R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes

Old 05-13-2011, 07:36 AM   #2566
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Have I mentioned how much I like my TC6 so much more than the TCX.

Verndog. How about the same instructions and detail on doing the rear gear diff. to include part numbers. Have you done that yet? Us rookies would like some pictures as well.

Thanks.
goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:44 AM   #2567
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verndog View Post
Jury still out on that Mike, but in all honesty I somewhat doubt it will make a very noticeable difference. I was hoping for a bit more consistency on entry and you are saying just the opposite is true. I find that odd, as how does truer running tires with less friction going into corner create more push on entry?
Verndog...

I think the car feels kinda pushy at entry for two reasons, one is that the spool in the front will naturally create that feeling. Second reason is that the TC6 generates a lot of traction and has a very 'stuck' feeling. The car is very balanced feeling to me compared to many other cars out there (and yes I have run just about everything). I have never had any issues with chatter, but some people are more sensitive to it then others.

One thing you can try is a gear diff in the front with 500,000 weight oil...not really oil, but it feels similar to a spool, but still allows the front wheels to slightly rotate while cornering.

I have run this config in the past and have found it really smooth, but I am a bit more comfortable with the slipper spool.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:02 AM   #2568
Tech Addict

Guys read this: http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/new...iew=0000001726

I like this particular part:
"Both drivers have been very happy with the out of the box performance of the TC6 Factory Team kit. Other than the addition of a Yokomo gear diff, their cars are not fitted with any upgrade or development parts at all."

I have to say also that for me this is the 1st car i have that wins straight out of the box, and also have run a lot of cars in the past.
I am not criticizing anyone who wants to get their cars better, but i just think this car is perfect as it is.
jorgesimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:17 AM   #2569
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2drt View Post

Verndog. How about the same instructions and detail on doing the rear gear diff. to include part numbers. Have you done that yet? Us rookies would like some pictures as well.

Thanks.
Rumor has it AE may come out with a 6.1 and possibly have a gear diff option at some point, at that point I'll try one but for now I like the TC6 diff, can rely on 30+ runs in stock, cheap to rebuild, and am good at rebuilding...I actually like rebuilding my diffs and feel satisfaction of a new smooth feeling diff.
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:00 AM   #2570
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I personally run the litemodz in the front of my car (They are way more durable than the stock Unis or any DCJ Shafts- just sucks that they are so hard to get). This is the insight I can provide:

On Carpet: The stock unis chatter a lot under high grip conditions. You have to set up your car very aggressively so that you can turn your dual rate way down to keep the car from chattering. However, the chattering did not seem to affect lap times too much (but the car was about 0.05 to 0.1 secs faster per lap - it does add up). When turning at extreme angles, the stock unis help the car slow down and act sort of like "Drag brake" going into a corner. The less dual rate, the less the car chatters. The Litemodz, which are true Constant Velocity joints make the car much smoother. The car has less friction in the drive train so it flows better through the corner. You are therefore able to set it more "mellow" and the car becomes easier and more consistent to drive.

On Asphalt
: The difference here is much less noticeable. This is probably due to the fact that on asphalt, the tire folds over the surface, whereas on carpet, the surface deflects against the tire. On asphalt there is no noticeable chatter on the car, however with a true constant velocity joint the car still has a "smoother" feel to it. The stock unis at extreme angles again, make the car slow down in the corners a bit more than the aftermarket universals.

There are also several other factors to consider. For example Jorge, you race on large outdoor tracks, with flowing corners. Your steering angles are probably never very extreme. True constant velocity joints would not be as necessary here. Our track in Houston is a tight 95x60ft asphalt surface with medium high grip. Our lanes are 10 and 9ft wide, so our cars need to use a lot more dual rate to get the cars around the tightest of corners. This is where I feel ANY CAR, not just the TC6 is at a disadvantage when not running some sort of True Constant velocity Joint - or Nowadays, a Gear diff in the front (I still prefer the spool :P ) to prevent this chattering. On carpet, man, I don't see how you would not prefer the true constant velocity joints, even at 0.05 sec/lap this translates into about 1.5-2 seconds over a run. While at the club level this does not represent much, at a national race, when you are running a spool in the front, this could mean the difference between being 1st or being 5th. Denying this, is just lying to yourself.

Out of the BOX

Now the TC6 is a great car out of the box. Probably the best car I have ever driven with a stock set-up. Also the price is right. But the truth is, that there is some room for improvement in a couple of areas. These improvements might not mean much to the weekend warrior, but for any serious racer, something like vertical mount ball studs and True Constant Velocity Joints and if grip is high enough - a gear diff are a MUST. They make the difference that helps you shave that last tenth or two...

Kevin-
BTW Spec R is due to release their gear diff for the TC6 next month. This comes straight from the manager at Spec R/ Atomic who is a close friend of mine. If the Spec R diff was good enough for Reinhard to win the Worlds, it's good enough for me The process is far easier than modifying the HB DCJ and the difference is well worth it. Maintenance is way cheaper than ball diffs, even when replacing the gears (which you really never will have too, unless something breaks) is just a couple of bucks.

The rumor about the 6.1 was a misunderstanding on Hebert's thread. They were referring to the 12th scale. The TC6 has been out for barely 6 months. Don't look for an update too soon. Perhaps, some upgrades, yes, but I wouldn't think that they are preparing to release an all new kit too soon.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:20 AM   #2571
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I guess the reason i say that is the car binds more with the stock one's causing the car to slow easier getting into the corner as where the other one's are more free and thus not slowing down getting into the corner.

