Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 06:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Throw a carpet down that will solve your traction issue
Old 07-09-2010, 06:42 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Radio Active
Ok, yes, there might not be enough grip for anything sensible. Magic might be the best option. But let's assume that someone actually sells something that will work. Can we try and complete this sentence:

If anything will work it will be _________.
CARPET !
Old 07-09-2010, 09:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Many years ago(25+) foam tires coated with silicone caulk and grooved with a comb with of all things Triflow sprayed on the track seemed to work well. This was pre-differential era. However, it sure made it hard to play basketball the next day on the surface!
Old 01-28-2011, 02:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Can anyone give me some more tips for applying the silicone caulk? How much foam should be left on the tyre the caulk is applied to? Does the compound of the foam make much difference? How thick should the caulk be? And how important is the grooving/tread pattern?
Old 01-29-2011, 07:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Do not for any reason go to silicone for hard surface racing. You will have the stuff coming apart all over the place. You have two ways to do this. Get some asphalt sealer which rc cars cannot run on. Then put a bunch of sand in the mix and spread it over the track. Spray the track the day before the race (very important) and you may get a season out of it before recoating but it still may not give the traction you want. Do a small test first. Slicone will work if you are racing on smoot dirt like a clay oval or, a basketball court. It works great there. The best option for concrete would be to run cars that have rubber tires. Touring, F1, rally, Mini's etc. Or find a church with a nice asphalt lot and have races on saturday.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by alphacat
Many years ago(25+) foam tires coated with silicone caulk and grooved with a comb with of all things Triflow sprayed on the track seemed to work well. This was pre-differential era. However, it sure made it hard to play basketball the next day on the surface!
Everything I know I learned from alphacat. He's been around for a while and was the first sponsor of the cave 3 Neanderthal Nat's. He was beating some girl with a club the first time I saw him. She married him and they are still together. But now she has two German Sheperds to keep an eye on his F1 racing self.

Hey! are we ready for the Texas F1 race!
Old 01-31-2011, 06:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mxrich
Do not for any reason go to silicone for hard surface racing. You will have the stuff coming apart all over the place. You have two ways to do this. Get some asphalt sealer which rc cars cannot run on. Then put a bunch of sand in the mix and spread it over the track. Spray the track the day before the race (very important) and you may get a season out of it before recoating but it still may not give the traction you want. Do a small test first. Slicone will work if you are racing on smoot dirt like a clay oval or, a basketball court. It works great there. The best option for concrete would be to run cars that have rubber tires. Touring, F1, rally, Mini's etc. Or find a church with a nice asphalt lot and have races on saturday.
I don't have any ability to modify the surface, nor am I buying another car. I really just want tips for how thick the silicone should be etc.