R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-13-2011, 10:53 AM   #2026
Tech Master
 
FangsCPO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chula Vista, CA
Posts: 1,080
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayrace24 View Post
I don't know much about the organization running the event on the 18th, but alot of those guys racing are dads, who are expected to spend some quality time with the family on Fathers Day. Any chance of racing on the 17h instead?

Clay
It's actually on the 19th. As a Dad myself, this is quality time and where I would want to spend my Father's Day. Just my .02.
__________________
Losi 5ive-T - OBR G320RC "Reed" 31.5cc Full Mod
Losi 5ive-T - "2WD PRO2" OBR G290RC 30.5cc Full Mod
Losi 5ive-B - OBR G320RC 31.5cc Full Mod
OBR/TR Core Team Driver
TLR Team Driver
FangsCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:58 AM   #2027
Tech Addict
 
SNR Graphite's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 586
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspeed View Post
Nice paint!

That is a great find because you can't get it anymore. I was the only one running it until now.
SNR Graphite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #2028
Tech Master
 
simplechamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,315
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

They have another one of the Porsche at that LHS (Graves RC, Orlando) with a pink, green, and white paint scheme. I can take pics if anyone is interested.
__________________
Serpent 811Be - Jammin X2 Carbon e-GT conversion - Axial SCX10 Honcho
simplechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:27 PM   #2029
Tech Fanatic
 
whipnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 994
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post
They have another one of the Porsche at that LHS (Graves RC, Orlando) with a pink, green, and white paint scheme. I can take pics if anyone is interested.
Graves is where I picked up the Viper, they must have bought a lot of GT lids.

*
__________________
Beat Your RC Like It Owes You Money!!
http://www.RCCOH.com
whipnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #2030
Tech Master
 
simplechamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,315
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

I just happened to see the 3 hanging on the wall: the one I bought, the other Porsche, and a Viper painted black with a snake scales and eyes paint scheme at the front. It looks pretty cool, just not really my style.

Surprised they have the selection of GT bodies they do. When I went to Kissimmee Raceway I was the only one with a GT, and everyone I talked to said they didn't really know anyone else who ran them.
__________________
Serpent 811Be - Jammin X2 Carbon e-GT conversion - Axial SCX10 Honcho
simplechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:55 PM   #2031
Tech Master
 
simplechamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,315
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

I had an idea today. What do you guys think about replacing the rear chassis brace with a shock absorber? Like if you used a very firm spring, small hole piston, and heavy oil (diff oil?). The idea being to allow more flex and make it tunable.

Do you think it would be too weak and allow the chassis to get bent? Or in my case with a CF chassis, broken? Would the added flex even be beneficial, or is it better to have a stiffer chassis?
__________________
Serpent 811Be - Jammin X2 Carbon e-GT conversion - Axial SCX10 Honcho
simplechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:51 PM   #2032
Tech Fanatic
 
whipnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 994
Default

There is not a GT body in any hobby shop in Houston... and probably never was.

*
__________________
Beat Your RC Like It Owes You Money!!
http://www.RCCOH.com
whipnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:22 PM   #2033
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: On the SNAPON TRUCK
Posts: 171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post
I had an idea today. What do you guys think about replacing the rear chassis brace with a shock absorber? Like if you used a very firm spring, small hole piston, and heavy oil (diff oil?). The idea being to allow more flex and make it tunable.

Do you think it would be too weak and allow the chassis to get bent? Or in my case with a CF chassis, broken? Would the added flex even be beneficial, or is it better to have a stiffer chassis?
I was thinking about the samething,but coulding find a spring stiff enough to even match the stock plastic brace..........
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #2034
Tech Master
 
TwoTone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,002
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Need a little help please.

I'm new to 1/8, not RC. Looking to pick up a Ofna GTP 2 E for my son and I to play around with.

I would like to ask advice on electronics, ESC, Motor and servo. Not looking for race grade, but not cheap crap either. Any recommendations?

