R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes

Old 12-04-2012, 12:30 PM   #8206
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I personally like the ball diff.. Ive been through different gear diff options, and i find better results with the ball diff in stock classes. Its easy to adjust, easy on parts (balls/ring). I cant remember the last time i rebuilt it, and its still buttery smooth.

www.localrcracing.com
bagged69chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #8207
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to BAD007SUZUKI
Default WEST EAST SERVO

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good mod or parts to move the servo from the north/south config to the west east config like the newer cars. It seems with the worlds car I have that, that would have been as updated as possible. Does it make sense to have the servo turned 90 degrees? My s411 is turned. The Yokomo and Xray are turned. Why would Associated keep it front/rear?
BAD007SUZUKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #8208
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD007SUZUKI View Post
Why would Associated keep it front/rear?
Associated must feel it doesn't make enough of a difference.
jha07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #8209
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Can anyone point me in the direction of a good mod or parts to move the servo from the north/south config to the west east config like the newer cars. It seems with the worlds car I have that, that would have been as updated as possible. Does it make sense to have the servo turned 90 degrees? My s411 is turned. The Yokomo and Xray are turned. Why would Associated keep it front/rear?
Main reason is tooling. It is expensive to make a lot of changes to a car year-to-year. Associated has always had evolving platforms and the TC6.1 Worlds has just not gotten to that evolutionary part in their design. Performance wise there might not be a big difference, but having he servo east-west increases space for your electronics, which in turn allows you to play with weight balance a little more. Changing the servo orientation involves more than just a hole change in the chassis.

Same with the dual bellcrank steering. Changing it over would imply having to re design the battery holding system and yet again another chassis revision change. Not to mention the tooling for the bell cranks which is really expensive.

So far the TC6.1 Worlds performs good enough to win races nationally. As long as this is the case, the sales will keep coming and the changes will be lesser.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:10 PM   #8210
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the input. The Losi 5T is my expertise, if anyone needs any advise.
Jones Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #8211
Tech Master

I agree that it is a very good car. Associated has more than proven that their cars work. I had 3 Serpent s411's and now I have 1. Whats that say? (That I can always go back to a trusted winner). Just kidding.
But the only thing I can personally compare my worlds 6.1 to, is my updated V1 S411. Which is a V2/Team now. It would seem to me that because Associated decided to go with a narrow chassis (1/4" per side thinner than the V1 6.1) that they were looking for more flex. In turn, it would seem to me that they kinda negated that by mounting the servo the way they did. ON A FLIP NOTE...........BEFORE YOU GET ALL BOTHERED........... I ran faster laps with my stock setup 6.1 than I did with my 2 season old S411 that I know and understand. Keep that in mind before commenting.

I understand tooling, and "If it aint broke, don;t need bother fixn' er" I just wanna see some mods to this car.

All I am saying is, is there a better solution or mod I can do, or did Associated divide by zero already and figure out how to time travel? Why are they still a north south configuration where as everyone else has gone east west. Thats all im asking. HELP MY SMALL BRAIN UNDERSTAND OBI-WAN
You guys are great. Good input and quick reply's. Thanks for being bossanova.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
Main reason is tooling. It is expensive to make a lot of changes to a car year-to-year. Associated has always had evolving platforms and the TC6.1 Worlds has just not gotten to that evolutionary part in their design. Performance wise there might not be a big difference, but having he servo east-west increases space for your electronics, which in turn allows you to play with weight balance a little more. Changing the servo orientation involves more than just a hole change in the chassis.

Same with the dual bellcrank steering. Changing it over would imply having to re design the battery holding system and yet again another chassis revision change. Not to mention the tooling for the bell cranks which is really expensive.

So far the TC6.1 Worlds performs good enough to win races nationally. As long as this is the case, the sales will keep coming and the changes will be lesser.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #8212
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:

All I am saying is, is there a better solution or mod I can do, or did Associated divide by zero already and figure out how to time travel? Why are they still a north south configuration where as everyone else has gone east west. Thats all im asking. HELP MY SMALL BRAIN UNDERSTAND OBI-WAN
You guys are great. Good input and quick reply's. Thanks for being bossanova.
I looked in to mounting the servo east/west on the stock chassis with the stock bellcrank. I ended up not doing it, because doing so would reduce the travel the servo needs to go from lock to lock, which was not what I was looking for. What this means is the steering will be smoother with the north/south location. Changing to the east/west with dual bellcranks instead of a single is a completely different story though.

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/LRP/Sweep Racing/RSD/Middle River Hobbies/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:53 AM   #8213
Tech Master

Default indeed

Makes sense. I do have an idea on how to do it with the stock bellcrank. If it works.............
Old 12-05-2012, 07:38 AM   #8214
Tech Regular

Johnnytc3 - the main reason I am considering trying the ball diff in the rear is for the racing I do - harder spec rubber tires on medium grip asphalt, 17.5 blinky geared to the moon. With the gear diff the rear of the car can get pretty loose sometimes. A friend suggested using a ball diff instead of the gear diff in the rear after having a lot of success with it in some major races. I thought I'd give it a try. I like the spool up front, and will see how the ball diff in the rear works out.
markg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:57 AM   #8215
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

For a looser track, try a gear diff with a really heavy oil and/or some putty in the front rather than a ball diff in the back.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #8216
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
For a looser track, try a gear diff with a really heavy oil and/or some putty in the front rather than a ball diff in the back.
+1

I suggested using the gear diff in the rear and ball in the front...although a gear diff in front with puddy would probably work nicely as well.
bertottius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #8217
Tech Regular

Hmmm. Interesting - so you're saying gear diffs front and rear, heavy oil or putty front, and lighter oil rear?? Might have to give it a spin...thanks for the input.
markg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #8218
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

It helps smoothen out the response so it's not as darty as a spool may be. I ran mod for the first time over the weekend, with a 5.5t motor. I used to run 13.5 boosted. With the 13.5 I liked the diff in the front as well as the rear. Running mod I like the spool. I still have the diff ready for a smaller track as well.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:48 AM   #8219
Tech Fanatic

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]Finally got the car done, Im siked to race it
Jones Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:10 AM   #8220
Tech Master

That workbench is WAY too clean!!!

USVTA #144
IndyHobbies.com is offline   Reply With Quote