R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes

Old 03-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #6271
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

When going from the TC6 to the TC6.1, is it possible to just get the CVA axle and use the existing CVA bone, or is a new CVA bone required because of the change in the arms?

Thanks in advance.

Someday, I hope to be the man my dog thinks I am.
StewartFan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #6272
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The bones are different part numbers.
red7fifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #6273
Tech Regular

I'm pretty new to the onroad scene and just wondering if it's really worth it to run lightweight bodies? I read about guys saying it's a big improvement, but i'm just worried about trashing a body after a night or two of races or practice.

How fragile are they compared to the normal weight bodies?
WillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #6274
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartFan20 View Post
When going from the TC6 to the TC6.1, is it possible to just get the CVA axle and use the existing CVA bone, or is a new CVA bone required because of the change in the arms?

Thanks in advance.
thats what i did, just replaced the axel works fine

ed

Last edited by Edwin Pibal; 03-19-2012 at 07:45 PM. Reason: cant spell
Edwin Pibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #6275
Tech Initiate

i got 7075 BULKHEAD, 7075 UPPER BULKHEAD, 2.25mm Carbon Chassis from HK
Attached Thumbnails
Team Associated TC6 Thread-p1020964.jpg  
asuradahk001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #6276
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillD View Post
I'm pretty new to the onroad scene and just wondering if it's really worth it to run lightweight bodies? I read about guys saying it's a big improvement, but i'm just worried about trashing a body after a night or two of races or practice.

How fragile are they compared to the normal weight bodies?
I haven't found a big difference in fragility. The thicker ones don't give as much before cracking. But cracks can propagate faster in lightweight ones. Once I tried a lightweight, I can't bring myself to back to regular weight. The car just works so much better with the lightweight, particularly in terms of resisting traction roll.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #6277
Tech Initiate

I'm really enjoying driving my TC6.1, it's a great improvement over the original TC6 imo. It has bags of steering, therefore is awesome on the tight and technical tracks.

My only complaint would be that the car lacks rear traction out of slow corners. I race on a low-med grip, medium sized astro carpet, using Schumacher Mini-pin tyres (foam inserts). There are two of us racing the TC6.1 and both are suffering from this issue. The car is OK when applying the throttle very progressively, but is particularly tail happy when exiting corners on power. This makes for a car that is very difficult to drive fast consistently.

I've attached my current set-up to this post. Now I've tried a couple of things like switching to AE green springs on the rear, which makes the car easier to drive on old tyres, but doesn't cure the traction problems. I've also gone from number 3 on the front inboard camber link, to position 7, which again made the car easier to drive, but didn't help traction (which is to be expected).

Perhaps Rick or someone who has experienced a similar problem, would be kind enough to look at my setup and provide suggestions for improvement.

Thanks in advance
Attached Files
File Type: zip TC6.1 Editable Setup Sheet trowse.zip (475 Bytes, 36 views)
rosey1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #6278
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosey1990 View Post
I'm really enjoying driving my TC6.1, it's a great improvement over the original TC6 imo. It has bags of steering, therefore is awesome on the tight and technical tracks.

My only complaint would be that the car lacks rear traction out of slow corners. I race on a low-med grip, medium sized astro carpet, using Schumacher Mini-pin tyres (foam inserts). There are two of us racing the TC6.1 and both are suffering from this issue. The car is OK when applying the throttle very progressively, but is particularly tail happy when exiting corners on power. This makes for a car that is very difficult to drive fast consistently.

I've attached my current set-up to this post. Now I've tried a couple of things like switching to AE green springs on the rear, which makes the car easier to drive on old tyres, but doesn't cure the traction problems. I've also gone from number 3 on the front inboard camber link, to position 7, which again made the car easier to drive, but didn't help traction (which is to be expected).

Perhaps Rick or someone who has experienced a similar problem, would be kind enough to look at my setup and provide suggestions for improvement.

