R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-27-2011, 04:10 PM   #1216
Tech Elite
 
pinoy69racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,568
Trader Rating: 179 (99%+)
Default

GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!-p81-004.jpg

can't wait to run @ surf city i hope i can race with the gt8
__________________
HENRY C
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DESOTO RACING/SERPENT/VEYTREX DESIGN LAB/RC TARGET
pinoy69racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:06 PM   #1217
Tech Master
 
simplechamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,315
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

I was originally planning to run DM-1 shock towers in my Jammin conversion since they both use the same bulkhead, but then decided to use modified X2 towers. After kicking that around for awhile and also changing my shock choice (from 1/8 buggy fronts to Revo shocks) I finally found the perfect towers, which are from the IGT.

The IGT towers bolt right up to the Jammin bulkheads, since they are almost identical. There are only two small mods that had to be done. One was adding a tiny amount of clearance on both the front and rear towers, and was about 30 seconds of filing, VERY tiny amount of material removed (see pic 1, highlighted in yellow)

The second change was that the hingepin holes in the IGT front tower didn't line up quite right with the Jammin upper hingepin holder. I just decided to get rid of the front upper arms and hingepins altogether, and use a turnbuckle setup instead. Already had the parts in my spares bin. (see pic 2)

So now the towers are all set, and seem just about perfect for the Revo shocks with all mounting holes usable for plenty of adjustment. And the body mounts can be placed on the stock IGT tower locations rather than me guessing with the modded X2 towers, so I know the bodies will go on right. I'm going to run the plastic towers for now, but I'll definitely be saving up for a set of CF IGT towers.
Attached Thumbnails
GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!-p1030200.jpg   GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!-p1030199.jpg  
__________________
Serpent 811Be - Jammin X2 Carbon e-GT conversion - Axial SCX10 Honcho
simplechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:29 PM   #1218
Tech Regular
 
-TC5racer-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tomball,TX
Posts: 399
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default

That's looking real good!!!
__________________
GTPe-RX8-Neu 1515/1D | DM-1Se-RX8-Plettenburg MAXX | Losi GT8e-RX8-Hacker C50-9L |X1 CRT Pro-MMM-CC1717 | SCRT10-RX8-Hacker CMaxx | MHyperSte-RSpro-LMT XL4200 | TC5-RSpro-LRP 4.5 | TC3-RSpro-LRP 10.5 | B44-R1pro-Tekin 268
Just to name a few!!!
-TC5racer- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:31 PM   #1219
Tech Addict
 
WildBillMassey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North Bay Ontario Canada
Posts: 702
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post
I was originally planning to run DM-1 shock towers in my Jammin conversion since they both use the same bulkhead, but then decided to use modified X2 towers. After kicking that around for awhile and also changing my shock choice (from 1/8 buggy fronts to Revo shocks) I finally found the perfect towers, which are from the IGT.

The IGT towers bolt right up to the Jammin bulkheads, since they are almost identical. There are only two small mods that had to be done. One was adding a tiny amount of clearance on both the front and rear towers, and was about 30 seconds of filing, VERY tiny amount of material removed (see pic 1, highlighted in yellow)

The second change was that the hingepin holes in the IGT front tower didn't line up quite right with the Jammin upper hingepin holder. I just decided to get rid of the front upper arms and hingepins altogether, and use a turnbuckle setup instead. Already had the parts in my spares bin. (see pic 2)

So now the towers are all set, and seem just about perfect for the Revo shocks with all mounting holes usable for plenty of adjustment. And the body mounts can be placed on the stock IGT tower locations rather than me guessing with the modded X2 towers, so I know the bodies will go on right. I'm going to run the plastic towers for now, but I'll definitely be saving up for a set of CF IGT towers.
Where did you get those shock towers

Glad they worked out!
__________________
Former owner of The Nitro Pit and IGT Hobbies
Now living in the Great White North.

You may think you know what you're talking about, but the only person you're fooling is yourself - Wild Bill Massey
WildBillMassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:01 PM   #1220
Tech Fanatic
 
whipnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 994
Default

You're quite the innovative one simplechamp. Can't wait to see your final product.

*
__________________
Beat Your RC Like It Owes You Money!!
http://www.RCCOH.com
whipnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:06 PM   #1221
Tech Master
 
simplechamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,315
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

Thanks again Bill for hooking me up with the towers, they are pretty much the perfect tower for converting a Jammin. Can't wait to get a set of the CF ones

And thank you everyone else too for all the help and kind words. I've spent a long time admiring all of your guys awesome rides, it's nice to join the club!
__________________
Serpent 811Be - Jammin X2 Carbon e-GT conversion - Axial SCX10 Honcho

Last edited by simplechamp; 01-29-2011 at 11:17 PM.
simplechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:14 AM   #1222
Tech Adept
 
jekyll08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 148
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default dm-1 spec

hello all,
i have a dm-1 spec and bought the MAX VELOCITY RACING MVR12676 CARBON FIBER FRONT STANDUP SHOCK TOWER, and was wonder which front shocks to use because the front kit shocks don't reach all the holes on the shock tower, and limits my options.

thanks
jekyll08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:56 AM   #1223
Tech Master
 
simplechamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,315
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

The Max Velocity page says the stock shocks should work fine with that tower, although I can't say I have one to check myself.

