R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-23-2011, 07:39 PM   #4306
Tech Addict
 
StewartFan20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Grrrrr!!!!
Posts: 692
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Hello,

I have a TC6 that will work OK for about the first 2-3 minutes of a race, the it gets real squirrely and unpredictable. The back end will sometimes snap loose, but not all of the time.

I have a Yokomo gear diff and I am wonder if I have the wrong fluid in it and it is heating up or breaking down at about the 2-3 minute mark causing issues.

I started out with 500 cst in the rear, but some of it as leaked out so it diffs pretty freely (it does need some TLC). I'm wondering if this is causing issues and I need to rebuild it with 500, or maybe thicker.

Am I on the right track with thinking it could be a diff issue? What diff fluid are other using in the rear diff on med - high traction?

Thanks in advance.
__________________
Devil Dog Racing | HobbyTown USA (Kansas City,North) | Fastlane Raceway | Matrix Tires

Someday, I hope to be the man my dog thinks I am.
StewartFan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:21 PM   #4307
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 4,142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartFan20 View Post
Hello,

I have a TC6 that will work OK for about the first 2-3 minutes of a race, the it gets real squirrely and unpredictable. The back end will sometimes snap loose, but not all of the time.

I have a Yokomo gear diff and I am wonder if I have the wrong fluid in it and it is heating up or breaking down at about the 2-3 minute mark causing issues.

I started out with 500 cst in the rear, but some of it as leaked out so it diffs pretty freely (it does need some TLC). I'm wondering if this is causing issues and I need to rebuild it with 500, or maybe thicker.

Am I on the right track with thinking it could be a diff issue? What diff fluid are other using in the rear diff on med - high traction?

Thanks in advance.
It's hard to make a diagnosis without knowing more information regarding the track, tires, and rest of the setup.

With that being said, I haven't run a yokomo gear diff, but I've run the spec R gear diff extensively and I've found running closer to 1000 cst seems to be about right for most situations.

Running lighter oil can definately make the car less stable getting into corners and if that, combined with some sort of strange setup or tire issue may cause your car to get loose a few minutes into a run.

Maybe try throwing something like 1000 in the gear diff and see what happens... if it doesn't help or make any difference at all, the problem might be somewhere else in your setup.

Hope this helps!
__________________
Steve Weiss
TEAM ASSOCIATED -- REEDY -- SANWA -- PROTOFORM -- P1 BRAND -- TUNING HAUS -- TEAM KINWALD -- TEAM STEVE INTERNATIONAL
Steve Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:37 PM   #4308
Tech Apprentice
 
91420l's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SOCAL
Posts: 86
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Best pinion / Spur for TC6

Hi all,

I searched this thread for this but could not find exact tip yet.
Do you have recommendation / make for 96:52 spur and pinion?
Thanks.

I run 17.5 blinky:

Motor: team icon 17.5 no boost
Spur : 96
Pinion: 50-53

Thanks!!!
__________________
---------------------------
Takeshi
91420l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:34 AM   #4309
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: France
Posts: 812
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartFan20 View Post
Hello,

I have a TC6 that will work OK for about the first 2-3 minutes of a race, the it gets real squirrely and unpredictable. The back end will sometimes snap loose, but not all of the time.

I have a Yokomo gear diff and I am wonder if I have the wrong fluid in it and it is heating up or breaking down at about the 2-3 minute mark causing issues.

I started out with 500 cst in the rear, but some of it as leaked out so it diffs pretty freely (it does need some TLC). I'm wondering if this is causing issues and I need to rebuild it with 500, or maybe thicker.

Am I on the right track with thinking it could be a diff issue? What diff fluid are other using in the rear diff on med - high traction?

Thanks in advance.
i had a similar problem due to worn down outdrives as i am not using blades on my gear diff, when power was applied, the shock from the tiny movement of the dog bones would launch the car into a spin, it pobably would not be that violent with a ball diff.
__________________
Electriquement votre...

