Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Oval, Larger Scales and More
GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric! >

GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree17Likes

GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 04:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jspeed
It's the Ipanema Warrior body.

Fits any both short & long wheelbase chassis.
Rear quarter panels are basically flat, you make the openings where ever you need them to be.

Google or Ebay search will find them.
Thanks did Google it BTW did you do that paint job? and how much would you charge to do a similar one?
Old 11-18-2014, 05:04 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Emaculant
The coming outdoor season I looking to prepare a GT8. I've been eye balling the X3GT-E but the Cobra GT-E was recommended. Any thoughts I would like to be competitive. Price don't really matter (though I would prefer the bargain ). Also electronic recommendations as well. The guys in my area where running 4s max. Thanks.
I've had both, the Ofna X3GTe is favoured here by the sponsored guys but I couldn't stand it, a heavy 4s on one side it was inconsistent side to side, the rear dog bones just screamed cheap and nasty and centre spool might be good for speed runs, but it takes away a valuable tuning option. The body shell that comes with it looks pretty but not sure what sort of Aero they were going for, and the tyres that come with it may as well be drifters. The motor mount is more secure using two screws to secure rather than one on the serpent, but it uses M3 screws as opposed to M4.

The Serpent is leaps and bounds a better car, but it's not cheap. You get what you pay for!
Old 11-18-2014, 05:09 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Reaper1ct
Guys can someone help me with advice on what i would need to get started with a Serpent GTe Kit....i have a tekin 2050kv so what gearing do i need (spur/pinion) ? Someone mentioned i should get 0* hubs and knuckles and a serpent ally servo horn....what bodies fit? which tyre compound do you use? Do you mix compounds for grip? Is there anything that i should keep as spares?
I ran GRP S5 front and S3 rear last race and really liked how it worked out, I found S5 all round the back end slid a bit as the rears didn't warm up quickly and S3 all round the fronts started to fade after a few minutes.

Spares for the GTe? Probably the screws and flanged bushes for the hinge pin / C Hub area, and I always have a spare centre diff but we have to run a composite spur. Make sure you put extra loctite on the grub screws for the centre CVD's as well. Only part I have actually 'broken' so far is an axle pin.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus
I've had both, the Ofna X3GTe is favoured here by the sponsored guys but I couldn't stand it, a heavy 4s on one side it was inconsistent side to side, the rear dog bones just screamed cheap and nasty and centre spool might be good for speed runs, but it takes away a valuable tuning option. The body shell that comes with it looks pretty but not sure what sort of Aero they were going for, and the tyres that come with it may as well be drifters. The motor mount is more secure using two screws to secure rather than one on the serpent, but it uses M3 screws as opposed to M4.

The Serpent is leaps and bounds a better car, but it's not cheap. You get what you pay for!
WOW! Any other alternatives for a good competitive GT-E?
Old 11-18-2014, 07:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just bought a serpent gte hope that i did the write choice.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:59 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by nexxus
I ran GRP S5 front and S3 rear last race and really liked how it worked out, I found S5 all round the back end slid a bit as the rears didn't warm up quickly and S3 all round the fronts started to fade after a few minutes.

Spares for the GTe? Probably the screws and flanged bushes for the hinge pin / C Hub area, and I always have a spare centre diff but we have to run a composite spur. Make sure you put extra loctite on the grub screws for the centre CVD's as well. Only part I have actually 'broken' so far is an axle pin.
Thanks for the advice, i was actually making a combo like that for myself. anyway.....i decided to buy me the X3 GTe.....because i dont race competitively and some of the things the guys complain about are easily fixed.....

ive heard that the standard electrics it comes with aren't to bad. but i have a tekin 2050kv system...any idea of gearing or some options i need to add to my cart? Chassis braces?
Old 02-20-2015, 02:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Springs for off road shocks

I have an OFNA Hyper GT on road 1/8 scale car an.nd need some stiffer springs. Since this car has 1/8 scale off road sized shocks (but shorter) I though some one might have a suggestion as to where to get some springs stiff enough for on road (GT8) racing. that would fit those shocks Mugen and Serpent apparenetly use smaller diameter shocks than what is on the Hyper GT.

