes. I know this setup will not slow car down at all due to no motor drag brake.

3) I know people run front one way on Minis M03, similiarly no brakes.

4) Better coasting, like brushless, coasts forever, this means longer battery endurance = longer fun.

5) Faster acceleration.

Is this workable? Anyone ttried it before?

Thanks in advance.

WOW!! interesting concept; is that even feasible? if someone tries it, let us know.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default DOUBLE ONE WAY

Before you go and try this thinkk of how a one-way works. When in a corner a one-way provides on power pull of the car through the corner. If you go and put that second one way in the rear you are gonna put a solid rear axle on power in the rear of the car. The inside and outside tires will not be allowed to turn at different speeds i.e. A diff does. So the one way is gonna make the car wash out everytime you hit the throttle in the corner. Yeah th car will be quick through the cornewr off [pwer but you can't let it coast from the apex out. But, go ahead and try. Good luck.

RRR
Old 06-06-2004, 11:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

There is no room for mistakes.

There are no brakes, not even drag brakes.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have tried double 1-ways before, replacing the front and rear diffs. I thought the same way as far as the excitement about it and the logic behind it.

The problem is no brakes, so you have to anticipate turns early and/or slow down earlier after a fast straight. With this setup you really have to work harder in traffic and getting around the track. Surprisingly your brakes are how sharp you turn your wheels so it is not eternal coasting.

I tested it and put a few batteries through it and felt that it was too hard to be competitive and very easy to wipe people out. You really cannot freight train with other cars with this setup.

If you want to try the setup try it. I probably would save money and just focus on better single 1-way setups.

Like other people say, if it is really great many people would use it. If you are running a high-speed track with no slow turns or using a Mabuchi motor, then who knows it might be a good choice. I have not used it since, even on a high-speed no slow turn track.

A-ko
Old 06-06-2004, 11:52 PM
Tech Master

Wink

Been there tried that in off-road it's great for Oval racing that's for sure but sometimes you might actually want to stop.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:56 AM
Tech Regular