Wiki Posts
Search

Ezrun 8.5t troubles

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 02:47 AM
Tech Adept

Default Ezrun 8.5t troubles

Hi, my first post.

For last sundays racing i thought i had upgraded my sons Xray 08 from the Ezrun 9t and 35a to the 8.5t and 60a.
It was disapointing to say the least. When running the 9t it was pretty rapid running only 3 on punch and 15 degrees of timing. It had 80 spur and 19 pinion (48 dp) and didnt get that hot.
For the 8.5t i changed it to 84 spur and 25 pinion and ran the motor with only 3 on the punch and no timing to start with. It was slower than the 9t and the motor got very hot.
So, suggestions please re set up and gearing to get the best from it please?
I was going to turn settings back up to standard for a start.We run 35c Lipos.
Cheers
Old 07-07-2010, 10:38 AM
Tech Adept

Anyone
Old 07-07-2010, 10:54 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scoop
Anyone
FWIW, it's worth doing a baseline comparison first ie) test with same car, same gearing with the new motor/esc. Check temps and compare performance from there first. Because the EZrun is a 380 motor, it's likely that it would be hotter than what you'd expect from a 540 in a similar wind.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I had been debating about going 8.5t from 9t. the heat was definately from the gearing. since your loosing 300kv, u should probly try gearing just a tad taller to get it back. maybe even taller since its a bigger motor. go for 5.5-6.2 FDR.

I run my 9t at a 4.74 FDR for about 10 mins of shi** and giggles in a open parking lot. I wonder if the 8.5 could take it longer since the car happens to be just the speed i want.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:35 AM
Tech Adept

You must have a good fan on that 9 turn running those ratios. Ours would cut out indoors before the 5 minutes were up if we ran anywhere near that
The 84/25 is just over 5.5. Ive turned the wick up considerably for the next outing. Punch on 6 from 3 and timing up to 18.5 from 0.
See how we go
Old 07-08-2010, 12:48 PM
Tech Addict

Normally i run the 9t at 6.2 FDR, just to give u a ball park.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:27 AM
Tech Adept

Not that many showed any interest or offered any help but, the settings i last mentioned were tried this weekend and it went like a stabbed rat and ran cooler.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

I run the 9t ezrun with 60 amp speed controller.........It's geared 72 spur and 30 pinion with 48 pitch.......I can run down a 5000 mah lipo without stopping if I want.......But I do stop to let motor cool from time to time......Temp stays around 150......So unless something is binding or not moving free I would think the 8.5t with the gearing you have should run cooler...My 9t is in a TA05.......You might be under geared.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I am thinking about the 60 amp system.We don't run anything under 10.5 motors on our tight track.It's a small track .Should I buy this system?I just got back into racing.I have tc car to put this in.I just don't want to get back into racing and spend the large amounts of money I used to shell out several years ago.Racing was nickel and diming me to death.The EZ-Run system looks to be an economcal alternitive to the high end systems.But will it it last?

regards
Old 07-19-2010, 02:44 PM
Tech Addict

Oh yes. But I bet Their are some people using tekin at your track. You may want to look at xerun instead of ezrun to keep up with them.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by tc3jp
I am thinking about the 60 amp system.We don't run anything under 10.5 motors on our tight track.It's a small track .Should I buy this system?I just got back into racing.I have tc car to put this in.I just don't want to get back into racing and spend the large amounts of money I used to shell out several years ago.Racing was nickel and diming me to death.The EZ-Run system looks to be an economcal alternitive to the high end systems.But will it it last?

regards
I have had my ezrun system for about a year........First in a short course truck with 12t motor and now in my TA05 with 9t motor......What I have found out is it's all in how you gear your motors....At my track there are at lease six or seven 4.5t to 6.5t motors......Everything from epic,castle creation,novak ect....And dont get me wrong these are very good motors......But depending on the track if you gear right you can hang right with them with the ezrun for not much money........Some of the high end motors have sensors which are really smooth when you start off with no shutter but once your moving there is not much difference.......Of all the high end motors at my track there is only one that gives me problems to beat.........So really it's up to you....I have had no problem with the ezrun so far.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:13 PM
Tech Adept

I have to say that the 8.5 with 60a was quite surprising on sunday when cranked up but im not sure if they do an Ezrun 10.5. I didnt know Xerun existed in the range until joining this forum thinking that there was only Ezrun and then Speed Passion. Xerun do a 120a and 10.5 set which i would imagine would be pretty special for about £120/130 delivered off of Ebay.
I would agree that the gearing is a lot to do with it. I think that we will have to take the pinion down a couple as at the braking point for the end of our 25 meter straight its still gaining speed and therefore not reving out.