• 1 Post By Dan
  • 1 Post By geeunit1014
  • 1 Post By Airwave

Unusual class (8.5t blinky)

Old 10-14-2020, 06:25 AM
Tech Adept

Default Unusual class (8.5t blinky)

Hi guys,

Coming back to the hobby after many years, discovered that at my local track people race touring cars with 8.5t motors without timing at the ESC (blinky). This is very unusual, right? I can't seem to find information about 8.5t blinky on-road...

I'd like some insights regarding battery choice. Should I go towards 'mod spec' batteries for better CG and wheight distribution or 'stock spec' would be a must as the 'punch' and capacity would be much needed in this case(?) . I don't have a clear understanding if a 8.5t motor at blinky mode would require a bigger battery than a 17.5t motor at blinky mode, for example (considering all the rest is equal - proper gearing, same weight, etc.). It's an asphalt track with mixed layout.

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2020, 06:38 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Unusual class. Go with the lighter, lower CG battery. Battery IR is less important the faster the motor is.
mr.rev likes this.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:52 AM
Tech Adept

Thank you Dan!

And about capacity? I now that this can be tricky as there are many variables, but in general would a properly geared car with a 21.5t motor draw more or less energy than with a 13.5t motor? (more mAh drained from the battery after each run)
Old 10-14-2020, 07:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mr.rev
Thank you Dan!

And about capacity? I now that this can be tricky as there are many variables, but in general would a properly geared car with a 21.5t motor draw more or less energy than with a 13.5t motor? (more mAh drained from the battery after each run)
Faster motors will always draw more power. That being said typically smaller batteries are ran for faster cars now, due to wanting less punch, and the physically smaller/lower CG packs handle better for mod. The thin shorties you see in carpet mod now are around 4000mah, which is about the bare minimum needed for a run in mod. For this class, a safe bet for a pack would be a ulcg (19.5mm thick) pack for carpet or maybe a lcg (22mm) for asphalt.
mr.rev likes this.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:05 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks G!

Where I live we have very limited options for batteries to choose from. I narrowed down to these two based on availability and price:

1) Nosram - LiPo HV LCG 6700mAh Graphene-4 - 120C/60C: 999657 (274g)
2) Nosram - LiPo HV 7300mAh Graphene-3 - 130C/65C: 999552 (304g)

Mains are 6 minutes long here, and as I said before, class is TC 8.5t blinky. Based on that, what battery would you pick? Battery 2 is 10% cheaper. Appreciate your help guys.

Last edited by mr.rev; 10-18-2020 at 05:13 AM.
Old 10-19-2020, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Interesting choice of motor. I would fo for a 7000/7200.

By the way from the test we made, 8.5 blinky is quite the same as 13.5 boosted. Do you have some video of your local races?
mr.rev likes this.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:29 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks Airwave. Guess I'll get the 7300. It's cheaper and we'll see how it goes capacity-wise. If it's too much I'll go down a bit in the future for better CG.

Unfortunately I don't have videos. Class was supposed to start this year, but due to the pandemics it was postponed to next year.

Where I live it rains a lot this time of year, so races are not scheduled to this period.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Ok, where are you located?

This is the kind of speed we can achieve :
Old 10-20-2020, 08:02 AM
Tech Adept

I'm in Brazil.

Our local track is a bit bigger, faster and bumpier, but also outdoor asphalt. I'll take a better look later.

I think people here chose to run blinky as a way of lowering costs while mantaining some sort of fairness. From reading about it, it looks like it doesn't work that way more often than not... lol
Old 10-21-2020, 11:37 PM
Tech Elite

I can only agree with you. Imposing blinky will mostly result in the phenomen often called "motor of the week" and the abusive usage of batteries to compensate...
Old 10-24-2020, 08:52 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Airwave
I can only agree with you. Imposing blinky will mostly result in the phenomen often called "motor of the week" and the abusive usage of batteries to compensate...
Isn't that happening in every class? Everyone is in the search for faster equipment even in modified. The only class where it should not happen are spec classes where a certain motor and ESC are mandatory like we see in the European ETS. And even then people are in the search for the motor and ESC with the best tolerances.

This choice reminds me to the old Dutch brushed modified class. Only 12 turns motors were alowed.

And basically nothing is wrong with the idea, it keeps the speed within a normal limit and blinky keeps away from a like 200 page manual and an exam to learn all settings of an ESC
Old 10-24-2020, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

It is probably the case, but with the level of the drivers here, 95% of them have enough power with 13.5 boosted. Sometimes we have to explain to the beginners that it is better to have a slower car which they can control than an uncontrolable rocket...
About the ESC setup it is just a habit in fact. Setup is pretty easy and we try to publish as setups as possible. Hobbywing is auto-mode is really nice by the way...