R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes

Old 10-29-2012, 04:42 AM   #7861
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So now I need your help guys! It would also be nice if you, Rick (Hohwart), could give a comment.

I had a race on very high grip carpet last weekend and had two major problems with the car:

1. grip roll
2. very slow cornering

The setup sheet shows my setup in its final development stage on sunday (I arrived with a quite common setup on saturday). The overall handling/balance was very good, but the car was like slow motion in the corners and wanted to roll in the fast flowing corners.

Here are some pictures of the track. It has a very slim racing line with sticky traction:

Old 10-29-2012, 05:30 AM   #7862
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtcc View Post
So now I need your help guys! It would also be nice if you, Rick (Hohwart), could give a comment.

I had a race on very high grip carpet last weekend and had two major problems with the car:

1. grip roll
2. very slow cornering

The setup sheet shows my setup in its final development stage on sunday (I arrived with a quite common setup on saturday). The overall handling/balance was very good, but the car was like slow motion in the corners and wanted to roll in the fast flowing corners.
Not too much camber at front?

Maybe some ca-glue on front tires sidewalls? It will do for you 'slipp' on that fast corners and front end will slighty push not roll over ...
TC6!, TC5R, 12L4, 12R5.1, 10L2, 10R5, RC8T_CE_EL custom F1 chassis
http://www.wgtshop.com/
M.Abramowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:02 AM   #7863
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Lower roll center, harder tires and less droop is a good place to start. Exaggerated negative camber can also help but you will want to leave that as a last resort due to tire-ware issues.
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:27 AM   #7864
Tech Regular

Quote:

1. grip roll
2. very slow cornering

Here are some pictures of the track. It has a very slim racing line with sticky traction:

where was the car grip rolling? Entry of Corner Exit mid?
The way the car is set up it looks like you are trying to get alot of off power steering? If it was me I would run less rear droop to start you state only 4.5 i would try like 5.5-6
Also i would drop your rear diff fluid from 3000 to maybe like 1000 or even lower
Another piece would be switch your springs around run purple up front and then blue in the back.
Also maybe less sauce time, maybe like 15 or less?
Just some ideas for you.
Thanks Jason
Old 10-29-2012, 08:33 AM   #7865
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default Revtech 17.5....HT rotor or not

I will be running a new Revtech 17.5 motor in my car. Should I use the stock rotor or the High Torque rotor?
Old 10-29-2012, 09:10 AM   #7866
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzo3 View Post
Is there slop in the wc version? How do I fix it on a regular 6.1?
The hinge pins should be tight in the hub carrier and the caster block. You can drill a hole in both parts and use a set screw to remove slop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vostok 7 View Post
Can anyone tell me if the turnbuckles are set to different lengths between the FT and the WC? Also if there are any special instructions for the bearing caps?

The manual for the WC isn't up on the AE site yet.
They are the same length and there are no special instructions for the bearing caps. Their installation is self explanatory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFuel11 View Post
Who is running a Gear Diff in the front?
I run a gear diff on asphalt. Silicone ear plug material works well. You want to start by filling it as much as possible then you can remove some material to tune it.

I have also played with 1 million weight silicone. This feels the best in my opinion. There is a company that sells 2 million which would be even better I think.

Quote:

1. grip roll
2. very slow cornering

You can try one or more of the following:

1. Widen the track at the suspension mounts. I think your car is too narrow for very high grip. I would add 2mm to each side at the front. Then possible add some to the rear starting with .5mm.
2. Longer wheelbase. Go to 1mm as shown on the setup sheet.
3. Less negative camber -1 to -1.5 all around.
4. Lower ride height if you are allowed to and the car does not drag.
5. Lower suspension mounts. Try 1 step at a time all around and see if this helps.

But it could be something as simple as tire additive. I would start by reducing the time you leave the additive on the front tires. Try 30 minutes in the rear and 10 minutes on the front to see what happens. You can also cover less of the front tire. At the very least do not extend the additive tot he edge. But 50% coverage might be good.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #7867
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resqnu View Post
I will be running a new Revtech 17.5 motor in my car. Should I use the stock rotor or the High Torque rotor?
Blinky- high torque
Boost- stock rotor is fine
Old 10-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #7868
Tech Adept

Thanks Rick, my second set of WC bearing caps should be here soon.
Vostok 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #7869
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm new to the TC6.1, so I don't know if this is normal. After my second race, I notice a CVA blade was broken. That same day, another guy at the race broke two CVA blades, but he was running a much faster motor. Is there something that can be done to make them last longer?
jha07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:44 AM   #7870
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jha07 View Post
I'm new to the TC6.1, so I don't know if this is normal. After my second race, I notice a CVA blade was broken. That same day, another guy at the race broke two CVA blades, but he was running a much faster motor. Is there something that can be done to make them last longer?
These will break from impact. The motor power is not really a factor than that when you run a faster motor you tend to hit the wall harder.

There is not much that can be done to solve the problem other than to try and hit fewer obstacles. Using the slipper spool instead of the straight spool can lessen the impact and will definitely improve blade life. A very tight gear diff will do the same.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #7871
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default Set up tools

Thank for everyones help....I ordered the TC6.1ft. I will be messing around in parking lots and trying racing on a concrete track.
What are the minimum set up tools needed for a tc? Not looking to spend to much as this is my first try at touring and want to make sure I like. But I also want to be able to set my car up as needed to enjoy the car and bring it up to racing standards. I've been racing sct 2 &4wd for years and spare no expense on them. I hope I will enjoy racing tc just as well and if so with buy the best set up tools.
Many thanks for everyones help.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:48 AM   #7872
Tech Master

Thank you very much guys! I will try these things!

Did I have an error in reasoning when I tried shorter higher positioned armmounts to make the car less roll?
Old 10-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #7873
Tech Elite

Quote:
Thank you very much guys! I will try these things!

Did I have an error in reasoning when I tried shorter higher positioned armmounts to make the car less roll?
It will roll less this way. Lowering them will allow the car to roll more and may make it less likely to snap over.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #7874
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
What are the minimum set up tools needed for a tc?
The kit droop gauge and a good square ruler are really all thats needed. Its easy to eyeball camber from the ruler and measure each turnbuckle. Make sure to measure on a flat surface and you should be fine.

However a ride hight gauge is a good investment and will make measuring ride hight much easier. Also RPM makes a cheap camber and toe gauge.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #7875
Tech Elite

Quote:
Thank for everyones help....I ordered the TC6.1ft. I will be messing around in parking lots and trying racing on a concrete track.
What are the minimum set up tools needed for a tc? Not looking to spend to much as this is my first try at touring and want to make sure I like. But I also want to be able to set my car up as needed to enjoy the car and bring it up to racing standards. I've been racing sct 2 &4wd for years and spare no expense on them. I hope I will enjoy racing tc just as well and if so with buy the best set up tools.
Many thanks for everyones help.
In my opinion you need the following:

1. Flat setup board (3 racing makes a nice carbon fiber one)
2. Ride height gauge that reads in .2mm increments (Hudy)
3. 10mm setup blocks (any brand)
4. Digital calipers
5. Camber gauge/block that reads in .5 deg increments

The droop gauge that comes in the kit is OK although I use digital calipers/setup blocks to measure if even from side to side.