R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #1261
Tech Master
 
FangsCPO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chula Vista, CA
Posts: 1,076
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post
I ran into a small issue with my build tonight and wonder if anyone can help.

I mounted up the shocks for the first time, just to test fit and get an idea of mounting positions, ride height, droop, etc. The problem is that there is no droop. The car doesn't "settle in" at all when put on the ground, not even 1mm. The wheels stay at the same height as if you had it lifted off the ground.

I did this test with lipos, motor, ESC, servo, and RX all in the vehicle, so aside from the body it was at RTR weight. I am using springs that are about 28 lb/in with the shock collars adjusted all the way to the top of the shock. Now to me this says the springs are too firm, but I spent A LOT of time researching spring rates for 1/8 on-road and everything I found tells me that 28 lb/in is on the soft end of the spectrum, and that some people use springs going up to 40-60 lb/in or even higher in some cases. That is why I am confused. The numbers always seemed high to me, but everything I found said that was what to use. But now I try it and it seems to firm.

Any insight is appreciated. I have some springs on the way that are between 18-25 lb/in so I guess I should try those next?
Check your sway bars, maybe too tight or placed wrong. Check your "set screw" on your lower arms. Aside from that, I can think of what could be wrong. Good Luck!
__________________
Losi 5ive-T - OBR G320RC "Reed" 31.5cc Full Mod
Losi 5ive-T - "2WD PRO2" OBR G290RC 30.5cc Full Mod
Losi 5ive-B - OBR G320RC 31.5cc Full Mod
OBR/TR Core Team Driver
TLR Team Driver
FangsCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:47 AM   #1262
Tech Regular
 
kcunamay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 392
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Can you post a pic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post
I ran into a small issue with my build tonight and wonder if anyone can help.

I mounted up the shocks for the first time, just to test fit and get an idea of mounting positions, ride height, droop, etc. The problem is that there is no droop. The car doesn't "settle in" at all when put on the ground, not even 1mm. The wheels stay at the same height as if you had it lifted off the ground.

I did this test with lipos, motor, ESC, servo, and RX all in the vehicle, so aside from the body it was at RTR weight. I am using springs that are about 28 lb/in with the shock collars adjusted all the way to the top of the shock. Now to me this says the springs are too firm, but I spent A LOT of time researching spring rates for 1/8 on-road and everything I found tells me that 28 lb/in is on the soft end of the spectrum, and that some people use springs going up to 40-60 lb/in or even higher in some cases. That is why I am confused. The numbers always seemed high to me, but everything I found said that was what to use. But now I try it and it seems to firm.

Any insight is appreciated. I have some springs on the way that are between 18-25 lb/in so I guess I should try those next?

I'm guessing that the REVO shocks you used are too long perhaps? Or it might be that the geometry of the IGT shock tower coupled with your JAMMIN arms (bottom hole for shock mount) may be different, standing the shocks up more?

Post pics of it mounted and we may be able to help you out.
__________________
Jai Cunamay - Racing 1 class sucks.
kcunamay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:22 AM   #1263
Tech Elite
 
Jspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: America!
Posts: 3,511
Default

Phille’s Ipanema GT Warrior from Stockholm Sweden!



Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:06 AM   #1264
Tech Adept
 
Missle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Cinci, OH
Posts: 112
Default

So is it really CF and if so, how in the heck do you press/weave that or is just a thin layer applied to the body?
Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:36 AM   #1265
Tech Elite
 
Jspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: America!
Posts: 3,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missle View Post
So is it really CF and if so, how in the heck do you press/weave that or is just a thin layer applied to the body?
I don't know how he did it, but it sure looks radical don't it?
Attached Thumbnails
GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!-philles-ipanema-warrior-gt-racing-body-close-up-front.jpg  
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:02 AM   #1266
Tech Adept
 
Missle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Cinci, OH
Posts: 112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspeed View Post
I don't know how he did it, but it sure looks radical don't it?
I see. I thought it was one of your high-tech bodies
Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:00 AM   #1267
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: On the SNAPON TRUCK
Posts: 171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missle View Post
So is it really CF and if so, how in the heck do you press/weave that or is just a thin layer applied to the body?
carbon vinyl wrap
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:07 AM   #1268
Registered User
 
snrscion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Garden Grove
Posts: 959
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to snrscion Send a message via Yahoo to snrscion
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FangsCPO View Post
Those are Max Velocity shock towers, I found out about your shock towers after the fact.
Oh ok I like to take care of the West Coast guys over here. Us Navy Vet. need to take care of each other.

Steve
snrscion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:04 PM   #1269
Tech Master
 
simplechamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,315
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FangsCPO View Post
Check your sway bars, maybe too tight or placed wrong. Check your "set screw" on your lower arms. Aside from that, I can think of what could be wrong. Good Luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcunamay View Post
I'm guessing that the REVO shocks you used are too long perhaps? Or it might be that the geometry of the IGT shock tower coupled with your JAMMIN arms (bottom hole for shock mount) may be different, standing the shocks up more?

