R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Please Help...::New to r/c:: (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/41229-please-help-new-r-c.html)

asiancupid63 05-23-2004 11:21 PM

Please Help...::New to r/c::

Hi everyone. I just started in the r/c world and was wondering if anyone could help me. I don't know much, due to the fact that im new. I look forward to running an electric 1/10 scale. I have a few questions about escs, motors, etc. First, for the esc, what determines its speed? I heard that the more amps it offers, the faster it makes your r/c go. What's the difference on motor turns? Such as an 8 turn motor compared to a 15 turn motor. Is more turns better? Or vice-versa. And also, is belt driven or shaft driven better? Which would you choose and why. I'd appreciate any other help/tips on any other r/c subjects. Thanks.

onnetz 05-23-2004 11:35 PM

as for esc's, how many amps they can handle decides what motor they can handle. more amps = faster motor = less runtime
as for motors and winds, the fewer winds a motor has the more rpms and more current it draws.

Soviet 05-23-2004 11:41 PM

Well bro...you're asking alot of questions...but thats ok. First off...lemme welcome you to the sickness that is R/C !!!

Now...Here's the deal...Nothing is "better" than something else...so get that idea out of your head right away. Just like in anything else...every car/ motor/ radio / speed control, etc. has a purpose that it's designed for.

Since you're beginning, you'll probably be best served by the following tips:

1. Buy a KIT...then build it. Ready to Run cars do not help develop R/C skills the way a kit can. Besides....you'll feel much better about your car if you build it as opposed to buying it.

2. Motors. More turns = more torque...little less speed. Great for beginners.

Less turns = More speed and more chances to break your new car.

3. Buy good tools...they make your life SO much easier in the long run. Sure...no-one lieks to spend $40.00 on nice allen wrenches...however once you do...you'll be thankful you bought them every time you work on your car.

4. Learn to solder well. Buy a HOT and wide-tipped iron and good quality solder and flux.

5. Get an FM radio...preferably a computer type if you can afford it.

6. To learn more...hang out at your local hobby shop....go to races...make some local friends and simply ask for advice and / or help. Us RC types are pretty friendly (Except for those snobbish X-RAY Drivers... ;) )...so don't be afraid to ask.

7. Buy a GOOD RC magazine and READ it...subscribe if you can. I recommend Xtreme RC Cars...or RC Driver. Radio Control Car Action is what most of us stared on a long time ago...however...they have sold out BIGTIME and now are just a huge - cheezy advertising magazine.

Hope that helps...and of course...hang out here!

-Soviet

cubic 05-24-2004 03:04 AM

Ha ha they are the same throught out the world , arent they...
:nod:

Quote (Except for those snobbish X-RAY Drivers... ;)

-Soviet [/B][/QUOTE] :nod:

Cain 05-24-2004 05:40 AM

First, do you plan to race at all?

If you do, you should go to your LHS that you plan to race at and see what classes they run. Make sure and ask the race directory if they have a novice class or even a spec touring class, find out the requirements and they come back and post what they say the rules and requirements are.

Also, check and see what parts they stock for which cars. You don't want to buy a car that is hard to get parts for, and as a new guy you probably are going to want to get some help on your car, people who have the same car at the track make things easier.

If they say that you will be in a stock class ( 27 turn motor ) look into picking up a P2k2 pro motor. this will give you a good balance or torque and RPM. If you want something faster to bash with but still reasonable, look into the Reedy 19T Quad mag motor or the Orion Element / Peak Dynasty motor.

For durability the X-Ray is very nice, very tough vehicle. the T1R model would work well for you since you are starting out. The TC3 is a nice vehicle as well but needs a few protection pieces to be ideal. Look for the BRP front bumper ( or RPM bumper ), BRP nerf wings, and BRP rear bumper. The TC3 probably will be the easiest to find parts for.

If you got any more questions feel free to post and I will see what I can answer that hasn't already been answered. Also, before you buy, post what your rules are and what you are considering so you can get advice on what you are buying.

mwcet8k 05-24-2004 09:06 AM

Ok, let me tackle your questions one at a time:

1. As far as ESCs go, there isn't really anything that directly determines its speed, so to speak. As onnetz said, the higher the number of amps an ESC can handle, the more powerful the motor it can handle (i.e. lower turn motors). That equal more speed for your car.
2. Lower turn motors have more horsepower, or high-end power. Higher turn motors have more torque, but you probably won't notice it that much because a low turn motor will more than make up for the lack of torque in high-end horsepower. All stock motors are 27 turn single (aka 27x1). That means that a single strand of copper wire is wrapped around each of the three arms on the armature 27 times. Because the wire is longer on a stock motor there is more electrical resistance, which reduces the power output of the motor. Modified motors typically have anywhere from 7 - 18 turns of wire, so there is less electrical resistance built into the motor, which equates to more power and speed (although less torque, but again that's not very noticeable). You will also hear of modified motors like "12 turn double" or "10 turn triple" etc. That means two thinner strands of copper wire wrapped 12 times around the arms (three strands for a triple). They're wrapped side by side. Typically a double or triple will produce more high-end power and less torque than a single.
3. Belt vs. shaft really just boils down to personal preference. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. Personally, I'm partial to Losi vehicles, so I run a belt car (XXX-S).

edseb 05-24-2004 11:33 AM

More notes.
1. If you are planning on racing, make sure your esc doesn't have reverse, or make sure you can turn it off. For whatever reason, reverse isn't legal. More expensive ESC will not only handle more power, but will offer more features (if you are just starting you probably woon't take advantage of them). Since you are just beginning and I'm assuming you want to race, then go with something inexpensive if cost is a concern. In Novice racing, the only class realistic for you to enter is stock (27 turns). Others classes such as Mod and 19t spec are meant for experienced racers only. Stock class is also broken down in to more than one category, so you be put with other racers of your level.
2. If your racing, just get a stock motor. Like I mentioned above, that's the only class you'll want to race. It sounds slow, but believe me its not. Also, with faster motors comes a much higher level of maintenance and battery consumption. You'll have to frequently rebuild a mod motor for it even to function correctly.
3. Belt vs Shaft. No clear winner. Ask 100 people and you'll get 100 different varying opinions. Bets thing to do, since you will need some help from fellow racers to get up to speed, find out the common car in your area and get it. You'll have support form your LHS and other racers. Don't get an exotic car, you'll need to have answers quick in a lot of situations and racers can be your allie. Also, don't get a RTR, most still need other things to make them legal for racing, and you won't learn as much.

JusBox 05-24-2004 11:38 AM

R/C Car Action has always been a cheesy magazine and i've been in this hobby for over 10 years.

asiancupid63 05-24-2004 06:20 PM

Wow thanks a lot everyone. That was a ton of information. I really appreciate it. Well yes i do plan on racing but haven't checked out my LHS yet. Ill have to do that sometime after my finals in school which is next week :sweat: . Oh an also, i picked up a few things from my friend that no longer is in the r.c hobby. He gave me a few things such as a Tamiya TL-01, some batteries, and an 8 turn pikes peak motor. I dont like the Tamiya so much but yea...it didnt cost me. Any suggestions after hearing that?

LancerEvoV 05-24-2004 07:12 PM

go check out the rookie section of the forums too. That seemed to help me out alot.

Cain 05-25-2004 08:22 PM

can the TL-01 drivetrain stand that much power? :weird:

I bet a crash wouldn't be pretty! :lol: