R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-20-2014, 09:38 AM   #3346
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-nil View Post
hi GT8e noob here. I have a tekno sc that I would like to try onroad with. So can I just get a GT shell mount it, slap a set of onroad tires and go or will I need to do anything else? e.g. shorter shocks, different shock towers etc...

Thanks.
If you're going to be racing seriously you need the 17mm hub adapters http://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr1654-...-4x4-2wd-2pcs/ so you can run good GT tires and get up to full legal width. You're also going to need some stiffer springs. Start by running our stiffest front spring on the rear and pick up this package of springs to run in the front. You'll definitely want to limit your droop, and maybe even your up-travel. Also pick up some stiffer swaybars. I'd start at 2.8mm all around. If you're staying with SC electronics (2s lipo and smaller motor) you could probably go a little lighter on the springs/sways but either way you'll most likely need to be a lot stiffer.

Now if you're simply just blasting around then all you really need is the body and some street SC treads .
Old 03-20-2014, 05:58 PM   #3347
Tech Fanatic

Has any1 tried with a scte I might be retiring mine from dirt
Scionara05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:19 PM   #3348
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_Armeni View Post
If you're going to be racing seriously you need the 17mm hub adapters http://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr1654-...-4x4-2wd-2pcs/ so you can run good GT tires and get up to full legal width. You're also going to need some stiffer springs. Start by running our stiffest front spring on the rear and pick up this package of springs to run in the front. You'll definitely want to limit your droop, and maybe even your up-travel. Also pick up some stiffer swaybars. I'd start at 2.8mm all around. If you're staying with SC electronics (2s lipo and smaller motor) you could probably go a little lighter on the springs/sways but either way you'll most likely need to be a lot stiffer.

Now if you're simply just blasting around then all you really need is the body and some street SC treads .
Thank you! I have some Louise Rockets already from just running in SC-guise on a track. I'll get a new lid and some springs and see how I get on then.
one-nil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:11 AM   #3349
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hello drivers it was quite unexpected but the new OFNA X3-GT body called the Cosmic is available right now for sale as a clear body with mask and decals, this body is killer looking and I know a lot of people are wanting it so now its available as of today, the part number is 41454 and will be posted on Nitrohouse soon. We just got them yesterday so I know LHS will need to order to get them for you. Get them now and go fast because the first order may sell out soon.
-R2- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:59 PM   #3350
Tech Fanatic

Quote:

Folks around here are playing with the idea of a bomber class (i.e., 2 cell 2wd and 4WD 1/10th SCT running on road with GT type bodies). I was thinking the same things you suggest until I ran my SCT410 on our on road track with some old off road tires (BTW I use 1/8 scale tires and full width 17mm hexes), to see what kind of adjustments I would need to make and the car handled surprisingly well and turned in some pretty quick lap times with the exact same soft setup I use for off-road. It rolled a lot in the turns, but I just lowered the ride height and when I ran it later in the street the roll was gone. I'm waiting for some 1/8th scale on road tires, as I type, to try next then I'll play some more with the setup but this truck runs surprisingly well on road without any big changes from its off road configuration. One thing I would suggest is the go up on the center diff oil and possibly heavier oil in the front diff too. I'm thinking now that swaybars, diff oils and droop changes are about the only changes I'm going to make to the truck.
John Wallace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:48 PM   #3351
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wallace2 View Post
Folks around here are playing with the idea of a bomber class (i.e., 2 cell 2wd and 4WD 1/10th SCT running on road with GT type bodies). I was thinking the same things you suggest until I ran my SCT410 on our on road track with some old off road tires (BTW I use 1/8 scale tires and full width 17mm hexes), to see what kind of adjustments I would need to make and the car handled surprisingly well and turned in some pretty quick lap times with the exact same soft setup I use for off-road. It rolled a lot in the turns, but I just lowered the ride height and when I ran it later in the street the roll was gone. I'm waiting for some 1/8th scale on road tires, as I type, to try next then I'll play some more with the setup but this truck runs surprisingly well on road without any big changes from its off road configuration. One thing I would suggest is the go up on the center diff oil and possibly heavier oil in the front diff too. I'm thinking now that swaybars, diff oils and droop changes are about the only changes I'm going to make to the truck.
I totally forgot about diff oil changes
I was running Kyosho 500K in the center, 50k in the front, and 10k in the rear, I think I dropped to 30k in the front for a little more steering later on, but somewhere close to those weights is a good starting point.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:48 AM   #3352
Tech Adept

well, I got a new shell from the LHS, it's the one by Sweep and the only GT8 body they had. Bit worried about fitting under the shock towers though when I got it home. Hope I won't need a new lower shock tower to fit.

John Wallace2: what was your original diff oil weights? Mine is at f/m/r 7/7/3 and ran great with some Louise Rockets.

Matthew_Armeni: I've got some Sweep 40s along with the body but undecided about which adapter to get. What is the actual difference between the TKR1654-17 suggested by you and the TKR5570-17 that is also available from Tekno? Thanks.
one-nil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:17 PM   #3353
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-nil View Post
well, I got a new shell from the LHS, it's the one by Sweep and the only GT8 body they had. Bit worried about fitting under the shock towers though when I got it home. Hope I won't need a new lower shock tower to fit.

John Wallace2: what was your original diff oil weights? Mine is at f/m/r 7/7/3 and ran great with some Louise Rockets.