Post pics of it mounted and we may be able to help you out.
Thanks for the suggestions/ideas guys. I can comment on a few things.

The set screws on the lower arms were backed out and not touching the chassis, and also I didn't have the sway bars attached. So those can be ruled out. The Jammin arms are basically identical to Inferno arms (really the whole suspension is almost identical) so that can probably be ruled out as a problem too.

So that leaves the shock length, which is a possibility, but I don't think that's it either. The Revo shocks put the car at the proper ride height using the IGT towers, there just isn't any droop when setting the car down. Even if they were a bit too short or too long that would effect ride height, but the car should still droop a few mm when it's set down. But I could be overlooking something there, and I do admit I don't have much knowledge of suspension geometry.

I still am leaning to the spring rate being the issue. It makes sense that it would be the cause, the only reason I second guess that is because as I said before everything I've found said these springs were right. But maybe a few lb/in is all it takes to be too firm? Would the lower weight of the CF chassis be enough to require a moderately lighter spring? I guess I should weigh the thing RTR and get a comparison to your guys rides, like IGT, DM-1, GTP2e, etc.

I am going to wait and see what happens with a slightly lighter spring, and then if it's still an issue I will take some pics. Thanks again for the help guys!
__________________
Serpent 811Be - Jammin X2 Carbon e-GT conversion - Axial SCX10 Honcho
simplechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #1270
Tech Master
 
simplechamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,315
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

Today I received my Ofna cam-type motor mount (OFN41125). It is supposed to be direct fit for the Jammin, but I needed 2 small washers on each side underneath the top plate. This motor mount can work for the DM-1 too since it has the same mounting hole pattern as the Jammin (may need a few washers also).

Overall the mount seems very solid, and the two M4 socket-head screws should clamp the cam in place without issue (I was a bit surprised that these screws were not included, have to provide them yourself). The cam itself mounts to the motor with two M3 flathead screws. Looks like there is a fair amount of adjustment available for different pinion sizes (although I don't think quite as much as my RCM mount), and the mount seems to favor smaller pinions and spurs.

I also received a bunch of springs today, so I need to do more testing with my suspension and see if I can get the droop figured out. Hopefully stepping down the firmness a bit will do the trick.
Attached Thumbnails
GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!-p1030246.jpg   GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!-p1030247.jpg  
__________________
Serpent 811Be - Jammin X2 Carbon e-GT conversion - Axial SCX10 Honcho
simplechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:24 PM   #1271
Tech Elite
 
Pit-racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Cali/Texas
Posts: 2,241
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs up

treborwd22 you'd probably want to go with the Alpha R2 body and yes you're right on with the SWEEPS!
__________________
www.igthobbies.com / Serpent Cobra GT / 748 TQ / Serpent Eryx 3.0 / Desoto Racing / Veytrex.com / JZRacing / Flo-Control
Pit-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:29 PM   #1272
Tech Elite
 
Pit-racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Cali/Texas
Posts: 2,241
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

You'll like it very much treborwd22
__________________
www.igthobbies.com / Serpent Cobra GT / 748 TQ / Serpent Eryx 3.0 / Desoto Racing / Veytrex.com / JZRacing / Flo-Control
Pit-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:05 PM   #1273
Tech Master
 
simplechamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,315
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

Hooray, I officially have a roller! (I still need to adjust the shock settings, toe, camber, etc., so I do know they look a bit off)

I decided to go ahead and order the Max Velocity CF towers from Bill, and those along with the body should be here next week.
Attached Thumbnails
GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!-p1030248.jpg   GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!-p1030250.jpg   GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!-p1030251.jpg   GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!-p1030252.jpg  
__________________
Serpent 811Be - Jammin X2 Carbon e-GT conversion - Axial SCX10 Honcho
simplechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:31 PM   #1274
Tech Fanatic
 
whipnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 994
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post
Hooray, I officially have a roller! (I still need to adjust the shock settings, toe, camber, etc., so I do know they look a bit off)

I decided to go ahead and order the Max Velocity CF towers from Bill, and those along with the body should be here next week.
That's come together nice man.

*
__________________
Beat Your RC Like It Owes You Money!!
http://www.RCCOH.com
whipnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:27 PM   #1275
Tech Master
 
simplechamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,315
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

Thanks, I hope it drives as good as it looks, LOL!

Do I need to run sway bars in both front and rear?
__________________
Serpent 811Be - Jammin X2 Carbon e-GT conversion - Axial SCX10 Honcho
simplechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GT class--buggy-based on road! duneland Nitro On-Road 9643 11-16-2016 04:11 AM
SS Raceway in Tampa Rojna Florida Racing 5042 07-15-2014 01:03 AM
Looking for 1/10 Electric Racers on the New Asphalt at Mikes, Houston John Stranahan Texas Racing 495 10-08-2010 04:55 PM
2008 BLUE DIAMOND/G FORCE ONOAD SCENE spurcheck Racing Forum 1772 04-16-2009 10:39 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:27 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0