Thanks in advance
Unfortunately I couldn't open your setup sheet to take a look.... but I figured I would make some recommendations based on my experiences:

1.) Make sure you have enough rear toe in... personally, I almost always run around 3 degrees of toe in per side... this amounts to 2.5 mm difference per side between the front and rear shims in the rear.

If the track is especially loose, I might run even more than 3 degrees.

2.) Make sure your rear diff fluid is not too thick... too thick can cause the car to lose on power traction like you are experiencing... on carpet I run anywhere between 30 and 35 wt associated oil in the associated gear diff.

Hope this helps
Old 03-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #6279
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jonesy112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Weiss View Post
Unfortunately I couldn't open your setup sheet to take a look.... but I figured I would make some recommendations based on my experiences:

1.) Make sure you have enough rear toe in... personally, I almost always run around 3 degrees of toe in per side... this amounts to 2.5 mm difference per side between the front and rear shims in the rear.

2.) Make sure your rear diff fluid is not too thick... too thick can cause the car to lose on power traction like you are experiencing... on carpet I run anywhere between 30 and 35 wt associated oil in the associated gear diff.

Hope this helps
I have also noticed that the 6.1 seems to like about .5 degree more rear toe than the 6. I usually ran my 6 at 2.5 to 3 degrees, with the 6.1 to acheive the same feel i run 3 to 3.5

RC America - X-Ray - Team EA Motorsports - RockStar Paint - Apex RC Proshop - ProOne Tires
Jonesy112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:40 PM   #6280
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Weiss View Post

Hope this helps
Thanks for your input Steve. I'm already running 3 degrees of rear toe in, however I will try running thinner oil in the rear gear diff (currently using 40wt associated oil). I figured I'd type my set-up out as per the set-up sheet in the manual, just in case you can see any other area for improvement.

Ride height: 5.2mm all round
Camber: Front = 1.5deg. Rear = 2deg
Caster: 4deg
Toe: Front = 0deg. Rear = 3 deg
Wheelbase: Front = 2mm, Rear = 1mm
Steering Bellcrank: 7B
Steering link: 2B
Bumpsteer: black stud

Shock position: Front = 3B. Rear = 2B
Camber link position: Front = 7. Rear = 3A
Outer ball and shims: Front = 1mm. Rear = 2mm
FWD arm mount: Front = 3A. Rear = 3A
FWD mount shim: Front = OS. Rear = 0.5mm
RWD arm mount: Front = 3A. Rear = 3A
RWD arm shim: Front = OS. Rear = 1mm OS
Droop: Front = 6mm. Rear = 5mm
Anti roll bar: Front = silver. Rear = black (both using original TC6 roll bars)

Shock oil: 40wt all round
Springs: Silver all round
Piston: 2 hole all round
Rebound: 50% all round

Battery in 'back' position.
LCT-R lightweight bodyshell

Thanks
rosey1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #6281
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Does the TC6.1 spool tend to work better with the outdrives aligned, or offset 90 degrees from each other?

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #6282
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grippgoat View Post
Does the TC6.1 spool tend to work better with the outdrives aligned, or offset 90 degrees from each other?

-Mike
I've found that there is actually a tiny bit less chatter with the outdrives offset.

Mike
Big Features is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #6283
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asuradahk001 View Post
i got 7075 BULKHEAD, 7075 UPPER BULKHEAD, 2.25mm Carbon Chassis from HK
where did you pick up these items?
☆ Coral Springs RC Track | Mills Pond RC Track | South Florida|
BlackStarRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #6284
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default Body Adjustment

hey guys i have a TC6, and i have a LTC-R body but the foam bumper has pushed the wheels wells forward.....im using this body for practice but i will be grabbing another body for racing and i was wondering have any of you had to adjust the foam or are you using a different foam?

Any ideas would be helpful!!!

Loving my TC6.......i'll catch the 6.1 once i can drive better lol
☆ Coral Springs RC Track | Mills Pond RC Track | South Florida|
BlackStarRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #6285
Tech Regular

I'm running a Mazda6 body and I had to dremel the top front of the bumper so it would fit proper under the shell.
WillD is offline   Reply With Quote