R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-25-2014, 01:17 PM   #3361
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,484
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

GTP2E on 4S + Sweep 45 EXPs + Carpet Track = some serious fun.

The car still needs the springs for front and rear, but it is now under it's own power. I let a few of our club drivers take it for a spin. It never got much past quarter throttle, but it was a blast. It corners really well, but likes to swap ends off power due to the soft springs. The talk went to "I bet we could run 4 or 5 of these things at the same time" and everyone agreed. And this is indoor. I was hoping to spark interest for next summer as it is really too late this year for our club to act on it. Now we might be with them indoor for the fall/winter season. Cool!
__________________
John Higgins former student of The Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driving School. The "Team Principal".
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:01 AM   #3362
Tech Elite
 
Jspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: America!
Posts: 3,513
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaR View Post
Hi there!

I was thinking of going back on track. Hence switched my Audi to Warrior. I think it looks sweet (after cleaning). Tekin 2650kv combo.



Happy midsummer from Finland! Nightless night.
Hope all is going well for you Mika, good luck!
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:07 AM   #3363
Tech Elite
 
Jspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: America!
Posts: 3,513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post

The car still needs the springs for front and rear, but it is now under it's own power. I let a few of our club drivers take it for a spin. It never got much past quarter throttle, but it was a blast. It corners really well, but likes to swap ends off power due to the soft springs. The talk went to "I bet we could run 4 or 5 of these things at the same time" and everyone agreed. And this is indoor. I was hoping to spark interest for next summer as it is really too late this year for our club to act on it. Now we might be with them indoor for the fall/winter season. Cool!
Maybe the stock Kyosho IGT black springs might be a little stiffer. You might also play around with the droop to reduce weight transfer off throttle; maybe even shock oils to help slow transfer down a little too. Good luck
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:29 AM   #3364
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,484
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspeed View Post
Maybe the stock Kyosho IGT black springs might be a little stiffer. You might also play around with the droop to reduce weight transfer off throttle; maybe even shock oils to help slow transfer down a little too. Good luck
If the new springs don't work out, I'll give those a try! I picked up the heavy Ofna short yellow fronts and will mess with the oils until I get damping I can live with. You're right on droop, I'm at 6 front and 4 rear and I need to be at about half that or less. Thanks for the advice.
__________________
John Higgins former student of The Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driving School. The "Team Principal".
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:47 AM   #3365
Tech Elite
 
Jspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: America!
Posts: 3,513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
If the new springs don't work out, I'll give those a try! I picked up the heavy Ofna short yellow fronts and will mess with the oils until I get damping I can live with. You're right on droop, I'm at 6 front and 4 rear and I need to be at about half that or less. Thanks for the advice.
Its all good.

Maybe try swapping the 6mm droop to the rear, then the 4mm up front. Unless you really need the front to be able to rise up for weight transfer to get rear traction. Some of the best suspension changes are found in droop.

Not to get all crazy, but what diff oils are you running?
Since you're planning on indoor, my guess is the track must be technical/tight, yes?

A lot of times people go too thick on diff oils, because of suggestions from guys running large flowing tracks; so thinner might be a better way to go, on your indoor track. Oils that slow diff action too much for a layout can cause tires to break loose when more rotation is really needed.

On smaller/technical tracks I'd run GT years ago, 30K front & 10K rear diff oils helped rotation a lot. Some guys even ran lower off road buggy diff oil set-ups too. Just something to keep in mind, ok?

All the best.
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:27 AM   #3366
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,484
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspeed View Post
Its all good.

Maybe try swapping the 6mm droop to the rear, then the 4mm up front. Unless you really need the front to be able to rise up for weight transfer to get rear traction. Some of the best suspension changes are found in droop.

Not to get all crazy, but what diff oils are you running?
Since you're planning on indoor, my guess is the track must be technical/tight, yes?

A lot of times people go too thick on diff oils, because of suggestions from guys running large flowing tracks; so thinner might be a better way to go, on your indoor track. Oils that slow diff action too much for a layout can cause tires to break loose when more rotation is really needed.

On smaller/technical tracks I'd run GT years ago, 30K front & 10K rear diff oils helped rotation a lot. Some guys even ran lower off road buggy diff oil set-ups too. Just something to keep in mind, ok?

