Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motor Question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2002, 04:00 PM
Tech Regular

Angry Motor Question?

I have a Trinity D4 13x3 motor. I bought it probably a month ago and now i have been hearing that I need to buy new brushes and springs. I bought brushes, but they do not that the metal tab on the end that gets attached to the motor. How do I attach them? And for the springs what would be the best bet for me to get. I am not a serious racer but a backyard basher with my XXX-S. Any comments would be great.
Old 03-31-2002, 04:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Take it to your lhs and have them turn the comm and get some new brushes. Re-use your springs and buy a comm stick and some motor spray. Clean the motor with the comm stick and motor spray every two or three runs (dont forget to relube the bearings) and you'll be set.

Last edited by benraldo the ho; 03-31-2002 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-31-2002, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

And about installing the brushes that don't have those eyelets, they have to be soldered on(at least that's best, there is another way, but I'm not sure it's a good idea for mods)....
Old 08-17-2002, 09:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hi......is it important the change the brush and clean the comm...wat is the disadvangtage of not doing that?
Old 08-17-2002, 11:21 AM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The disadvantage of not trueing the comm would be faster brush wear, and lowered performace.

As the motor gets used, the comm will slowly go out of round. That will cause the brushes to bounce and arc, wearing them down much faster than a trued comm would.

Putting the armature on a comm lathe cuts the comm to the same diameter all around, removing low and high spots.
Old 08-17-2002, 07:36 PM
dtm
Tech Champion

Also your brush/comm wear rate goes up exponentially after the condition deteriorates to a certain point! ie. brushes start to bounce.

Especially if you are running high silver content brushes. I use to use Atlas 076 brushes (high silver). If you trued the comm after around 8 packs, it would take about 4 passes to clean up. If you ran it for 10 packs it would take around 10 passes!!! Kills your comm big time!!
Old 08-17-2002, 10:56 PM
Tech Elite

I ran a stocker for about one years with no new brushes and no comm cutting. BAD IDEA, when you look at the comm there's a huge drop down from the original comm size, brushes are shot but I did clean it out with motor spray alot Trust me, get your comm cut and brushes changed as frequently as possible. O yes and I try'd the old put some more tension on the shot springs by bending them the other way trick as well as the old round out the brush ends so they don't catch trick, lmfao you can't say ARK loud enough. Keep you motor in good condition and it will keep you on the road.
Old 08-17-2002, 11:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by TSR6
The disadvantage of not trueing the comm would be faster brush wear, and lowered performace.

As the motor gets used, the comm will slowly go out of round. That will cause the brushes to bounce and arc, wearing them down much faster than a trued comm would.

Putting the armature on a comm lathe cuts the comm to the same diameter all around, removing low and high spots.
Exactly!

Also, as you run your motor, friction, arcing and generally conducting electricity through the comm and the brushes will cause the surface of your comm to "burn" and turn black and tarnished - this lowers the efficiency of the electric conducting (not as much power gets through).

Comm loses its smooth, very round surface.
Brushes don't contact as well (bouncy bouncy)
Brushes wear faster
Less conducting, more burning