Bill from IGT Hobbies carries the Max Velocity stuff now, so he can probably help you out with an answer. He posts in this thread often, or you can PM him, username "WildBillMassey"
__________________
Serpent 811Be - Jammin X2 Carbon e-GT conversion - Axial SCX10 Honcho
simplechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:29 AM   #1224
Tech Addict
 
WildBillMassey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North Bay Ontario Canada
Posts: 702
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekyll08 View Post
hello all,
i have a dm-1 spec and bought the MAX VELOCITY RACING MVR12676 CARBON FIBER FRONT STANDUP SHOCK TOWER, and was wonder which front shocks to use because the front kit shocks don't reach all the holes on the shock tower, and limits my options.

thanks
Contact Paul at Max Velocity, they have a new shock tower that addresses that issue, and they will swap the one you have for free.
__________________
Former owner of The Nitro Pit and IGT Hobbies
Now living in the Great White North.

You may think you know what you're talking about, but the only person you're fooling is yourself - Wild Bill Massey
WildBillMassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:02 PM   #1225
Tech Elite
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,077
Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPhalen View Post
Actually, this is the Losi L8ight Model. Good thing about this car is that it already comes with all the body mounts!

It's a Viper 1:8 scale motor. I've run a few of these in my 1:10th scale cars and they are BALLS-FAST! A quick spool up on the bench and this thing screams! Can't wait to put it down on the track!

The shocks are the stock L8ight Model shocks...big bores. Not sure on my spring setup yet but I'm working on it.

Gonna start hitting all of Charlies outdoor races to get some more time on the car. Final build will be in an upcoming issue of RC Driver magazine.
Hey Tony,

Those Viper motors look very similar to Tekin?
__________________
TRF419X / Pulse 17.5, T.O.P Racing Sabre Mini AWD / Impact 21.5, M06 Pro / Impact 21.5, XV-01 Pro Rallye / Kinetic 17.5
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:15 PM   #1226
Tech Regular
 
snellemin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Houston
Posts: 278
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

The Viper motor is nothing like the Tekin. I would say that it's more like the Novak 1/8 4 pole motors when you consider the ability to rebuild the motor.





__________________
6 KiloWatt Racer
GTP-1515 2700kv+RX8. GTP-C50-6L Hacker+RX8. CRT.5-C50-Maxx+modded RSpro.
RCM CRT.5 Neu 1506 6800kv+MMM.
snellemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:18 PM   #1227
Tech Master
 
simplechamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,315
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

The color scheme is similar, but that is where it ends. Unfortunately I think many people will "judge a book by it's cover" and give the Viper 1/8 an unfair opinion because of the color scheme. Personally I can't wait to buy one!
__________________
Serpent 811Be - Jammin X2 Carbon e-GT conversion - Axial SCX10 Honcho
simplechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:23 PM   #1228
Tech Elite
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,077
Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplechamp
The color scheme is similar, but that is where it ends. Unfortunately I think many people will "judge a book by it's cover" and give the Viper 1/8 an unfair opinion because of the color scheme. Personally I can't wait to buy one!
If it performs .. Well .... that's all that matters!
__________________
TRF419X / Pulse 17.5, T.O.P Racing Sabre Mini AWD / Impact 21.5, M06 Pro / Impact 21.5, XV-01 Pro Rallye / Kinetic 17.5
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:04 PM   #1229
Tech Master
 
FangsCPO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chula Vista, CA
Posts: 1,080
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekyll08 View Post
hello all,
i have a dm-1 spec and bought the MAX VELOCITY RACING MVR12676 CARBON FIBER FRONT STANDUP SHOCK TOWER, and was wonder which front shocks to use because the front kit shocks don't reach all the holes on the shock tower, and limits my options.

thanks
You stock shocks will fit fine. You may have bought the wrong towers. My Max Velocity Front Tower has 8 possible positions to mount the front shocks onto. Good Luck!
__________________
Losi 5ive-T - OBR G320RC "Reed" 31.5cc Full Mod
Losi 5ive-T - "2WD PRO2" OBR G290RC 30.5cc Full Mod
Losi 5ive-B - OBR G320RC 31.5cc Full Mod
OBR/TR Core Team Driver
TLR Team Driver
FangsCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:06 PM   #1230
Tech Master
 
FangsCPO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chula Vista, CA
Posts: 1,080
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post
The color scheme is similar, but that is where it ends. Unfortunately I think many people will "judge a book by it's cover" and give the Viper 1/8 an unfair opinion because of the color scheme. Personally I can't wait to buy one!
So are you saying that Tekin is no good in a round about way??
__________________
Losi 5ive-T - OBR G320RC "Reed" 31.5cc Full Mod
Losi 5ive-T - "2WD PRO2" OBR G290RC 30.5cc Full Mod
Losi 5ive-B - OBR G320RC 31.5cc Full Mod
OBR/TR Core Team Driver
TLR Team Driver
FangsCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GT class--buggy-based on road! duneland Nitro On-Road 9643 11-16-2016 03:11 AM
SS Raceway in Tampa Rojna Florida Racing 5042 07-15-2014 12:03 AM
Looking for 1/10 Electric Racers on the New Asphalt at Mikes, Houston John Stranahan Texas Racing 495 10-08-2010 03:55 PM
2008 BLUE DIAMOND/G FORCE ONOAD SCENE spurcheck Racing Forum 1772 04-16-2009 09:39 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:55 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net