R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-08-2011, 04:34 AM   #2851
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I finally got around to starting my build last night, and so far I am missing two screws, two spacers, and I had to ream out the arms a little to be free on the pins. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.
MUDVAYNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:37 AM   #2852
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

If the screws you are missing are for the body mounts, you will find them in a later bag.. Or so i found with mine..
Old 06-08-2011, 04:56 AM   #2853
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDVAYNE View Post
I finally got around to starting my build last night, and so far I am missing two screws, two spacers, and I had to ream out the arms a little to be free on the pins. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.
I was missing (3) M3x6 button head screws and (2) M3x14. (2) M3x12 screws were in my kit isntead of the missing M3x14 I needed. I had spares from running my TC5 so used those. I thought I needed to ream my arms until I rolled the hinge pins on a flat surface and saw they were slightly bent. Rolled some hinge pins from my TC5r that were never used on the same flat surface and they rolled true.

I think with the TC6 AE expects the purchaser to already be an AE racer or at least have been in the hobby for a while to have all the spare bits and pieces needed to finish the car.
spongerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:18 AM   #2854
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongerX View Post
I was missing (3) M3x6 button head screws and (2) M3x14. (2) M3x12 screws were in my kit isntead of the missing M3x14 I needed. I had spares from running my TC5 so used those. I thought I needed to ream my arms until I rolled the hinge pins on a flat surface and saw they were slightly bent. Rolled some hinge pins from my TC5r that were never used on the same flat surface and they rolled true.

I think with the TC6 AE expects the purchaser to already be an AE racer or at least have been in the hobby for a while to have all the spare bits and pieces needed to finish the car.
I slighty reem them out by hand with a small drill bit. I did it just enough so that the arms start to move freely. I guess I will find out more when I continue on tonight.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:03 PM   #2855
Tech Champion

It seems like the more time I spend building this kit the worse it gets, and right now I feel like I'm in the middle of next week. I have tried to build the cva's but had to resort to leaving the set screw out. And now on the fourth and last one (of course, its always the last one), even with the set screw out it still binds terrably. This after not having 4 screws and having issues building the shocks, I must say I'm not really impressed with the TC6 so far.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #2856
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
It seems like the more time I spend building this kit the worse it gets, and right now I feel like I'm in the middle of next week. I have tried to build the cva's but had to resort to leaving the set screw out. And now on the fourth and last one (of course, its always the last one), even with the set screw out it still binds terrably. This after not having 4 screws and having issues building the shocks, I must say I'm not really impressed with the TC6 so far.
Set screw can be a bear if you are putting it in last. Try putting the set screw in the dogbone first just enough so you can still get the pin through. You should be fine then.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:12 PM   #2857
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz955i View Post
Set screw can be a bear if you are putting it in last. Try putting the set screw in the dogbone first just enough so you can still get the pin through. You should be fine then.
I think its more of a quality issue than anything else. The cva's are alot more free without the setscrew, and even with the setscrew out of the fourth, it still is binding really bad. I even tried to file it down, and it still didn't help.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:02 PM   #2858
Tech Master

Quote:
I think its more of a quality issue than anything else. The cva's are alot more free without the setscrew, and even with the setscrew out of the fourth, it still is binding really bad. I even tried to file it down, and it still didn't help.
I had one CVA that took a bit of work to get smooth. Ended up just running the set screw until it bottomed on the pin but no more pressure. Since I'm using threadlock it didn't need to be cranked down. CVA freed right up. I almost think the set screw was distorting the pin but have no real data to support that. In all honesty that was the trickiest part of the build. Guess I got lucky with a good kit. Either way there shouldn't be that much disparity from one kit to the next. Good luck. When they are right they are a great car.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:20 PM   #2859
Tech Adept

Quote:
Put the set screw most of the way in when building the CVAs. Put the pin in and then tighten it. If left too far out during assembly it's not possible to get things together I've found.

I've never had binding from the set screw with all the TC5/TC6 CVAs I've built but where I have found binding is in the slot that's cut in the bone that the pin rotates around. I don't have a picture of it but just run a finger lightly over the ball part of the bone before assembling since it's not accessible after it's put together and near the end of it you might find some slightly raised metal around the edges of the slot. Cleaning up with a dremel grinding wheel or file should take car of that binding. 1 of my CVAs in my TC6 was pretty bad with the rough metal but tidying up the ball end of the bone around the slot with a dremel took care of that.
spongerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #2860
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Sometimes you need to just keep moving forward and making progress and make a mental note to come back to something. In the case of 1 sticky CVA, put it on back, it likely will free up and you'll never notice it. Hang in there, possibly you got a Friday kit...it will be worth it once you hit the track. Also... I agree with deburring the slot being a possible cause.
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:45 AM   #2861
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

looks like tc6 got lots of complain...
tweak problem, bulkhead material problem and cva..
now i really need to think twice...
is this problem happen to everyone..?
ahpeq_ong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:47 AM   #2862
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahpeq_ong View Post
No issues with my kit.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:51 AM   #2863
Tech Regular

Quote:
Haven't had any issue with mine...
Fastfreddy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:06 AM   #2864
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

maybe 2 out of 10 got few problem...
but i heard ae customer support is damn good and fast...
ahpeq_ong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:49 AM   #2865
Tech Addict

Quote:
mine is faultless since the beginning.
jorgesimes is offline   Reply With Quote