Drink EARTH water and save lives! in support of WFP
olly986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:56 AM   #4310
Tech Addict
 
StewartFan20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Grrrrr!!!!
Posts: 692
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Weiss View Post
It's hard to make a diagnosis without knowing more information regarding the track, tires, and rest of the setup.

With that being said, I haven't run a yokomo gear diff, but I've run the spec R gear diff extensively and I've found running closer to 1000 cst seems to be about right for most situations.

Running lighter oil can definately make the car less stable getting into corners and if that, combined with some sort of strange setup or tire issue may cause your car to get loose a few minutes into a run.

Maybe try throwing something like 1000 in the gear diff and see what happens... if it doesn't help or make any difference at all, the problem might be somewhere else in your setup.

Hope this helps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by olly986 View Post
i had a similar problem due to worn down outdrives as i am not using blades on my gear diff, when power was applied, the shock from the tiny movement of the dog bones would launch the car into a spin, it pobably would not be that violent with a ball diff.
Thanks for the info. I'm also going to post my setup tonight and see if anyone sees anything else that might cause this issue.

Thanks again.
__________________
Devil Dog Racing | HobbyTown USA (Kansas City,North) | Fastlane Raceway | Matrix Tires

Someday, I hope to be the man my dog thinks I am.
StewartFan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:24 AM   #4311
Tech Master
 
cwoods34's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Indy-freakin'-ana
Posts: 1,156
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartFan20 View Post
Hello,

I have a TC6 that will work OK for about the first 2-3 minutes of a race, the it gets real squirrely and unpredictable. The back end will sometimes snap loose, but not all of the time.

I have a Yokomo gear diff and I am wonder if I have the wrong fluid in it and it is heating up or breaking down at about the 2-3 minute mark causing issues.

I started out with 500 cst in the rear, but some of it as leaked out so it diffs pretty freely (it does need some TLC). I'm wondering if this is causing issues and I need to rebuild it with 500, or maybe thicker.

Am I on the right track with thinking it could be a diff issue? What diff fluid are other using in the rear diff on med - high traction?

Thanks in advance.
What tires and traction compound are you using? If the tires are too hard or the compound doesn't "agree" with the track, it could wear off halfway through a race. This'll make it loose and every time the back slides it'll cause more buildup on the tires, which only continues to make it worse. It may also help to clean the tires after every race if you don't already.

You might also not have enough "roll" in the back to keep bite on the rear tires. I've found that 1000cst is fast but can be a bit harder to drive on lower-grip tracks, or if the back isn't sticking enough.

I was having problems like you described yesterday, and it turns out I forgot some shims on the back arm mounts, so I only had about 1.5* toe-in! I went up to 3* and the back became too stuck!

Hope this helps!
__________________
Stop holding bitterness deep in your bum soul.
cwoods34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:08 AM   #4312
Tech Apprentice
 
Damon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Florence, Italy
Posts: 88
Default

what is the difference in length of the neck of ball studs between black (short) and silver (long)? thanks!
__________________
Awesomatix A800
Awesomatix A800X
Damon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:44 PM   #4313
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: France
Posts: 812
Default

Now that it has been run and it is nearly on the market, will some of the team drivers post their results on oil setup in the new AE geardiff?

Rick? Keven?

Thanks
__________________
Electriquement votre...

Drink EARTH water and save lives! in support of WFP
olly986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:56 PM   #4314
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,918
Default

I have only used 30wt with the AE diff on all surfaces. Putty in the front. I have not had the opportunity to try much else although I think future testing with front diff fluids would yield some good results.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:02 PM   #4315
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: France
Posts: 812
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
I have only used 30wt with the AE diff on all surfaces. Putty in the front. I have not had the opportunity to try much else although I think future testing with front diff fluids would yield some good results.
Thank you Rick, eagered to get mine now.
There is very little gaps in the gear compartment, looks really interesting...
__________________
Electriquement votre...

Drink EARTH water and save lives! in support of WFP
olly986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:37 PM   #4316
Tech Addict
 
StewartFan20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Grrrrr!!!!
Posts: 692
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoods34 View Post
What tires and traction compound are you using? If the tires are too hard or the compound doesn't "agree" with the track, it could wear off halfway through a race. This'll make it loose and every time the back slides it'll cause more buildup on the tires, which only continues to make it worse. It may also help to clean the tires after every race if you don't already.

