Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Team Associated TC6 Thread >

Team Associated TC6 Thread

Like Tree20Likes

Team Associated TC6 Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 06:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks for the lessons guys, very informative. I purchased a used TC6.1, so I'm not sure what it will have. Interesting, using the very heavy weight oil to make the diff act more like a spool. I am just getting into VTA racing with my son, as I thought it would be "simple". I guess nothing is really simple once you dive in. ;-)
Old 06-21-2012, 09:08 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by JesusFreak
Thanks for the lessons guys, very informative. I purchased a used TC6.1, so I'm not sure what it will have. Interesting, using the very heavy weight oil to make the diff act more like a spool. I am just getting into VTA racing with my son, as I thought it would be "simple". I guess nothing is really simple once you dive in. ;-)
Nope. More than meets the eye. But then the term simple is relative. Anythings only as hard or simple as you make it.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:12 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by vito
will a 5 trun to 7.5 on will be ok speed on a 2s lipo with some good gears.
Slooow down a bit man. You might be making this thing faster than youre ready for. And this is an expensive car to wad up. Stay away from 3s, I know I am.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by KH
U used 1000k in your front diff?
I pulled my Fathers Day card on the wife and went last Sunday to do some testing! I started with the spool and went to the gear diff with the heavy fluid to try and pick up a little steering, I liked it.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:02 PM
KH
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mike nelson
I pulled my Fathers Day card on the wife and went last Sunday to do some testing! I started with the spool and went to the gear diff with the heavy fluid to try and pick up a little steering, I liked it.
I did some testing the day after that. I Switched back and forth from a putty diff and the spool. I liked both but in different areas of the track. I was more consistent with the spool but I really liked the putty diff in some areas. I want to do the same test on a race day track prep.

We will talk.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If stock the TC6.1 should have a rear gear diff and front spool. Your car will be fine as is with those pieces. My advice is if you got the car used is to tear it down and build it back up. If you don't have the manual you can download it off Associated's website. The kit setup should be a good starting point or you can download one of of the setup sheets their racers post. Good to learn how the car goes together and make sure the previous owner didn't screw up the build. Also you can identify parts tht may be broken/bent that need replaced. Starting with a fresh car makes dialing it in worlds easier.

Good luck!
Old 06-22-2012, 07:43 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Not sure if TC Chassis set up is new to you.....if it is, then make sure you buy a "Tweak Station" to set up shock preload. If the spring pressure is off on one shock, you'll have a high-end car that won't handle correctly, (in fact, hard to drive)
Old 06-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by red7fifty
Not sure if TC Chassis set up is new to you.....if it is, then make sure you buy a "Tweak Station" to set up shock preload. If the spring pressure is off on one shock, you'll have a high-end car that won't handle correctly, (in fact, hard to drive)
OK, more education. ;-) What is a "Tweak Station"?
Old 06-22-2012, 11:35 AM
Tech Adept

OK, more education. ;-) What is a "Tweak Station"?
Tweak Station, is two independent flat bars, that pivot. A bubble level is used to make sure the front "axis" is on the same plane as the rear "axis"

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRTZ9&P=7

Think......"twisted or not twisted chassis"

A simple (basic) camber gauge to begin with (that measures the angle of the wheels)....you can move up to a fancier alignment station when you feel it would benefit you.

And, if you like an in depth working knowledge of suspension and alignment set up, the book by XXXMain, # B001 "Touring Car Set Up Guide"
Old 06-22-2012, 11:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Here is another really good FREE setup guide. Just reading this guide from beginning to end turned on alot of light bulbs in my brain. I printed the last few summary pages to reference at the track and find myself going back and re-reading this guide pretty frequently and it seems I pick up something I missed or had forgotten every time I read it. I cant even tell you how many times I read this and have something "click" in my head that explains something I noticed while at the track but didnt really know what to do about it.

http://users.telenet.be/elvo/
Old 06-22-2012, 02:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the info. guys, sorry to hijack the thread with newbie stuff.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:30 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the info. guys, sorry to hijack the thread with newbie stuff.
Glad to help. Remember, comp level cars, are all about the set up.
If the car handles like crap, it is usually, a set up error.
Doesn't take much, between being dialed, and not-dialed.
I've had huge handling problems go away, for instance, when my rear droop was uneven from left to right by .5 mm, or one shock was 1/4 turn off on the preload collar. The Carbon Fiber chassis is so rigid (compared to, say, a Sprint2 ) that proper set up is VERY VERY important for a proper handling car.
Precision set up, will result in a precise handling car.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:11 PM
Tech Elite

Everyone's right. It's all about proper Set-up.
When you are Novice to this Hobby, Set-up is very hard to understand at first. You need to get a grip on understanding the common dynamics of Set-up.

"Your (driving-style) Set-up... Not always someone elses."

My car may have the fastest laps of the day or I might be sitting TQ, but the next guy drives it and he may not like it. Your driving style!

jhautz- Glad you posted that website. If you didn't, I would have. I have learned sooo much from reading that from cover to cover. I have every single page printed and in a binder.
I call it... "The Racers Bible"
Old 06-24-2012, 01:10 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jhautz
Here is another really good FREE setup guide. Just reading this guide from beginning to end turned on alot of light bulbs in my brain. I printed the last few summary pages to reference at the track and find myself going back and re-reading this guide pretty frequently and it seems I pick up something I missed or had forgotten every time I read it. I cant even tell you how many times I read this and have something "click" in my head that explains something I noticed while at the track but didnt really know what to do about it.

http://users.telenet.be/elvo/
Great Link !!!!!!!!
Old 06-24-2012, 01:28 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by justchris
Great Link !!!!!!!!
+1

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.