R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes

Old 10-23-2011, 07:39 PM   #4306
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hello,

I have a TC6 that will work OK for about the first 2-3 minutes of a race, the it gets real squirrely and unpredictable. The back end will sometimes snap loose, but not all of the time.

I have a Yokomo gear diff and I am wonder if I have the wrong fluid in it and it is heating up or breaking down at about the 2-3 minute mark causing issues.

I started out with 500 cst in the rear, but some of it as leaked out so it diffs pretty freely (it does need some TLC). I'm wondering if this is causing issues and I need to rebuild it with 500, or maybe thicker.

Am I on the right track with thinking it could be a diff issue? What diff fluid are other using in the rear diff on med - high traction?

Thanks in advance.

Someday, I hope to be the man my dog thinks I am.
StewartFan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:21 PM   #4307
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartFan20 View Post
Hello,

I have a TC6 that will work OK for about the first 2-3 minutes of a race, the it gets real squirrely and unpredictable. The back end will sometimes snap loose, but not all of the time.

I have a Yokomo gear diff and I am wonder if I have the wrong fluid in it and it is heating up or breaking down at about the 2-3 minute mark causing issues.

I started out with 500 cst in the rear, but some of it as leaked out so it diffs pretty freely (it does need some TLC). I'm wondering if this is causing issues and I need to rebuild it with 500, or maybe thicker.

Am I on the right track with thinking it could be a diff issue? What diff fluid are other using in the rear diff on med - high traction?

Thanks in advance.
It's hard to make a diagnosis without knowing more information regarding the track, tires, and rest of the setup.

With that being said, I haven't run a yokomo gear diff, but I've run the spec R gear diff extensively and I've found running closer to 1000 cst seems to be about right for most situations.

Running lighter oil can definately make the car less stable getting into corners and if that, combined with some sort of strange setup or tire issue may cause your car to get loose a few minutes into a run.

Maybe try throwing something like 1000 in the gear diff and see what happens... if it doesn't help or make any difference at all, the problem might be somewhere else in your setup.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-23-2011, 11:37 PM   #4308
Tech Apprentice

Default Best pinion / Spur for TC6

Hi all,

I searched this thread for this but could not find exact tip yet.
Do you have recommendation / make for 96:52 spur and pinion?
Thanks.

I run 17.5 blinky:

Motor: team icon 17.5 no boost
Spur : 96
Pinion: 50-53

Thanks!!!
Old 10-24-2011, 01:34 AM   #4309
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks in advance.
i had a similar problem due to worn down outdrives as i am not using blades on my gear diff, when power was applied, the shock from the tiny movement of the dog bones would launch the car into a spin, it pobably would not be that violent with a ball diff.

Drink EARTH water and save lives! in support of WFP
olly986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:56 AM   #4310
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Weiss View Post
It's hard to make a diagnosis without knowing more information regarding the track, tires, and rest of the setup.

With that being said, I haven't run a yokomo gear diff, but I've run the spec R gear diff extensively and I've found running closer to 1000 cst seems to be about right for most situations.

Running lighter oil can definately make the car less stable getting into corners and if that, combined with some sort of strange setup or tire issue may cause your car to get loose a few minutes into a run.

Maybe try throwing something like 1000 in the gear diff and see what happens... if it doesn't help or make any difference at all, the problem might be somewhere else in your setup.

Hope this helps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by olly986 View Post
i had a similar problem due to worn down outdrives as i am not using blades on my gear diff, when power was applied, the shock from the tiny movement of the dog bones would launch the car into a spin, it pobably would not be that violent with a ball diff.
Thanks for the info. I'm also going to post my setup tonight and see if anyone sees anything else that might cause this issue.

Thanks again.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:24 AM   #4311
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks in advance.
What tires and traction compound are you using? If the tires are too hard or the compound doesn't "agree" with the track, it could wear off halfway through a race. This'll make it loose and every time the back slides it'll cause more buildup on the tires, which only continues to make it worse. It may also help to clean the tires after every race if you don't already.

You might also not have enough "roll" in the back to keep bite on the rear tires. I've found that 1000cst is fast but can be a bit harder to drive on lower-grip tracks, or if the back isn't sticking enough.

I was having problems like you described yesterday, and it turns out I forgot some shims on the back arm mounts, so I only had about 1.5* toe-in! I went up to 3* and the back became too stuck!

Hope this helps!
Old 10-24-2011, 10:08 AM   #4312
Tech Apprentice

what is the difference in length of the neck of ball studs between black (short) and silver (long)? thanks!
Old 10-24-2011, 12:44 PM   #4313
Tech Fanatic

Now that it has been run and it is nearly on the market, will some of the team drivers post their results on oil setup in the new AE geardiff?

Rick? Keven?

Thanks

Old 10-24-2011, 12:56 PM   #4314
Tech Elite

I have only used 30wt with the AE diff on all surfaces. Putty in the front. I have not had the opportunity to try much else although I think future testing with front diff fluids would yield some good results.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:02 PM   #4315
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
I have only used 30wt with the AE diff on all surfaces. Putty in the front. I have not had the opportunity to try much else although I think future testing with front diff fluids would yield some good results.
Thank you Rick, eagered to get mine now.
There is very little gaps in the gear compartment, looks really interesting...

Old 10-24-2011, 05:37 PM   #4316
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoods34 View Post
What tires and traction compound are you using? If the tires are too hard or the compound doesn't "agree" with the track, it could wear off halfway through a race. This'll make it loose and every time the back slides it'll cause more buildup on the tires, which only continues to make it worse. It may also help to clean the tires after every race if you don't already.

You might also not have enough "roll" in the back to keep bite on the rear tires. I've found that 1000cst is fast but can be a bit harder to drive on lower-grip tracks, or if the back isn't sticking enough.

I was having problems like you described yesterday, and it turns out I forgot some shims on the back arm mounts, so I only had about 1.5* toe-in! I went up to 3* and the back became too stuck!

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the information.

Here is my setup. I run on a small track (about 36x80). It has med-high traction.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:04 PM   #4317
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Smile

Spec-R Gear diff for TC6 and Hard Coated Diff Joint are back in stock at TQ.

For more information, please visit www.tqrcracing.com

FYI, Thanks.
http://www.tqrcracing.com
tq@tqrcracing.com
spring71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:26 AM   #4318
Tech Regular

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks in advance.
I would assume that it has something to do with the gear diff or your tires. I know if you havent worked on your rear diff the oil can get old and it will loose its consistency once it gets some heat in it. Also if could be that the tires might be getting old.
Jason
Old 10-25-2011, 07:53 AM   #4319
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91420l View Post
Hi all,

I searched this thread for this but could not find exact tip yet.
Do you have recommendation / make for 96:52 spur and pinion?
Thanks.

I run 17.5 blinky:

Motor: team icon 17.5 no boost
Spur : 96
Pinion: 50-53

Thanks!!!
How big is the track your running?
Running a D3 in blinky I'm running a 100T Spur on a 46T pinion with the motor timing at the last mark to the positive side.

I dont understand what exactly are you asking? do you want to know what final drive ratio you should be running? are you looking for a setup?
LMRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:31 PM   #4320
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by racing_jason View Post
I would assume that it has something to do with the gear diff or your tires. I know if you havent worked on your rear diff the oil can get old and it will loose its consistency once it gets some heat in it. Also if could be that the tires might be getting old.
Jason
I thought about the gear diff needing some attention. I hope to get some time this week to rebuild it. the tires are new. I wonder if the setup I have on the car is building too much heat in the tires early and then they get greasy later in the run after they get hot.