Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More
GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric! >

GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!

Like Tree17Likes

GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!

Old 12-13-2010, 02:52 PM

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TPhalen
Been awhile since I posted on the Tech.

Had a great time in the GT8 class. Man, some of those cars out there were WICKED fast! I'm definitely underpowered! Thanks to Jai I was able to get the Losi L8ght Model conversion working. Plan is to strip her down and get to tweaking the diffs and shock oil. I still think it's got alot of unlocked potential left in it!

Raman, your car looked much better in the main. Soon as I get a better handle on this 1:8 deal we'll start getting your car in shape. Much easier to drive when it's working well.

Fun race Steve. Like I said Sunday, gotta race the track and the traffic. Could happen to anyone in the lead, ya know? Good race though. You got that OFNA hooked up.

Yeah that was fun Tony like in the old days when we ran 2wd offroad. Can't wait until next time we meet I want a shot at the title.

Last edited by snrscion; 12-13-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TPhalen
Fun race Steve. Like I said Sunday, gotta race the track and the traffic. Could happen to anyone in the lead, ya know? Good race though. You got that OFNA hooked up.
The A-main event race was stacked FULL of cars, probably too many actually. It's hard to not have some carnage with that many big cars banging doors on a moderate sized track.

I was having a hard time switching back and forth between tires. 1st heat on sweeps to try them out and was having to drive like in the movies. 2nd heat on PMTs with a couple changes and things were pretty good for me the car felt much better. A-main race back on sweeps due to temps dropping and the previous changes didn't work so good with the sweeps, ugh.

I'm having a hard time finding a good setup with my DM1-S. I've been trying everybody's suggestions and tossing in some of my own based on how it reacts to each change and I'm still not finding the setup it really needs. I think I might need to relocated my battery to the rear position more like a Teckno conversion, not sure. I think I also need heavier shock oil based on how those Losi cars are working.

PS thanks for the help in gearing my ABC car Tony, much better after kicking things up a couple notches, and no still no smoke.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snrscion
yeah we got rain out in the main yesterday. Next week is going to be interesting Hiro from Hot Bodies is going to run in our class everybody better bring their A game including me.
Hiro was a no show right? I didn't see a converted HPI / HB
Old 12-13-2010, 10:43 PM

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Hiro was their on Sat. but he didn't have it done yet, but Ito was their with his. The orange truck was a HPI Vorza with a Blitz body.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

I know this might not really be the place for it, but I tried posting in the wanted section and didn't get any response.

If anyone has a 1/8 on-road body they want to get rid of I'm looking for one. Can be used and even beat up a bit, one of your old bodies you don't use anymore. Wheelbase of Ofna GTP or Inferno GT1 is what I'm looking for. Thanks!
Old 12-14-2010, 02:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

The whole day was so much fun and GT8 was the cream of the crop for me. Of all the setup changes that we can do on these cars, the greatest change I noticed were tires. PMT's in the heat and Sweeps when it cools off.

The main was crazy!!! hahahahaha. Good thing these 1/8th scale cars are made for abuse, cuz I sure enough got some durability testing in! Can't wait for the next round.

I need to invest in some driver skill. Anybody know where I can get some of that stuff? lol. Tony - for your conversion to not be at otpimum....it was still VERY impressive! I can't wait till u get it sorted out. So I can make a carbon copy.

See you guys at Corona in '11.

Jai
Old 12-14-2010, 02:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snrscion
Hiro was their on Sat. but he didn't have it done yet, but Ito was their with his. The orange truck was a HPI Vorza with a Blitz body.
That blitz body looked great!
Old 12-14-2010, 08:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Finally got the BL conversion done. Now all I need is the power source. Going with Tekin, any recommendations on KV rating? 4 vs 5 vs 6 cell? What's a sweet spot?

Thanks much!

Old 12-14-2010, 08:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Sweet setup man.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by snellemin
Sweet setup man.
Thanks Bro. I see you're from Houston. Do you run at Mike's?

Old 12-14-2010, 08:56 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by whipnet
Thanks Bro. I see you're from Houston. Do you run at Mike's?

I'm too busy with the family and work, which leaves me no time to play during the day. I've been to Mike's once and plan to go again in my 2 weeks off.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I'm too busy with the family and work, which leaves me no time to play during the day. I've been to Mike's once and plan to go again in my 2 weeks off.
OK when are we going?
Old 12-14-2010, 09:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Cool man, it's a nice track even though I have only driven my GPV-1 bike on it.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:22 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by -TC5racer-
OK when are we going?

Last day of work is the 22nd.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by whipnet
Finally got the BL conversion done. Now all I need is the power source. Going with Tekin, any recommendations on KV rating? 4 vs 5 vs 6 cell? What's a sweet spot?

Thanks much!
Most people here are sticking to 4 cell batteries, that also gives you the option of running a pair of 2 cells in series if need be. I "suspect" that in the event that rules start to be applied to this class the 4S battery will be the size chosen. A 4S is faster than a pair of 2S in series though, not 100% sure why of that.

I'd suggest the 2650kv motor, that seems to be the sweet spot for most people so far. The Tekin stuff seems to be working very well with no DNFs that I know of. They don't seem to be running too hot either. I'm extremely happy with my Tekin setup so far, it's very smooth, has all the power I can use as I can keep up with anybody on the straights, and has been 100% reliable.

The Castle stuff also seems to be holding up well.

Something else I noticed from your photos. Seeing that you went with mechanical brakes I think you will need to upgrade the rotor and pads. That setup you have does not work very well at all, at least it didn't for me when I was running mine with Nitro power. To be perfectly honest, going direct drive and using electric brakes is the way to go. But, if you want to stick with mechanical brakes I'd suggest getting Ofna's special cut rotor part# 49009 and their special pads part# 36659.

Last edited by danketchpel; 12-14-2010 at 09:51 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.