Search
Like Tree20Likes

Team Associated TC6 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 06:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LasagnaCat
At Leisure... no. We have two 6.1's, one stock and the other has the Reflex dcj's. While the dcj's make it look/feel nice on your car stand, lap times are the same for me with either car - no difference in on-track feel either. Both have identical setups/gearing/etc., the only difference is the dcj's. Maybe on a smaller, tighter track (or on carpet?) it may make a slight difference... but I'd either save the money or spend it elsewhere. Loose side note, remember that most people are looking at the full-lock wheel chatter with the car up on a stand and with no load on the suspension... hard to see what's really happening with the car on-track and at speed in a corner.

How much time is spent at full left/right anyway? A good entry line will eliminate a lot of that on a large flowing track. Full wheel lock is often after you've either not slowed down enough and/or entered the corner wrong - the point of no return.
+1

Just because it feels better on the stand doesn't mean its actually faster on the track. I've done the same comparisons with the TC6 designer, Bob Stellflue at AE. If you look at the shape of the TC6.1 caster blocks, they were molded with DCJs in mind as a future option. AE has other competing projects that take up R&D and manufacturing priorities. DCJs can be problematic to manufacture. Materials, design, manufacturing tolerances, and parts support have to be considered. Especially when the design is local and the manufacturing is not. I wouldn't count AE out of the DCJ market, just wouldn't look for them in the immediate future.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:07 PM
AE-Reedy

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jhautz
I was just reading the comments below about the front wheels chattering when turning. I was trying to figure out how to get rid of this just last night. I am putting together a new TC6 kit and as I was testing things I noticed that it had some really bad wheel chatter when the wheels were turned to full lock. I couldn't find anything wrong and assumed it was the CVDs causing it. But I also have a TC6.1 that I already had and that car does not have any wheel chatter at all. The front wheels stay perfectly smooth. Is there a difference in the CVDs from the TC6 to the TC6.1? I didn't think there was a difference, but I am pretty new to these cars and on road in general. I know I would freak out if one of my off road cars has that bad of a vibration when turning.

I'm trying to figure out why one of my cars has such severe chatter and the other has none at all. Something seems weird. I bought the TC6 kit from someone who had partially built it but never got around to finishing it so the CVD's were already assembled when I got it. I'm wondering if they did something wrong when they put them together since my other car is so smooth.

One thing I did different on the smooth TC6.1 was when I built the CVDs I left the set screw out of it since it had the snap ring to retain the pin and I put a piece of shrink tube over the snap ring as added security. This is something I did on my offroad cars to help reduce wear of the pin and joint in the CVD. Im wondering if removing the set screw and letting the pin move a little more free in the joint would help cut down the vibration. Anyone ever find a solution for this? Or maybe a way to make it less severe. I dont really want to spend a bunch of money on fancy aftermarket CVDs, Im just planning to use this for a VTA car. It just bugs me as it is.
The cvas are different from the TC6 to the TC6.1. Axles different size and bones slightly different length, not sure actual measurment. The biggest difference though is change in vendor, seems to be better tolerances on the new cvas.

Also leaving the set screw out will for sure make the cva smoother.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sean Cochran
The cvas are different from the TC6 to the TC6.1. Axles different size and bones slightly different length, not sure actual measurment. The biggest difference though is change in vendor, seems to be better tolerances on the new cvas.

+1. Most team guys leave the set screw out and use shrink wrap to hold the CVA pin. ANY car that uses standard CVD-type axles has wheel chatter.

Mike
Old 05-08-2012, 06:37 PM
KH
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sean Cochran

Correct. The axle is different cuz the 6.1 uses 5mm bearings instead on 6mm like the tc6. The rebuild kit and the dog bone will interchange even though the 6.1 is a "hair" shorter.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

At Leisure... no. We have two 6.1's, one stock and the other has the Reflex dcj's. While the dcj's make it look/feel nice on your car stand, lap times are the same for me with either car - no difference in on-track feel either. Both have identical setups/gearing/etc., the only difference is the dcj's. Maybe on a smaller, tighter track (or on carpet?) it may make a slight difference... but I'd either save the money or spend it elsewhere. Loose side note, remember that most people are looking at the full-lock wheel chatter with the car up on a stand and with no load on the suspension... hard to see what's really happening with the car on-track and at speed in a corner.

How much time is spent at full left/right anyway? A good entry line will eliminate a lot of that on a large flowing track. Full wheel lock is often after you've either not slowed down enough and/or entered the corner wrong - the point of no return.
Thank you thank you thank you
Old 05-08-2012, 09:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (90%+)

Originally Posted by erchn
Good race report. Thanks for sharing! Do you have a setup sheet to share with racers coming in for the Reedy race?

Not yet, the car's not perfect. Trying to keep up with all those pesky Sputniks at my track... you and Dom have those Russian engineering marvels running really well.

There are alot of TC6.1's running really good at the track though! Jelich finally made it out for once and looked like the world-class stud that he is... crazy. Reedy Open Mod contender fsho!
Old 05-10-2012, 09:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

hey guys, can anyone give me a ballpark of where to start with gearing. Im new to onroad, it will have a revtech 5.5t
Old 05-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Check the Novak website for gear ratio chart, for suggestions on starting point.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jirish617
hey guys, can anyone give me a ballpark of where to start with gearing. Im new to onroad, it will have a revtech 5.5t
What's the track size? On a 100ft straightaway track, I would start around 27 or 28/115.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:26 AM
KH
Tech Adept

at leisure hours my sonic 5.5t likes 7.25fdr.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
What's the track size? On a 100ft straightaway track, I would start around 27 or 28/115.
this is directly off the tracks website
Onroad track 220x75x220x125

here is a video someone posted of this past weekend, to give you better visual idea of size
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX4LX...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-10-2012, 12:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

That's a long straight, so. 7.2 sounds about right...
Old 05-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

Im new to onroad, it will have a revtech 5.5t
That didn't make anyone else nervous?
Old 05-10-2012, 09:17 PM
KH
Tech Adept

That didn't make anyone else nervous?
Lol. I just started tc this season and my first motor was a 5.5t. On this large track it's really not that much motor. I'd say the majority run a 4.5t.

With the 5.5 just start with the boost low and turn it up as u get better.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:03 PM
Tech Elite

I started TC with 3.5t on a mid sized indoor track . A strong motor is no problem as long as you can control your finger...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.