All the best.
I've put on the OFNA Yellow front springs with 80 wt oil, Red Rears with 50 wt oil, reset camber to -1* front, -2* rear. It stopped wallowing in the corners and rotates nice when it behaves. It still needed more side bite in the back, so now I've ordered the pivot ball rear conversion for it to gain adjustable toe over the current max 1.5*. I've also raised the inner link to the upper inside tower hole and lowered the outer to the outside lower hole trying to change the roll characteristics. The swaybars are keeping it nice and flat. This batch of changes should stiffen it up more side to side. Droop in front is maybe 2mm, I've really kept on reducing this as the front end does not push once the tires get heat in them. The rear is at about 3 mm droop.
__________________
John Higgins former student of The Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driving School. The "Team Principal".
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:14 AM   #3367
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cape Town
Posts: 241
Default

Guys im just reading through as im in the market for a new GT as i sold my two kyosho's.......Its a definite choice between the Serpent GT e and the Losi L8ight......which is better.... bear in mind i already own a Losi 2.0 truggy and Buggy. If i go losi, what would i need besides the e conversion....or is the serpent simply the best car?
Reaper1ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:19 AM   #3368
Tech Champion
 
nexxus's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 7,991
Trader Rating: 300 (100%+)
Default

I like the Serpent, the weight distribution is spot on, and I'm finding I can hang with the sponsored drivers and their Ofna's quite well, when usually I have no business being around them
__________________
A800 / A800X Awesomatix

Fry crack corn and I don't care,
Leela crack corn, I still don't care,
Bender crack corn and he is great!
Take that you stupid corn!

nexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:31 AM   #3369
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cape Town
Posts: 241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxus View Post
I like the Serpent, the weight distribution is spot on, and I'm finding I can hang with the sponsored drivers and their Ofna's quite well, when usually I have no business being around them
did you try a L8ight? i mean losi 1/8s are awesome......this is a tough decision...i know i will get a great car either way.....losi is arguably older and i dont know if parts are still available for the body posts and so on
Reaper1ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:45 AM   #3370
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Floresville, TX
Posts: 811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspeed View Post
Here’s an option you might consider, with it nobody will ever confuse your car from being a truck again.




Good luck & have fun!
Super What is it (and the part number) and where can I get it? Most of the 1/8 scale GT bodies are for longer wheel based cars than a buggy, for example they fit my truggy perfect, but not my buggy based Tekno SCT410 truck. If that body fits a LOSI eight buggy that's what I'm looking for. Plus any other bodies out there. Finding a good looking body is the main thing keeping me from running this class.

PS awesome paint job
John Wallace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:51 AM   #3371
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cape Town
Posts: 241
Default

Guys can someone help me with advice on what i would need to get started with a Serpent GTe Kit....i have a tekin 2050kv so what gearing do i need (spur/pinion) ? Someone mentioned i should get 0* hubs and knuckles and a serpent ally servo horn....what bodies fit? which tyre compound do you use? Do you mix compounds for grip? Is there anything that i should keep as spares?
Reaper1ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:38 AM   #3372
Tech Elite
 
Jspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: America!
Posts: 3,513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wallace2 View Post

Super What is it (and the part number) and where can I get it?

PS awesome paint job
It's the Ipanema Warrior body.

Fits any both short & long wheelbase chassis.
Rear quarter panels are basically flat, you make the openings where ever you need them to be.



Google or Ebay search will find them.
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:41 AM   #3373
Tech Elite
 
Jspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: America!
Posts: 3,513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper1ct View Post
....what bodies fit?
You could try this one too.

Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:56 AM   #3374
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cape Town
Posts: 241
Default

not available to south africa unfortunately...theres a few options that could work body wise....but im more concerned as to what i need to buy straight off the bat because i have to wait weeks before it gets to me. So i want to order once off
Reaper1ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 03:04 PM   #3375
Tech Regular
 
Emaculant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 380
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

The coming outdoor season I looking to prepare a GT8. I've been eye balling the X3GT-E but the Cobra GT-E was recommended. Any thoughts I would like to be competitive. Price don't really matter (though I would prefer the bargain ). Also electronic recommendations as well. The guys in my area where running 4s max. Thanks.
Emaculant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GT class--buggy-based on road! duneland Nitro On-Road 9643 11-16-2016 03:11 AM
SS Raceway in Tampa Rojna Florida Racing 5042 07-15-2014 12:03 AM
Looking for 1/10 Electric Racers on the New Asphalt at Mikes, Houston John Stranahan Texas Racing 495 10-08-2010 03:55 PM
2008 BLUE DIAMOND/G FORCE ONOAD SCENE spurcheck Racing Forum 1772 04-16-2009 09:39 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:55 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net