R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #3766
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
The problem with Spec R gear diffs (for any car) is that they're hit or miss with quality. Mostly miss. Keep spare gaskets and gear sets on hand!
I have to wonder if what some people are seeing as a leaky diff is just the residue from over filling the gear housing. If the housing is pressurized from too much oil, no gasket is going to stop it from leaking. My diff threw a bit of oil out the first time I built it but it turned out to just be what squished out during assembly. I would recommend cleaning the heck outta the diff with motor spray and then blowing the cleaner off with compressed air prior to installing in the car.
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:06 PM   #3767
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoDog View Post
I have to wonder if what some people are seeing as a leaky diff is just the residue from over filling the gear housing. If the housing is pressurized from too much oil, no gasket is going to stop it from leaking. My diff threw a bit of oil out the first time I built it but it turned out to just be what squished out during assembly. I would recommend cleaning the heck outta the diff with motor spray and then blowing the cleaner off with compressed air prior to installing in the car.
Been there, done that. Not my first rodeo. Or the other two guys that I know of that have leaking Spec R gear diffs. They would leak until dry. I finally got mine to stop by saturating the gasket with green slime and torquing the snot out of the screws. The other two guys gave up, as nothing worked.

Check all over, like it or not, Spec R quality is hit or miss, both for leaking issues and molding on the gears.

Tekin & Sweep, thanks for all that you do for you know who!

Associated/T.O.P./Mugen/Fantom/Spektrum/Savox
Buckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:45 PM   #3768
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to sandsurfer

Quote:
Been there, done that. Not my first rodeo. Or the other two guys that I know of that have leaking Spec R gear diffs. They would leak until dry. I finally got mine to stop by saturating the gasket with green slime and torquing the snot out of the screws. The other two guys gave up, as nothing worked.

Check all over, like it or not, Spec R quality is hit or miss, both for leaking issues and molding on the gears.
I don't have a gear diff yet for mine. However, in my Asc4x I rub in black grease both side of gasket then long time no leaky. Also, found if gasket is soaked with oil/lube, just clean with motor cleaner and above method still works. I have no idea if spec uses a gasket or o-ring, new to tc
sandsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:28 AM   #3769
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Hey guys, I've been reading up on this thread but after going through several pages I didn't find my answer, so here it goes. I noticed several team drivers are drilling a 1mm hole in the shock caps, and I just want to confirm where they are putting the hole. Is it right in the center? Does it matter? Thanks!
Old 09-14-2011, 06:16 AM   #3770
Tech Regular

Jon, on the underside of the shock cap you will see a really small dimple. Just drill through that and it will come out on the other end just in front of the shock mount
JRXS_chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:36 AM   #3771
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC.Jon22 View Post
Hey guys, I've been reading up on this thread but after going through several pages I didn't find my answer, so here it goes. I noticed several team drivers are drilling a 1mm hole in the shock caps, and I just want to confirm where they are putting the hole. Is it right in the center? Does it matter? Thanks!
No, it doesn't matter, as long as it goes through. Look back 1 page and you'll see the photos that I posted.

Tekin & Sweep, thanks for all that you do for you know who!

Associated/T.O.P./Mugen/Fantom/Spektrum/Savox
Buckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:17 PM   #3772
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
No, it doesn't matter, as long as it goes through. Look back 1 page and you'll see the photos that I posted.
Thanks for the help guys...I read through so many pages and didn't think of just checking the previous page..
Old 09-15-2011, 01:32 AM   #3773
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Finally finished reading this entire thread over the last week or so. Just bought a couple TC6's and wanted to get up to speed on them. I'm looking forward to getting them going here soon. Our indoor starts in a few weeks.

Reading through this thread I see a lot of stuff I know nothing about. Such as roll centers, Anti dive, camber gain. etc. Any way to get a grasp on this without an engineering degree? Any suggested reading or links?

Thanks
Odin544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:52 AM   #3774
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin544 View Post
Finally finished reading this entire thread over the last week or so. Just bought a couple TC6's and wanted to get up to speed on them. I'm looking forward to getting them going here soon. Our indoor starts in a few weeks.

Reading through this thread I see a lot of stuff I know nothing about. Such as roll centers, Anti dive, camber gain. etc. Any way to get a grasp on this without an engineering degree? Any suggested reading or links?

Thanks
The XRay T3 setup book is pretty good, available for free from the XRay website.

The XXX Main setup book is also good but isn't free.

And if you want to know all the theory and have some cash to burn, try Race Car Vehicle Dynamics by Milliken.
daleburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:18 AM   #3775
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleburr View Post
The XRay T3 setup book is pretty good, available for free from the XRay website.

The XXX Main setup book is also good but isn't free.

And if you want to know all the theory and have some cash to burn, try Race Car Vehicle Dynamics by Milliken.
Reading setup book is one, understand it is second. So you will have to first start to race and then you can feel what is going on on the car.

facebook.com/rogergrafix
roger999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:08 AM   #3776
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

To me it boils down to weight transfer and the amount of grip. The fastest car will be the closest to perfect regarding both.

This is assuming a flawless driver, of course
Old 09-15-2011, 06:18 AM   #3777
Tech Initiate

Default hi

hi guys just need some help on bumpsteer what they mean by black +0 i dont understand this bumpsteer
bunny32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:19 AM   #3778
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Rumor has is that AE is coming out with a gear diff., any idea as to when it will be released??
NPETRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:07 AM   #3779
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunny32 View Post
hi guys just need some help on bumpsteer what they mean by black +0 i dont understand this bumpsteer
Bumpsteer is the amount your wheels "turn" when the suspension compresses and extends. Take your car at rest with the wheels lined up and slowly push down on the front end. As the suspension compresses observe your wheels and watch them angle in/out while compressing. This is bumpsteer.

black+0 on a setup sheet means the driver is using an associated black ballstud with no washer/spacers beneath it on the steering knuckle.

Usually you want to adjust the height of your steering link to have zero bumpsteer.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:13 AM   #3780
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin544 View Post

Thanks
Go to the associated website and pick a setup to start from. If you are running Mod go with a Kevin Hebert setup and if you're running stock use one of Bob Stellflues to start with. Once you get the setup on correctly you should have a pretty decent car to drive with. From there pick one type of change at a time and play with them. I.E. shock angles-change the position of the top of the shock by one hole, drive it, change it back, drive it, etc ... It will take some time but this along with some basic literature of each tuning option will help you understand them and how to use them...

Setup and tuning guides are great but saying "adding caster will increase mid to exit steering" doesn't exactly translate linearly to every setup for every driver. Only trying it back to back will give you a sense of what the term "feels" like...