Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree20Likes

Team Associated TC6 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 11:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I haven't had any issues with the kit bearings... and that's running MOD class the entire year almost every weekend, I'm surprise to see people having issues with bearings
I just keep my car clean, no dirty accumulated at the bearings, and they still smooth.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

It is quite common to not have bearing failures, and it really has little to do with maintenance, so long as you don't put your car through unreasonable abuse. The bearing failures are caused due to poor quality control from the manufacturer of the bearings, not even AE. Avid, for example stress tests every single bearing batch they receive and only accept the highest quality ones. If the bearing batch is no good, it's not sold. It is really hard for car manufacturers to do this, as bearings are not their "trade" focus. The AE bearings are good, there are just bearings out there that are better.

I for one, am not a hobbyist that settles for "good enough" I like to use the best stuff, hence the reason why RSD came to be.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:14 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JamesL_71
How quickly are yall going thru the 6x10mm bearings in the front hubs? After 2 weeks, I have substantial play in left front bearings, mild play in the right front, mild play in the left rear.

Im just getting back into TC racing, so Im a little rusty. But I wasnt tagging walls broadside, just a couple front taps on the bumper.

Is this a known problem area? Are there more durable bearings available(like the Acer Ceramics)?
Very quickly. I've only run my TC6 about 6 to 8 race days and pulled the bearings to check on them and found 3 CRACKED 6x10 bearings. The bearings were still smooth but the outer race had actually split on 3 of the 4 outer hub bearings. My track doesn't have fixed barriers so they move if the car hits the barriers and I haven't crashed my TC6 near as hard as I used to hit my TC5r. My TC5r never split a bearing once and the original kit bearings lasted about 6 months. I also use a custom Parma front bumper on my TC6 that I carved from a block of their high density foam so bigger bumpers are not the answer to increase AE bearing longevity. All of my AE bearings felt quite stiff out of the bag compared to Avid out of the bag. I degrease all and use light oil but the AE bearings still never got as smooth as the cheap Avid. My solution to the AE bearing issue was to replace with Avid $1 bearings.

Final straw for me and my TC6 was when I stripped an arm mount thread in a rear bulkhead in relatively slow speed collission.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

WoW i checked my bearings today and the first one i check is cracked
Old 09-19-2011, 03:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

I have fitted Sakura's bearing in my car, they are tighter in hub than AE and are cheap also, just for you to know...
Old 09-19-2011, 06:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

I just bought avid bearings ill see how long they last hope they hold up.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I've been working on setup on my TC6 and noticed on some setups, the team drivers make changes under Outer Ball & Shims, such as black 2mm, or silver 3mm. I'm assuming this is just the color of the ballstud and the thickness of shim? What is the difference between black and silver ballstuds? And are you guys using the 10mm ballstuds to make it fit with shims?
Old 09-19-2011, 07:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by RC.Jon22
I've been working on setup on my TC6 and noticed on some setups, the team drivers make changes under Outer Ball & Shims, such as black 2mm, or silver 3mm. I'm assuming this is just the color of the ballstud and the thickness of shim? What is the difference between black and silver ballstuds? And are you guys using the 10mm ballstuds to make it fit with shims?
Im pretty sure that silver is a little longer and yes many people use 10mm ball studs so they dont strip out.

P.S I noticed you have a tc6 and a trf417 just wondering which car do you like better????
Old 09-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Just purchased a new kit and hope to have it this week for buildup. Never raced Onroad, but looks extremely fun. Coming into this from many years experience with offroad and continue to race these classes. Any "must haves" or "changes" recommendations when building this kit for best performance. Planned to use a Mazda Speed 6 body. Is stock setup good or are there any good starting setups for asphalt/rubber tire/10.5T motor limit/2S/no ESC timing restrictions. Appreciate any chassis setup recommendations or assistance in pointing me in the right direction to obtain.
Thank you,
Old 09-19-2011, 08:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
+1 on the Avid bearings. I tested their bearings in the TC6 for Avid vs the AE bearings and once I replaced them with Avids I have not had a single bearing failure.

David, the owner of Avid will tell you himself, Ceramic bearings are not worth the extra price in your cars. Performance increase is negligible, if any at all. For the price your could technically replace all the bearings 4x with steel bearings, which will really outlive the life of an average chassis. Save the ceramic bearings for your Nitro Engines and perhaps inside your diffs where heavy loads are applied.
+2 on the Avid Bearings and Steel vs. Ceramic. They (Ceramic) will allow things to spin at higher rates, but the durability/price of good Steel bearings seem to be a better choice.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Little John
Im pretty sure that silver is a little longer and yes many people use 10mm ball studs so they dont strip out.

P.S I noticed you have a tc6 and a trf417 just wondering which car do you like better????
Thanks..I noticed the black ones are listed as short while silver is long, that explains a lot. I'm not a pro or anywhere close, I'm pretty new to onroad, but I like Tamiya and it does seem to have better quality parts, although the Tamiya screws are awful. The 417 seems to be much smoother (drivetrain, suspension, etc) but I don't have much experience yet with the TC6. The 417 feels like it's built to win, every little detail is perfect. Although I love the fact I can find TC6 parts anywhere and they're cheap. If I had to pick one it would be the 417...there's a reason it's the car that wins so many races. I had an Xray for awhile and couldn't stand spending the premium price for parts, and the whole "xray does not break" theory is completely untrue..it does break, things wear out, and parts are like 3 times the price.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well, I made it to step 1.... Anyone else missing the shock piston bushings in their kit?
Old 09-20-2011, 05:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rangerjkb
Just purchased a new kit and hope to have it this week for buildup. Never raced Onroad, but looks extremely fun. Coming into this from many years experience with offroad and continue to race these classes. Any "must haves" or "changes" recommendations when building this kit for best performance. Planned to use a Mazda Speed 6 body. Is stock setup good or are there any good starting setups for asphalt/rubber tire/10.5T motor limit/2S/no ESC timing restrictions. Appreciate any chassis setup recommendations or assistance in pointing me in the right direction to obtain.
Thank you,
Ironically I used Keven Hebert's carpet mod setup on asphalt with just a few changes (I had a 5.5 boosted). Instead of silver/green springs I ran 16.5/15.5 RSD springs. The car drove great and was VERY easy to drive. You might need to make a few minor changes but it was very close for me.

Also look at Jeff Cuff's 13.5 asphalt setup I'd provide links but replying on my phone............
Old 09-20-2011, 05:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

All the setups are on AE web site, Rick updates them regularly.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
I think a wider front bumper will help these bearings a bit . Associated have a reputation of soft and small bumpers that make every other part in their cars look weak . Parma should be a good start, and if they don't make one for the tc6, you can buy the 3"x8" foam blank and cutout your own !!!!
I used the Parma TC5 bumper, the holes match, just cut out the center to fit the TC6, works great!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.