You might also not have enough "roll" in the back to keep bite on the rear tires. I've found that 1000cst is fast but can be a bit harder to drive on lower-grip tracks, or if the back isn't sticking enough.

I was having problems like you described yesterday, and it turns out I forgot some shims on the back arm mounts, so I only had about 1.5* toe-in! I went up to 3* and the back became too stuck!

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the information.

Here is my setup. I run on a small track (about 36x80). It has med-high traction.

Thanks again for all the advice.
__________________
Devil Dog Racing | HobbyTown USA (Kansas City,North) | Fastlane Raceway | Matrix Tires

Someday, I hope to be the man my dog thinks I am.
StewartFan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:04 PM   #4317
Tech Elite
 
spring71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 3,819
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Smile

Spec-R Gear diff for TC6 and Hard Coated Diff Joint are back in stock at TQ.



For more information, please visit www.tqrcracing.com

FYI, Thanks.
__________________
TQ RC RACING
Indoor RC Race Track & Hobby Shop in Chino, CA
Online Shop
http://www.tqrcracing.com
tq@tqrcracing.com
spring71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:26 AM   #4318
Tech Regular
 
racing_jason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane
Posts: 328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartFan20 View Post
Hello,

I have a TC6 that will work OK for about the first 2-3 minutes of a race, the it gets real squirrely and unpredictable. The back end will sometimes snap loose, but not all of the time.

I have a Yokomo gear diff and I am wonder if I have the wrong fluid in it and it is heating up or breaking down at about the 2-3 minute mark causing issues.

I started out with 500 cst in the rear, but some of it as leaked out so it diffs pretty freely (it does need some TLC). I'm wondering if this is causing issues and I need to rebuild it with 500, or maybe thicker.

Am I on the right track with thinking it could be a diff issue? What diff fluid are other using in the rear diff on med - high traction?

Thanks in advance.
I would assume that it has something to do with the gear diff or your tires. I know if you havent worked on your rear diff the oil can get old and it will loose its consistency once it gets some heat in it. Also if could be that the tires might be getting old.
Jason
__________________
Thank you to my sponsors-
Team Associated-Reedy-ProLine-B&B Hobbies Racing
racing_jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:53 AM   #4319
Tech Elite
 
LMRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Rome, GA
Posts: 2,739
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91420l View Post
Hi all,

I searched this thread for this but could not find exact tip yet.
Do you have recommendation / make for 96:52 spur and pinion?
Thanks.

I run 17.5 blinky:

Motor: team icon 17.5 no boost
Spur : 96
Pinion: 50-53

Thanks!!!
How big is the track your running?
Running a D3 in blinky I'm running a 100T Spur on a 46T pinion with the motor timing at the last mark to the positive side.

I dont understand what exactly are you asking? do you want to know what final drive ratio you should be running? are you looking for a setup?
LMRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:31 PM   #4320
Tech Addict
 
StewartFan20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Grrrrr!!!!
Posts: 692
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racing_jason View Post
I would assume that it has something to do with the gear diff or your tires. I know if you havent worked on your rear diff the oil can get old and it will loose its consistency once it gets some heat in it. Also if could be that the tires might be getting old.
Jason
I thought about the gear diff needing some attention. I hope to get some time this week to rebuild it. the tires are new. I wonder if the setup I have on the car is building too much heat in the tires early and then they get greasy later in the run after they get hot.
__________________
Devil Dog Racing | HobbyTown USA (Kansas City,North) | Fastlane Raceway | Matrix Tires

Someday, I hope to be the man my dog thinks I am.
StewartFan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
THE TRACK RACEWAY Apex Mid Atlantic RC Racing 28961 07-11-2017 01:29 PM
Team Associated TC5 RCknight Electric On-Road 13254 05-12-2017 07:58 AM
Team Associated TC6 KostaG Electric On-Road 8 07-04-2010 11:42 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:52 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net