R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-01-2011, 09:46 PM   #4006
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin544 View Post
Any idea who makes them or where I can get some? I dont see anything under the AE parts.
Tamiya-http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...id=897&id=7158 This set is 4 0.5mm shims and 4 1mm shims

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/LRP/Sweep Racing/RSD/Middle River Hobbies/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:02 AM   #4007
Tech Regular

I thought I would post about my move to the TC6... I read every post here before starting my build and I have to say that I wondered, based on the comments on here, what would be wrong with each bag I opened during the build... I am glad to say that I got a perfect kit and with some words of wisdom from our local Team Associated driver I built a kit that was tweak free.

I have been driving a TCX which is a really amazing car and was great but I just wanted something different so I moved to the TC6. I was a bit worried running the TC6 for the first time having run the TC5 before and the amount of steering/grip that it could produce but absolutely no worries at all. The car was up to the TCX with minimal changes and I really enjoyed driving it - the track was carpet, good grip, but very tight.

All in all the TC6 is a great car out of the box was very good from the first pull of the throttle. The only thing that I think I would like to see in the box are some alloy shims for the spacing of arms etc. and also some 35mm turnbuckles as you shouldn't really have to buy different turnbuckles to change the camber links on a car.

Really looking forward to the next round of our championship and seeing how good the TC6 is now that I have my first run under my belt.

A big thumbs up to Associated for a great car at a great price.
scoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:06 AM   #4008
Tech Adept

I just built mine, and didn't have any issues either. The only thing I thought was missing were 2 of the M3x14 screws for attaching the suspension. I later realized that they swapped 2 of them for M3x16 screws for the rear of the car, so really just a documentation issue.
Kevin Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:08 AM   #4009
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Does anyone make the funny looking shims for arm spacing in aluminum? I've tried regular shims but they don't work as the blocks tend to bend in.
goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:27 AM   #4010
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2drt View Post
Does anyone make the funny looking shims for arm spacing in aluminum? I've tried regular shims but they don't work as the blocks tend to bend in.
I've also seen blocks bend in while using smaller aluminum shims. The shim of choice seems to be the Team Associated 12R5 bulkhead shims, #4617. They are larger in diameter and seem to work well

If you really want to lock down your hinge pins, try these: http://www.ppdbillet.com/dial-a-grip.htm
Old 10-02-2011, 09:20 AM   #4011
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshookup View Post
I've also seen blocks bend in while using smaller aluminum shims. The shim of choice seems to be the Team Associated 12R5 bulkhead shims, #4617. They are larger in diameter and seem to work well

If you really want to lock down your hinge pins, try these: http://www.ppdbillet.com/dial-a-grip.htm
I love those things. I had those and unfortunately they are too indistructable. I had a spin out and hit the rear end hard and they do not absorb any impact and instead of the little plastic pieces breaking, it bent bulkheads. I am going back to the stock pieces until I become a better driver.
goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:17 PM   #4012
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2drt View Post
I love those things. I had those and unfortunately they are too indistructable. I had a spin out and hit the rear end hard and they do not absorb any impact and instead of the little plastic pieces breaking, it bent bulkheads. I am going back to the stock pieces until I become a better driver.
If you hit rear end first then you likely took a direct shot to the bulkheads causing the bending (they are the furthest protruding part out rear, hence rear bumpers being added). We have seen no increase in reports of this issue to date, and before any shock to bulkheads could potentially happen there is rubber tire, plastic C hub, plastic steering knuckle, plastic arm, all in line for shock absorption (any or several of these would break first if wheel / arm collision was main cause). Also, there have been reports of bent bulkheads with the stock plastic blocks, so don't let someone talk you into not being reasonable on the cause of this.
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #4013
Tech Fanatic

Well just back from my racing day where I finished 4th even if I had the 3rd place nearly garanteed, but unfortunately, the cleaning putty in my front diff went too soft and the car was extremelly tail happy all of the sudden, extreme heat here today and the diff kept changing characteristics, so I guess, putty will be back for cooler temps and heavy oil will replace it when it is hot.

Just for you to know!

Drink EARTH water and save lives! in support of WFP
olly986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:33 PM   #4014
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olly986 View Post
Well just back from my racing day where I finished 4th even if I had the 3rd place nearly garanteed, but unfortunately, the cleaning putty in my front diff went too soft and the car was extremelly tail happy all of the sudden, extreme heat here today and the diff kept changing characteristics, so I guess, putty will be back for cooler temps and heavy oil will replace it when it is hot.

Just for you to know!
What putty are you using - I used Serpent cleaning putty in my TCX but in my TC6 (yes I have joined Alan!) I am using Fastrax which seems to be harder. What wt of oil are you planning to use?

Stephen
Old 10-02-2011, 12:43 PM   #4015
Tech Fanatic

Hi

Was talking to Alan last week, good choice with the AE and you have a pro at hand to help !!

Can't remember the make but I think it was Serpent, do not have the box anymore, but it got really hot today and this was the first time I used that setup "A la Rick Howard", will try 100000 oil, this is what I have in tool box, just worried it might be too much.

Next and last run in 2 weeks

Old 10-02-2011, 12:58 PM   #4016
Tech Regular

Quote:
Hi

Was talking to Alan last week, good choice with the AE and you have a pro at hand to help !!

Can't remember the make but I think it was Serpent, do not have the box anymore, but it got really hot today and this was the first time I used that setup "A la Rick Howard", will try 100000 oil, this is what I have in tool box, just worried it might be too much.

Next and last run in 2 weeks
Agree Al is a top man, my main reason for going Associated. Serpent is definitely effected by heat - I noticed as the 5 minute run went on I was getting more steering. The Fastrax stuff is definitely worth a try - I know Al has used it in mod and it definitely is less prone to heat.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:13 PM   #4017
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoyle View Post
Agree Al is a top man, my main reason for going Associated. Serpent is definitely effected by heat - I noticed as the 5 minute run went on I was getting more steering. The Fastrax stuff is definitely worth a try - I know Al has used it in mod and it definitely is less prone to heat.
will give it a go, where do you get yours from? are you buying from the border?

Old 10-02-2011, 01:30 PM   #4018
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (99%+)

quick and easy question

can someone give me the diamiter on the outdrive side cvd axle pin
Alex "ACE" Kubilus
ACE design works
RaceAce701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:53 PM   #4019
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Does any one know if the wheel bearings 6x10x3mm have smaller balls in them than most 5x10x4mm in other cars wheel hubs
LOSI123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:18 AM   #4020
Tech Regular

Quote:
will give it a go, where do you get yours from? are you buying from the border?
Got mine from MK Racing - http://www.m-k-racing.com/