Sorry if i confused you. LOL

Mike

Quote:
Jury still out on that Mike, but in all honesty I somewhat doubt it will make a very noticeable difference. I was hoping for a bit more consistency on entry and you are saying just the opposite is true. I find that odd, as how does truer running tires with less friction going into corner create more push on entry?
Old 05-13-2011, 11:26 AM   #2572
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2drt View Post

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Blackstock View Post
I guess the reason i say that is the car binds more with the stock one's causing the car to slow easier getting into the corner as where the other one's are more free and thus not slowing down getting into the corner.

Sorry if i confused you. LOL

Mike
No problem...a little more drag brake will cancel out the difference in faster corner approach with less drag on front end though...correct?
Old 05-13-2011, 11:30 AM   #2573
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would think so but there is something to the bind effect that changes stuff. I am not a engineer or anything but i can tell you the feel difference is pretty big. That is why i am curious to see what you or anyone else has to say about them.

Quote:
No problem...a little more drag brake will cancel out the difference in faster corner approach with less drag on front end though...correct?
Old 05-13-2011, 11:36 AM   #2574
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I just HATE the fact manufacturers forces us into a corner kit after kit after kit. True CVJ's....vertical ballstud mounts.....hard front bumpers, and things of similar importance should be a 'given' at this point in the game. If there's one thing I can't stand is reading a thread on a new kit and racers discussing how to modify another brands' parts to make the new kit perform better(even if its in our own heads) and/or have better adjustments. Just kinda sad I think.

End rant.....

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:58 AM   #2575
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Blackstock View Post
I would think so but there is something to the bind effect that changes stuff. I am not a engineer or anything but i can tell you the feel difference is pretty big. That is why i am curious to see what you or anyone else has to say about them.
Well, that may be a while for me, I need to wait for it to stop raining here on the weekends and that doesn't seem possible quite yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
...If there's one thing I can't stand is reading a thread on a new kit and racers discussing how to modify another brands' parts to make the new kit perform better(even if its in our own heads) ...
Well, better quit reading then JB, because as long as humans are involved, perfectly good stuff will always be modified ....because we can . AE prob. says..."why make everyone pay extra for the few"....cant disagree with that.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:15 PM   #2576
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

JayBee, this is true, but as stated by many in this thread, these items are not "necessities" the car is perfectly competitive out of the box. Many of these items are not put in because of different elements, but I think in the case of the TC6 it's so that they can offer more value to customers. For example, by using the bulkhead caps they have, the cost is kept down in manufacturing by having to machine less parts. The gear diffs is a fairly new thing that just started trending hard in the past year and the bumper is pretty resilient unless you really bang the car hard.

Compromises like these allow the car to be 375 street price. Also, out of the box the car is perfectly capable of winning races, no question. Now, if we add hop-ups to the TC6, we add to the cost of the car, but still, we stay under the cost of the more expensive TC's out there like the Yoke and XRay.

Hop ups is something we are not used to much in the 10th scale world because we did get spoiled for a long time by cars that were fully loaded. But as in anything, people push the envelope and come out with "a better mousetrap". This in turn leads to aftermarket companies (such as us at reflex) that jump on the opportunity at making "optional parts" that ultimately are designed to increase your level of enjoyment of the hobby. These elements eventually may or may not make it into production cars, but it takes time. Still, to 90% of the drivers out there, these will not make much of a difference, if any at all. But for that top 10% of highly skilled guys, it can make the difference between 1st and 5th.

Lastly, remember, the manufacturers have to make money too. If this would not a profitable business, then there would be no manufacturers, therefore there would be no RC Cars. Also, if cars were fully loaded then you would start prices jumping up in order to make up the lost profit in aftermarket sales. It's all a vicious cycle
Old 05-13-2011, 01:09 PM   #2577
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Are people mostly using the stock ball studs and ball cups?
Old 05-13-2011, 01:17 PM   #2578
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwork View Post
I'm using losi captured ball ends (#LOSA6017), they are freer than stock ball cups. As for ball studs, stock ones are just fine.
Fastfreddy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:37 PM   #2579
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwork View Post
Stock ball cups work great alil tight but will free up after acouple runs. Or u can ream them out a bit with a old ball stud. Take the ball stud and a pair of dykes. With the cutter end make two vertical marks on it like you were tring to cut the ball in half. Dont go to deep. Chuck the old ball stud in the dremel. Put ball cup on ball stud and run dremel at a slow speed while holding the ball cup. Dont go to fast you can melt it or disform it. Snap back on the new ball stud and see if u need more. Once you get the hang of it you can do it pretty quickly. I cant take credit for this some one else posted this awhile back works great..
Old 05-13-2011, 01:44 PM   #2580
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Guys....really? LOL....price point is a mute point. Being in this hobby over 10 years now, I have yet to see where prices hindered our spending. We want what we want, when we want it. $500 kits....we buy. $350 speed controls....we got 'em....an extra $150-200 in hopups....hell yeah.
I would hate to be a manufacturer and see my customer base migrating to other brands to make my product just that much better. Why not just have them myself as a hopup option or include a couple of those items in kit form? Oh yeah....that dreaded price point, lol. Excluding the gear diffs, the things that we're talking about here are not cosmetic. They add value to the overall ownership of the kit. If its only in my head, lol.
And believe me, I'm not bagging on Associated at all bros., the whole 'frankenstein' kit idea gets under my skin. I know this kit performs well, I've driven one and in the middle of finishing mine up.
But I haven't raced much this past year (work, work and more work) .......so there it is.

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote