R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes

Old 07-18-2011, 07:15 AM   #3256
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Well I figured I would post the process that I followed to fit the Yokomo gear diff in the TC6. I know that there are lots of opinions on how to do this, but this is the process that I followed and think it works pretty well. I am not advocating that anyone else try this, and if you do you take full responsibility for the outcome. I would say that this project is medium difficulty and will take about an hour or two to complete.

If you do attempt to do this please wear a mask and eye protection, especially on step 2.

Step 1) Remove the diff out drives from the gear diff housing. Please follow the provided instructions on this. The reason I do this is that the diff out drives get hot when grinding on them so it it best to not have it in contact with the plastic diff housing. Make sure you do both drive cups.

Step 2) In order to fit the longer AE CVAs it is required that you deepen the out drive cup. I did this by grinding a deeper groove in the bottom of the drive cup using a reinforced cut off wheel on my dremel. You don't have to go very deep but you want to remove about .25 mm of material and also square off the bottom of the out drive grooves. The idea here is that we need to get the CVA ball end and blade deeper into the out drive.

Step 3) It is time to trim the diff housing so that it will fit into the bulked. The idea here is to trim the lip that stops the belt tensioner so that the belt tensioner assembly can move closer to the center of the diff. I removed about .35mm of material. It is important that this be as straight as possible so that it will fit in the bulked straight. I once again used a cut off wheel in my dremel to accomplish this.

Step 4) You can now assemble the diff with your required oil and test fit the diff in the bulked. Based on how much you took off you may or may not need the shims that are required for the stock diff. I am not currently using any in my cars. For mod I am running 1000cst and for stock I am running 700cst!

Step 5) It is now time to grind down the CVA ball end so that it can fit without bind in the drive cup. I ground down the sides of the ball and was careful to stay clear of the pins. It is important to grind off enough material from both sides of the ball, and after you do this it will not look like much of a ball anymore. It is important to test fit as you go and ensure that you take off only enough material to make them fit without bind. Be patient here and be careful.

Step 6) The last step to remove some material from the CVA blade. It is important to narrow the section that fits the furthest into the drive cup and also remove some material (and flatten) the bottom of the blade. The idea here is to remove enough material so that the blade fits in the drive cup without any bind.

Once you have completed all of this test fit everything and make sure that the CVAs do not bind in anyway during rotation and arm movement both up and down.

Like I said there are lots of ways to do this and if I had it my way I would have used an end mill to do all of the metal work. But lets get real not very many of us have access to stuff like that. I was able to make three gear diffs fit with just the use of some patience and my dremel. Not the prettiest looking thing, but it works!

Good luck and I hope this helps anyone considering doing this until the actual AE gear diff comes out, which I hope is soon!
Old 07-18-2011, 07:25 AM   #3257
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Let you know guys that I saw 3 LRP rotors for $25. at ebay 150634038510.
RustyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:52 AM   #3258
Tech Fanatic

Well, I have just fitted the Sakura diff gear in my TC6, no dremel here only a couple of parts changed.

You need a set of outdrive from a RRR V1 kyosho ref No: VZ219 (can be found cheap now)
I changed the internal gears for NT1 metal ones, the originals were plastic, but I guess they will do too.
The bearings are the same size, there is plenty shims to adjust your diff.
And you need a 40t diff which comes extra. (37 and 38 gears are standard in diff, 39 and 40 are separate spares)
It could be interesting to try a 39t on front...

On the minus point, you cannot use blades anymore, except if you remove some of the outdrive, which I did not want to.
So instead, I fitted some heatshrink on the ball and pin ends, it fits nicely with smooth action.

I am at the track tomorow to test all this if weather permits.

Drink EARTH water and save lives! in support of WFP
olly986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #3259
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Guys, how much would you guys like us to make a lightweight spool and DC Universal Joints that bolt on straight on the car?

Would you be interested in either (or both)?

I am in the process of getting some prototypes made to evaluate them, but if the interest is high, we can pull the trigger on getting them made.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:08 AM   #3260
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
Guys, how much would you guys like us to make a lightweight spool and DC Universal Joints that bolt on straight on the car?

Would you be interested in either (or both)?

I am in the process of getting some prototypes made to evaluate them, but if the interest is high, we can pull the trigger on getting them made.
Cristian, IMO the lightweight spool could be a gamble as the AE one works pretty well, and with the upcoming release of the AE gear diff I would use caution in building...BUT that said, IMO the DC universals are a great idea. I'm running the Hot bodies on my TC6 and think they are nice improvement, but finding spares for the last month is pretty much impossible.
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:08 AM   #3261
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post

Would you be interested in either (or both
universal joints interest me, but I think AE has a new spool in development.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:09 AM   #3262
Tech Fanatic

I would say the same for the spool.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:39 AM   #3263
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Ok, I will take all your advice in consideration.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:40 AM   #3264
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I wouldn't be surprised is AE isn't working on new CVDs as well.

Mike
Big Features is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:02 PM   #3265
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by olly986 View Post
Hi did you file your top deck?
What parts did you use to make the change?
and by doing this are you not by-passing the servo saver and losing the different positions for ackerman in the process?
hi yes you are by- passing the servo saver but the car will have a servo mount saver and the ackerman is still fully operational by loosening the ball stud as you would if there was just the screw there.cheers
Old 07-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #3266
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.I.M.P View Post
hi yes you are by- passing the servo saver but the car will have a servo mount saver and the ackerman is still fully operational by loosening the ball stud as you would if there was just the screw there.cheers
What do you mean by "the car will have a servo mount saver?"

and by the way, your servo horn doesn't look in the middle of its travel on your picture, you should rectify this

Old 07-18-2011, 03:23 PM   #3267
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I drove the car once with the ball diff and felt really good. Whats the advantage to the gear diff in the rear? Less maintance?

And I will wait for the AE one. Whens the supposed release date?

Thank You.
Authorized Dealer for /Agama / Tekno / Team Associated / Schelle / Hobbywing / PT Racing Shock & Diff oil / Serpent / Tekin / JConcepts / AKA / Proline / Savox / M2C / Picco / www.fiercercsolutions.com Like us on facebook www.facebook.com/FierceRCSolutions
FastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:24 PM   #3268
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by olly986 View Post
What do you mean by "the car will have a servo mount saver?"

and by the way, your servo horn doesn't look in the middle of its travel on your picture, you should rectify this
Kimbrough medium servo saver. Problem solved. The very same mod has been very well and completely researched/tested in the Photon.

Tekin & Sweep, thanks for all that you do for you know who!

Associated/T.O.P./Mugen/Fantom/Spektrum/Savox
Buckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #3269
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastPete View Post
I drove the car once with the ball diff and felt really good. Whats the advantage to the gear diff in the rear? Less maintance?

Thank You.
Gear diff in the rear gives you more foward bite, and less maintenance

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/LRP/Sweep Racing/RSD/Middle River Hobbies/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:48 PM   #3270
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastPete View Post

Thank You.
I prefer the feel of a ball diff in the corners but the gear diff wins with no slip and nearly zero maintenence. I hate the fact that ALL gear diffs leak some!JMO
pcar951 is offline   Reply With Quote