R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes

Old 12-22-2011, 06:36 AM   #5116
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoods34 View Post
I like to have a bit more camber when I put more roll into the car. Maximum forward bite is at the middle of the tire, not the sidewall, so when the car is rolling hard in a turn, not having enough camber seems to remove even more corner speed. In some conditions this can also cause traction roll, because you overwhelm the tire's sidewall and it "gives" out.

With the car on the bench, turn the front wheels and lean the chassis like it would in a turn. This will help you visualize it. Mid-corner you want to maintain your contact patch. Too much camber can cause it to be loose..... since you don't reach the maximum contact patch while the tire is fully loaded, the force overcomes the grip.

Sorry, it's tricky to explain
Hi Cwoods, it was a great explanation, in the past I sometime find having more roll resulted in less grip, because I did not change the camber to make them work together, thank you so much for shining the light on this!!

Cheers!
Warbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:04 AM   #5117
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbird View Post
Hi Cwoods, it was a great explanation, in the past I sometime find having more roll resulted in less grip, because I did not change the camber to make them work together, thank you so much for shining the light on this!!

Cheers!
Always glad to help! A shorter link and/or higher arm blocks also makes the car feel twitchy or as if it reacts faster....... you can have a car load a tire too fast and also lose grip (usually only extreme setups) If you are an on/off switch with your steering wheel, you may want a bit more roll and possibly slightly softer springs so that you don't overwhelm the tires easily. The best fix for this, however, is learning to steer smoothly
Old 12-22-2011, 10:11 AM   #5118
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

do you guys have part numbers off every think I need to make the HB DCJs work. Our any double join cvds. I feel like my car would be little faster with this upgrade. Thank you
f1o7x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:37 AM   #5119
AE-Reedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekyll08 View Post
ok i just came from the track car was very good with 70 weight oil in the rear diff, but my cvd's are binding up when turning left and right, so much so that the front suspension hops up and down and down along with an embarrassing noise. any ideas on what to do?

thanks Brian
Don't use the set screws to hold the pins in! Only use the retaining rings.
Put a drop of CA to keep the rings in place.
Sean Cochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:00 PM   #5120
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Cochran View Post
I've also used TOO much Loctite on the set screws before and it leaked around binding up all of the internals..... like Tabasco sauce, just one drop does it™
Old 12-22-2011, 01:15 PM   #5121
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Cochran View Post
Hi sorry to look stupid will this be ok to leave out the
set set screw
Old 12-22-2011, 01:17 PM   #5122
AE-Reedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by justchris View Post
Hi sorry to look stupid will this be ok to leave out the
set set screw
Yes as long as you use the pin retaining ring.
Sean Cochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #5123
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Tried associated gear diff on the front with 50k gear diff oil wow a little more fine tuning it is way better than a spool and less tire wear, no chattering, it gives me more front end grip and ton of steering I have to turn my dual rate down to 47% crazy... Did I mention no leak At all running on MOD..

Visaliahobbies.com * SkyRC * casterracingparts.com
Jochim_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:35 PM   #5124
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochim_18 View Post
Tried associated gear diff on the front with 50k gear diff oil wow a little more fine tuning it is way better than a spool and less tire wear, no chattering, it gives me more front end grip and ton of steering I have to turn my dual rate down to 47% crazy... Did I mention no leak At all running on MOD..
50k, or 500k? I ran 500k in mod a few weekends, and it is pretty easy to drive, but I switched back to a spool. I found myself driving the car incredibly hard into turns, and the spool helped with 2 things. Obviously with a locked axle, you get theoretical full brakes to both front wheels simultaneously.... a "screeching halt" if you will! Secondly, it seemed to help prevent the back end from kicking out, because a spool on entry tends to cause a push in the car. It was simply easier for me to drive harder..... however, I have an aggressive driving style!

On a larger or more sweeping track, I think the gear diff would be much easier to drive consistently, since you wouldn't necessarily need so much brake action.

Gear diff is pretty incredible in 17.5 though
Old 12-22-2011, 06:18 PM   #5125
Tech Elite

I run the car on small tight outdoor parking lot track this weekend... Light oil make the car to push too much on throttle coming off the corner, too heavy on the oil and you loose the steering. I end with 50,000k gear diff oil a little more fine tuning and it's way better then spool...

I also play with my suspension setup to compensate running a gear diff up front and man the car was dialed really easy to drive...

Old 12-22-2011, 06:21 PM   #5126
Tech Elite

On MOD I hardly use a lot of initial break, I mostly put a lot of drag break with only 30%-40% initial break.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:25 PM   #5127
Tech Master

Quote:
I run the car on small tight outdoor parking lot track this weekend... Light oil make the car to push too much on throttle coming off the corner, too heavy on the oil and you loose the steering. I end with 50,000k gear diff oil a little more fine tuning and it's way better then spool...

I also play with my suspension setup to compensate running a gear diff up front and man the car was dialed really easy to drive...
Usually thicker front gear diff oil will cause it to behave more like a spool.... as in more on-throttle steering. But it is also influenced by a number of other things, so in your instance.... if it works, it works!
Old 12-22-2011, 06:29 PM   #5128
Tech Master

Quote:
On MOD I hardly use a lot of initial break, I mostly put a lot of drag break with only 30%-40% initial break.
I found that when I tried a lot of drag brake, the car didn't want to rotate as well due to my driving style. BUT I'm nearly flipping the rear end over with handbrake on entry!

My biggest problem is that I'm fighting the habit of mashing the brakes while turning. I'm starting to get the hang of mash brakes---turn---throttle out........
Old 12-22-2011, 06:35 PM   #5129
Tech Elite

Play with your front roll center I like mine a little higher so the car rotates more on the corner off throttle...

Old 12-22-2011, 06:40 PM   #5130
Tech Elite

It does acts like a spool when you put a really heavy oil.. With 50,000K it's just about right you still have the diff action when you corner this gives you more traction on the tires That have contact on the ground. When you hit the throttle coming off corner it pulls like a spool..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoods34 View Post
Usually thicker front gear diff oil will cause it to behave more like a spool.... as in more on-throttle steering. But it is also influenced by a number of other things, so in your instance.... if it works, it works!