Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More
GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric! >

GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree17Likes

GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 12:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kcunamay
I hope to see all of you guys this coming Sun in Corona.
Yup, I'll be there!!!

And oh ya, I'd love to race that awesome track in Mexico one of these days when the economy starts puttin' out again........ maybe then I could afford a dream race trip like that...... and still be able to have a vacation when the racing is done.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:25 AM
Tech Elite

Dan,

Its cool, just wanted to give ya'll an invite to come run with us.

Great opportunity for companies looking to help grow GT racing, show their products and have fun with an international audience.
Take care.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 184 (99%+)

thats a lot of fun running my brand new dm1 at corona and looks like need more adjustment of my car, first time running outdoor and it is so cool, see you again for next gt8 race..
Old 11-29-2010, 09:16 AM
Tech Regular

Ya, I had a good time yesterday in spite of the the rather chilly temps. I've still got lots of chassis setup to do to get my DM1-s dialed but I'm getting closer and made some big strides yesterday.

My biggest problem yesterday was getting enough heat into the PMTs on that cold pavement. For the first few laps I was gettin' my drift on and by about 8 laps into the race they finally started to get some grip and were just starting to hook up really well by the time the race was over. I think I want to try out some Sweeps, they don't seem so temperature sensitive. I really don't want to get involved with tire warmers if I don't have to.

One thing I've noticed about these cars, they will flip pretty easily if you tag a corner "dot" or course marker, it really surprised me a couple times, it takes much less than you would imagine.

Thanks again to DJ of the Ofna crew for coming up with a spare pinion for me after mine decided to exit the car on it's own, grrr....
Old 11-29-2010, 02:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by danketchpel
Ya, I had a good time yesterday in spite of the the rather chilly temps. I've still got lots of chassis setup to do to get my DM1-s dialed but I'm getting closer and made some big strides yesterday.

My biggest problem yesterday was getting enough heat into the PMTs on that cold pavement. For the first few laps I was gettin' my drift on and by about 8 laps into the race they finally started to get some grip and were just starting to hook up really well by the time the race was over. I think I want to try out some Sweeps, they don't seem so temperature sensitive. I really don't want to get involved with tire warmers if I don't have to.

One thing I've noticed about these cars, they will flip pretty easily if you tag a corner "dot" or course marker, it really surprised me a couple times, it takes much less than you would imagine.

Thanks again to DJ of the Ofna crew for coming up with a spare pinion for me after mine decided to exit the car on it's own, grrr....

No problem Dan, yours might have spun off and wizzzed it's to the bushes good luck in trying to find that one.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:49 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by -R2-
No problem Dan, yours might have spun off and wizzzed it's to the bushes good luck in trying to find that one.
After searching the track pretty good I think you're right.

I'm planning on adding a simple little screwed on tab to the chassis to prevent the pinion from actually "exiting the car" the next time, even if I loose the setscrew it will stay on the motor shaft. It will be simple and easy and I won't have to sweat actually loosing the dang thing next time. I did use loctite when I put the last one on so.......
Old 11-29-2010, 10:00 PM
Tech Master

So is there any GT8 racing this coming up weekend? I know the Toys for Tots is next weekend. What's the scoop? I'm getting rid of the last holiday guests by Wednesday. Oh yeah!!!!!
Old 11-29-2010, 10:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FangsCPO
So is there any GT8 racing this coming up weekend? I know the Toys for Tots is next weekend. What's the scoop? I'm getting rid of the last holiday guests by Wednesday. Oh yeah!!!!!

I think surfcity is this weekend, I have to work doing a server move over the weekend. Jerry cleaned up at Corona. Got out clean from the first turn and they never caught him.

Mark
Old 11-29-2010, 11:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by markw
I think surfcity is this weekend, I have to work doing a server move over the weekend. Jerry cleaned up at Corona. Got out clean from the first turn and they never caught him.

Mark
If it wasn't for Markw I would not even have had a chance! He loaned a battery to me for practice! And I didn't even have a battery fully charged for the A-main, because i had to use my last battery in the B-main. He then gave me a boost charge for my batts using his "super duper" charger so i can have a chance at the A-main!
Thank you Mark!
That's one for the books! I'm glad we took one home!
Old 11-30-2010, 12:01 AM
Super Moderator

Yep, Surf City this Sunday! All i can say is WOW!!! Jerry cleaned house in teh B-main, STarting LAST in the A-Main, he got into first then he said BYE BYE to everyone!!! We are continually getting new faces in GT8 and the class is going strong!!! So if anyone wants to get their cars Dialed in for the Toys 4 Tots race, come on out this Sunday! Think of it as a warm up race!

we had 13 GT8's out this Sunday, even with the holiday schedule...i thing GT8 will be the biggest class at the Toys 4 Tots race in Surf City!

It was great meeting Henry and Darryl, newcomers to the GT8 Scene. It will be a good 2 weeks!
Old 11-30-2010, 09:59 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by charlie_b
All i can say is WOW!!! Jerry cleaned house in teh B-main, STarting LAST in the A-Main, he got into first then he said BYE BYE to everyone!!! We are continually getting new faces in GT8 and the class is going strong!!! We had 13 GT8's out this Sunday, even with the holiday schedule..
It was great to have some new racers in the class, SNR got his wish as everybody really stepped up the pace. Several of us are still getting our cars dialed in so I think the pace will keep getting faster.

No doubt there are several contenders for the podium these days which is the way it should be. I also like that there doesn't seem to be any one car or setup that is way out front, that is the best part. I think the only thing many of us found is how hard it is to keep the PMTs at their best operating temperature. The A-main was stopped early by a timing loop cut and by the time it got restarted the tires had cooled back down and it was back to drifting for a few more laps until they warmed back up.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:54 AM

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I had problems this past weekend, I was trying out some new electronics which did not pan out. The car handle great it just the sensor motors I was running could not handle the load.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snrscion
I had problems this past weekend, I was trying out some new electronics which did not pan out. The car handle great it just the sensor motors I was running could not handle the load.
What stuff were you trying out?
Old 11-30-2010, 11:03 AM

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by -TC5racer-
What stuff were you trying out?
Well I was running Castle MMP with LRP 2500kv motor, it was real smooth power band but the motor could not handle the load and spun the rotor. The second motor was a Novak 4.5HV which was very fast but over heated the esc and kept stalling the esc. I am going to try a Tekin 2050 next.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snrscion
Well I was running Castle MMP with LRP 2500kv motor, it was real smooth power band but the motor could not handle the load and spun the rotor. The second motor was a Novak 4.5HV which was very fast but over heated the esc and kept stalling the esc. I am going to try a Tekin 2050 next.

Yes, the GTP chassis needs a 1000W motor as a minimum.

I have the LRP 2500kv motor as well and it's only good for 3S applications in lighter cars. My son hated the motor in his hyper7. Mind you he is 8 yrs old only. He begged to put the old motor back, which is the Hacker C50-13L 1900kv motor. That class motor is the perfect power plant for GTP and Buggy's. Super smooth and quick spool up with the right amount of torque.

Last edited by snellemin; 11-30-2010 at 12:43 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.