R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-02-2012, 04:12 AM   #7936
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,871
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

KCChief-It was making something that everyone has- electrical tape under the battery.It works and cheap fix. Look back afew pages you'll find it. I did it to mine-3 strips of tape and it worked fine.
__________________
Team Epic/Trinity -Michael Bruce Hobbies-Team CRC ,Kimbrough Products and GForce.
WGT-R, GT Racing USA (17.5 foam), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:01 AM   #7937
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Sweden
Posts: 407
Default

when i tried the yokomo springs i did cut rings of lexan and glued to the springcups to make them fit better

didnt like the feeling in them so didnt bother to find a better solution. for me they were too progressive. i do love the rsd springs!
__________________
Team Associated TC7.1 - Hobbywing - Highest - Sanwa - Gens Ace
Team Associated B5R - Hobbywing - Highest - Sanwa - Gens Ace
Bappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:53 AM   #7938
Tech Fanatic
 
Resqnu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 968
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default Front spool/diff question

Just finished the build, all went well. Had 2 small issues. Missing 2 screws, but found them in another pack and installed wrong washers on diff. Manual wasn't clear on which size went where. Be sure and put small diff washer on the diff outdrives and larger under the sun gear.

I have raced 4wd sct and 1/8 e buggy for a few years. All diffs are gear diffs.
My question is about the front spool/diff. Why does the front diff not allow the tires to work independently? The front drives are locked together. Is it not needed or are you guys upgrading to the front slipper or gear diff. Any info on this matter would be helpful to understand.
__________________
WoodyzArt.com custom painted RC bodies
Resqnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:17 AM   #7939
Tech Regular
 
RussF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Salt Lake City Utah
Posts: 410
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC10Chief View Post
Okay. I could have sworn I saw something in this thread about something for the battery to sit on. I just bought the RSD battery hold down thing for my 6.1 WC. I installed it tonight. I'd like to just but a small strip or two of something down to keep it from sliding around so much. Maybe some sort of adhesive backed felt?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullFrog View Post
KCChief-It was making something that everyone has- electrical tape under the battery.It works and cheap fix. Look back afew pages you'll find it. I did it to mine-3 strips of tape and it worked fine.
This is what you are looking for:
http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/asso...erLiPoBattery/

Its easy and seems to work great. I use tape to hold my battery in, but I dont see why it wouldnt work with velcro or the RSD system.
__________________
SaltLakeMini-Z.com, HowFastAreYou.com
RussF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #7940
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Central Washington State
Posts: 131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resqnu View Post
Just finished the build, all went well. Had 2 small issues. Missing 2 screws, but found them in another pack and installed wrong washers on diff. Manual wasn't clear on which size went where. Be sure and put small diff washer on the diff outdrives and larger under the sun gear.
Funny, I had the exact same problems. Which screws were missing?

I had read a build guide online that said to make sure the bigger shim went on the outside of the gear diff. Everything went great until I tried to put the bearings on ugh. Ended up having to take it apart and rebuild it the correct way.

Quote:
I have raced 4wd sct and 1/8 e buggy for a few years. All diffs are gear diffs.
My question is about the front spool/diff. Why does the front diff not allow the tires to work independently? The front drives are locked together. Is it not needed or are you guys upgrading to the front slipper or gear diff. Any info on this matter would be helpful to understand.
I went with a front gear diff after some research. I guess it's largely a feel thing but a lot of the pros use a gear diff front and rear. Also most people will say to use a super heavy oil/putty in the front so that it almost acts like a spool, but again if you look at some race winning setups from the pros they use what most people would say is "light" oil in their diffs.

Looking at pros setups has been very educational.
__________________
HPI Sprint 2 Flux - GPM and OEM hop ups
AE RC10TC6.1FT - partial WC conversion, RSD hop ups
3Racing FGX - IFS, OEM Aluminum, Exotek hop ups
Vostok 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:59 AM   #7941
Tech Fanatic
 
Resqnu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 968
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default *

*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vostok 7 View Post
Funny, I had the exact same problems. Which screws were missing? Think they were 3x8mm

I had read a build guide online that said to make sure the bigger shim went on the outside of the gear diff. Everything went great until I tried to put the bearings on ugh. Ended up having to take it apart and rebuild it the correct way. Must have read the same guide..lol



I went with a front gear diff after some research. I guess it's largely a feel thing but a lot of the pros use a gear diff front and rear. Also most people will say to use a super heavy oil/putty in the front so that it almost acts like a spool, but again if you look at some race winning setups from the pros they use what most people would say is "light" oil in their diffs. What gear diff? Only see one way and slipper spool online.

Looking at pros setups has been very educational.
__________________
WoodyzArt.com custom painted RC bodies
Resqnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #7942
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 008-Racer View Post
Sorry to ask a daft question!

I have purchased a set of Yokomo springs to try out but how do you guys get them to sit correctly on the shocks?

The Yokomos have a larger diameter than most other brands?

On mine they just slide around and catch the suspension arms and as they move about they change the ride height!!

Does anyone else have any suggestions on this?
008-Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #7943
Tech Elite
 
CristianTabush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,769
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC10Chief View Post
Okay. I could have sworn I saw something in this thread about something for the battery to sit on. I just bought the RSD battery hold down thing for my 6.1 WC. I installed it tonight. I'd like to just but a small strip or two of something down to keep it from sliding around so much. Maybe some sort of adhesive backed felt?
Make sure you take up the side to side slack on the battery by using some servo tape and/or Lexan on the battery stop at the center of the chassis to space the battery out slightly. Using our Belt tensioner/ battery spacer can help as well.

When setting up the tabs, leave 0.3-0.5mm of space in between the battery and the tabs. Since all battery brands are slightly different, you will need to use slightly different spacing to get this done right. Adjust it by shimming the posts up and down.
__________________
REFLEX RACING/ RSD/ GIZMO RACING USA/ HOBBYWING/ AXON/ QTEQ/ TEAM PRIME
CristianTabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #7944
Tech Elite
 
CristianTabush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,769
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 008-Racer View Post
Does anyone else have any suggestions on this?
Use Spec-R1 Shock Rod ends and Spring cups. Tamiya will work as well, but are more expensive.
__________________
REFLEX RACING/ RSD/ GIZMO RACING USA/ HOBBYWING/ AXON/ QTEQ/ TEAM PRIME
CristianTabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #7945
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Central Washington State
Posts: 131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resqnu View Post
*
An AE gear diff will fit front or rear, just have to make sure the bearing cams are put on the right sides, should be "flipped" compared to the rear.

There's also a Spec-R gear diff that will fit front or rear but my understanding is that the AE diff is actually smoother and more forgiving to build.

My screw troubles came when installing the rear bearing caps, I was supposed to use 4 M3x6mm button heads but I only had two, so I ended up using two M3x8mm button heads that seemed to be left over.
__________________
HPI Sprint 2 Flux - GPM and OEM hop ups
AE RC10TC6.1FT - partial WC conversion, RSD hop ups
3Racing FGX - IFS, OEM Aluminum, Exotek hop ups
Vostok 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #7946
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Sweden
Posts: 407
Default

the ae diff is better, just build it after the manual and it should be fine
__________________
Team Associated TC7.1 - Hobbywing - Highest - Sanwa - Gens Ace
Team Associated B5R - Hobbywing - Highest - Sanwa - Gens Ace
Bappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #7947
Tech Addict
 
rigelkent09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ILLINOIS
Posts: 635
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default set up help

copy mike haynes set up in my tc6.1, his belt tensioner/holder in the rear gear diff was in position 6 and i did notice a little loose in the rear belt, is it normal??thanks for the help...
rigelkent09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:27 PM   #7948
Tech Master
 
wtcc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,227
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigelkent09 View Post
copy mike haynes set up in my tc6.1, his belt tensioner/holder in the rear gear diff was in position 6 and i did notice a little loose in the rear belt, is it normal??thanks for the help...
As long as there is no slip he might have used it to finetune the carbehaviour on acceleration. Otherwise just make it a little tighter.
__________________
/// CAUTION: Rogue robot \\\
wtcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #7949
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,871
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

I use HD Velcro for my battery straps. Had some pretty good hits and it did not move. Maybe later I'll try the other battery holder.
__________________
Team Epic/Trinity -Michael Bruce Hobbies-Team CRC ,Kimbrough Products and GForce.
WGT-R, GT Racing USA (17.5 foam), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #7950
Tech Fanatic
 
Resqnu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 968
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vostok 7 View Post
An AE gear diff will fit front or rear, just have to make sure the bearing cams are put on the right sides, should be "flipped" compared to the rear.

There's also a Spec-R gear diff that will fit front or rear but my understanding is that the AE diff is actually smoother and more forgiving to build.

My screw troubles came when installing the rear bearing caps, I was supposed to use 4 M3x6mm button heads but I only had two, so I ended up using two M3x8mm button heads that seemed to be left over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bappe View Post
the ae diff is better, just build it after the manual and it should be fine
Thanks
__________________
WoodyzArt.com custom painted RC bodies
Resqnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
THE TRACK RACEWAY Apex Mid Atlantic RC Racing 28961 07-11-2017 01:29 PM
Team Associated TC5 RCknight Electric On-Road 13254 05-12-2017 07:58 AM
Team Associated TC6 KostaG Electric On-Road 8 07-04-2010 11:42 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:05 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net