Matthew_Armeni: I've got some Sweep 40s along with the body but undecided about which adapter to get. What is the actual difference between the TKR1654-17 suggested by you and the TKR5570-17 that is also available from Tekno? Thanks.
TKR1654-17 makes the width of the vehicle the legal limit of 8th scales and TKR5570-17 keeps the vehicle the legal limit of SC. In addition to being wider, TKR1654-17 is a more robust setup being all metal and having specific 8th scale like stub axles.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:16 PM   #3354
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I totally forgot about diff oil changes
I was running Kyosho 500K in the center, 50k in the front, and 10k in the rear, I think I dropped to 30k in the front for a little more steering later on, but somewhere close to those weights is a good starting point.
Remember I'm using the SCT410 SCT not the buggy. I was running 10/7/2 in the diffs (F/C/R). Also thinking about using 30 in the front and 15 to 30 in the center to better hook up the front and rear tires (After all this is asphalt not dirt) Then see what happens with that and play with the rear diff later as needed. But since I run spools in both of my on-road cars I bought some diff putty (2M weight) to lock up the front diff to see if I like that. Got my on road tires today and after much cussing I managed to get the foams in the tires and the tires on the wheels. So I want to make a few runs with those before I make too many changes to the truck. Big on road race Sunday in Austin. I'm taking my truck but not sure I'll have time to get it on the track.

PS still looking for a good looking GT like body that will fit my truck. Right now I just have a SCT body on it with lots of TEKNO SCT410 stickers on it so they know it isn't a buggy

Last edited by John Wallace2; 03-28-2014 at 11:30 PM.
John Wallace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:38 AM   #3355
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default Ferrari Body

GT-8 Nitro / Electric Ferrari Body
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com
Grenade10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:33 AM   #3356
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wallace2 View Post
PS still looking for a good looking GT like body that will fit my truck. Right now I just have a SCT body on it with lots of TEKNO SCT410 stickers on it so they know it isn't a buggy
Here’s an option you might consider, with it nobody will ever confuse your car from being a truck again.

Good luck & have fun!
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:01 AM   #3357
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I need some advice. I am in the process of converting a mugen eco with tekno v4 conversion to on road. I am going to purchase a protoform body and need to know what parts I will need to mount the body. I think I can take off the rear wing and use the wing mounting system with modification for the rear. If not please advise... I am clueless as to mounting a front bumper... Need part numbers.. Also ... Can anyone recommend diff oils for front/center/rear? I will have to use the front/rear shock set up.... I do have stiff springs.... Thinking of running hard springs for front and one step softer for the rears. I am planning on laying down the shocks, but don't know what shock oil to run. Please advise.... I was thinking of running about 10 mm +/- ride height. Car is equipped with a castle 2200kv motor with a mamba monster esc on 4s... Any thoughts on a pinion gear for a medium size on road track with a 140 ft. Straight? I was thinking of 19-21 ish...what fan should I purchase for the motor....and how do I mount it? I will be running alpha slicks - softs... Thanks for educated replies.... FYI this is for racing only...
SouthFloridaApp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:39 AM   #3358
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I'd really like to get mine on a track, but I need to find a track here in Wisconsin.

Mine will be Sweep 45 EXP Treaded and Belted premounts, 2250 and 150A HW combo, Geared 46/(20 to 24).

Last edited by liljohn1064; 06-16-2014 at 06:57 AM.
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:09 AM   #3359
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthFloridaApp View Post
I need some advice. I am in the process of converting a mugen eco with tekno v4 conversion to on road. I am going to purchase a protoform body and need to know what parts I will need to mount the body. I think I can take off the rear wing and use the wing mounting system with modification for the rear. If not please advise... I am clueless as to mounting a front bumper... Need part numbers.. Also ... Can anyone recommend diff oils for front/center/rear? I will have to use the front/rear shock set up.... I do have stiff springs.... Thinking of running hard springs for front and one step softer for the rears. I am planning on laying down the shocks, but don't know what shock oil to run. Please advise.... I was thinking of running about 10 mm +/- ride height. Car is equipped with a castle 2200kv motor with a mamba monster esc on 4s... Any thoughts on a pinion gear for a medium size on road track with a 140 ft. Straight? I was thinking of 19-21 ish...what fan should I purchase for the motor....and how do I mount it? I will be running alpha slicks - softs... Thanks for educated replies.... FYI this is for racing only...
Normally the shock that are run on the pavement are shorter than the offroad. Think ground clearance of 8mm to 12mm, shocks off the Serpent or OFNA X3 might be a good staring point. Maybe move the front to the rear and get shorter shocks for the front.

Front bumper could be taken off any of the current GT cars, for cost OFNA could be a good option. If you can make that work, the front body mounts will be part of the front bumper assemble. For the rear, you will need to make this wider than the wing mount. But maybe use and 1/8 scale 4wd rear body mount put on your wing mout. This will help support the body at the rear corners. Get the post towards the back of the car to help keep the flex down. Mounts that are in the wheel cut out line, will let the body diflect while running.

SNR makes a set of carbon shock towers that fit the MBX6, so a good starting point. I have a used set for $45 if your interested. Thought about doing a nitro conversion but got side tracked.

You will want to take the center gear box out of the car. Front and rear diffs, but have no Idea what fluid, but start with your off road settings and adjust from there as needed.
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com
Grenade10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:47 AM   #3360
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspeed View Post
Here’s an option you might consider, with it nobody will ever confuse your car from being a truck again.

Good luck & have fun!
Hi there!

I was thinking of going back on track. Hence switched my Audi to Warrior. I think it looks sweet (after cleaning). Tekin 2650kv combo.

Happy midsummer from Finland! Nightless night.