Thanks
Old 02-20-2015, 06:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

http://www.rc4less.com/product_info....925016b8ce2668
Try rc4less!
Old 02-21-2015, 03:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by J-milz
Thanks
Old 02-21-2015, 12:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Default RC8.2e Conversion

Here is my RC8.2e to GT8 conversion. It is based on the AE RC8.2e RTR.
Springs: 26 lbs/in fr and 20 lbs/in rear
Shocks: stock RTR with 70wt oil
Diff oils: 60k fr, 100k ctr, and 10k rear.
Ride height: 11mm fr and 12 rear.
Droop: 4mm fr and 6mm rear.
Alignment: 1 deg toe out, -2 deg camber, and stock caster (front); 2 deg toe in, -3 deg camber (rear)
Tires: Proline Road Rage
Total weight with 4s 5000 mAh battery 8.3lbs.

I am testing this setup on asphalt. My goal is to have a good setup for a technical track. I have not decided on a body however the OFNA X3 is very attractive.
Attached Thumbnails GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!-image.jpg  
Old 03-19-2015, 02:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by John Wallace2
I have an OFNA Hyper GT on road 1/8 scale car an.nd need some stiffer springs. Since this car has 1/8 scale off road sized shocks (but shorter) I though some one might have a suggestion as to where to get some springs stiff enough for on road (GT8) racing. that would fit those shocks Mugen and Serpent apparenetly use smaller diameter shocks than what is on the Hyper GT.

Thanks
FYI I fixed my spring issue two ways:
1. With the stock silver spring: I put a spacer between the lower shock mount and the lower sprig retainer & turned the ride height adjuster upside down and screwing it onto the shock body so that just a few threads were connected. This compressed the spring enough to keep the front ride height high enough so the chassis didn't scrape the ground.

2 I found a set of Team C hard front springs at my hobby shop. Because the OFNA springs have a slightly bigger diameter than a regular 1/8th scale spring, I replaced the stock OFNA spring retainer with one from my TEKNO SCT410 (it has 1/8th scale buggy shocks) & and kept the ride height adjuster upside down (also removed that spacer between the shock mount and the spring retainer). With this adjustment now any standard 1/8th scale spring (LOSI TEKNO TEAM C etc.) will fit the OFNA shocks.

So far the car seems to really like the Team C hard front springs and the stock rear springs. I ran it in practice last weekend and it was really hooked up. I was about 1/2 a second a lap slower than the other GT8 cars, but they were using 6s batteries and I only had a 4s battery. A couple tweaks to the ESC and I'll race it the next time I get a chance.

BTW I got the chassis stock except the center diff oil had been replaced with 100K. Only big difference in setup from my 1/10th touring cars is that I use much less camber in the front to keep the tires from wearing on the inside. Now I have ~ -0.25 degrees of camber and the tire wear is even now across the front tires. Saves money on tires and give me a lot more steering.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

We had our first organized outting this last weekend here in DFW for GT8. Had my Losi 8ight-GT8, a serpent e-cobra, and a Kyosho conversion. Track was set up pretty tight and technical on concrete.

Running 4s/2650kv I had way too mcuh power but car drove well, turned on a dime! Only problem was I suffered from some thermal issues. Geared down (started at 16t->13t)and smoothed out my acceleration/braking but still came off way too hot. Debating about swapping down to a 2250kv tekin (truggy) motor and I have a fan on order for the RX8.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You may want to run a fan to cool the motor.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mkiiina
We had our first organized outting this last weekend here in DFW for GT8. Had my Losi 8ight-GT8, a serpent e-cobra, and a Kyosho conversion. Track was set up pretty tight and technical on concrete.

Running 4s/2650kv I had way too mcuh power but car drove well, turned on a dime! Only problem was I suffered from some thermal issues. Geared down (started at 16t->13t)and smoothed out my acceleration/braking but still came off way too hot. Debating about swapping down to a 2250kv tekin (truggy) motor and I have a fan on order for the RX8.
That 2650 is really fast and can gobble up Nitro cars in the straight like they are standing still. Most of the guys in Brownsville run them at part throttle most of the time. I have the next Tekin buggy motor down from that in mine and that is about right for a big track and my driving style. How much timing are you using?
Old 05-18-2015, 09:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

This dual fan/heatsink works great: http://www.yeahracing.com/catalog/ya...er-p-3052.html

I was also running a second fan on top of the RX8 to push more air than the stock fan alone.

Don't be afraid to turn the current limiting in the RX8 WAY down. I was running it at 25 and could still light up the tires. Try 15-20.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.