Thanks
TwoTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #2035
Tech Master
 
simplechamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,315
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joat View Post
I was thinking about the samething,but coulding find a spring stiff enough to even match the stock plastic brace..........
The way I'm picturing it, the shock might not even need a spring? I mean, the chassis is already wanting to return to it's normal shape after flexing (to a point of course), it acts like a heavy spring. Using a real thick diff oil (10k wt? 50-10k?) in the shock should allow (relatively) slow and small flex movements like in high speed cornering, but prevent the chassis from flexing too far, too fast like in a crash. Basically taking the damping effect of a shock absorber and making it extreme.

Of course, this is just my theory, how it behaves may very well be totally different. I have a few of the older style Ofna 13mm shocks laying around, might experiment with them a bit and see how they behave.
__________________
Serpent 811Be - Jammin X2 Carbon e-GT conversion - Axial SCX10 Honcho
simplechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:26 PM   #2036
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: On the SNAPON TRUCK
Posts: 171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post
The way I'm picturing it, the shock might not even need a spring? I mean, the chassis is already wanting to return to it's normal shape after flexing (to a point of course), it acts like a heavy spring. Using a real thick diff oil (10k wt? 50-10k?) in the shock should allow (relatively) slow and small flex movements like in high speed cornering, but prevent the chassis from flexing too far, too fast like in a crash. Basically taking the damping effect of a shock absorber and making it extreme.

Of course, this is just my theory, how it behaves may very well be totally different. I have a few of the older style Ofna 13mm shocks laying around, might experiment with them a bit and see how they behave.
I was thinking spring since without any support the chassis is gonna flex alot, carbon and 4mm not as much as the stocker,I think with the carbon one you could probably get away with a shock body only.
I think using the traxxas mod in the shock might be even a good idea, at least you control the return or compression?
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:58 PM   #2037
Tech Regular
 
kcunamay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 392
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Since that part of the chassis isn't a pivot point, Like say a pan car. IMHO the effect of the shock would be negligible. The chassis will flex there, but how much would it have to flex in order for the rebound of the shock (w/o a spring) to do anything? To try it, I believe the weight would be like 500k diff oil or something similar. There's f/r flex as well as side to side (twist).

I think an easier test is to remove the rear brace and drive it. Note the handling characteristics and see if it's better or worse.

I've never tried it, but it'd be interesting to hear your results. Good luck!
__________________
Jai Cunamay - Racing 1 class sucks.
kcunamay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:10 AM   #2038
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: On the SNAPON TRUCK
Posts: 171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcunamay View Post
Since that part of the chassis isn't a pivot point, Like say a pan car. IMHO the effect of the shock would be negligible. The chassis will flex there, but how much would it have to flex in order for the rebound of the shock (w/o a spring) to do anything? To try it, I believe the weight would be like 500k diff oil or something similar. There's f/r flex as well as side to side (twist).

I think an easier test is to remove the rear brace and drive it. Note the handling characteristics and see if it's better or worse.

I've never tried it, but it'd be interesting to hear your results. Good luck!
I tried it when I had the stock blue chassis and was nitro powered, I suck as a driver, but I did notice that the car seemed to have a lot less control when hitting a quick left to right transition? and I know when braking hard the rear tires would skip,but that is back in the day tires have come along way, I was using medial tarmac 2's
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:03 AM   #2039
Tech Regular
 
Mark the Hammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 351
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
Need a little help please.

I'm new to 1/8, not RC. Looking to pick up a Ofna GTP 2 E for my son and I to play around with.

I would like to ask advice on electronics, ESC, Motor and servo. Not looking for race grade, but not cheap crap either. Any recommendations?

Thanks
Cheap price would be the hobby wing. Alot of guys are using the castle system or the Tekin.
__________________
MUGEN RACING
M.A.D. Racing products
TC Hobby's
Mark the Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:09 AM   #2040
Tech Fanatic
 
whipnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 994
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
Need a little help please.

I'm new to 1/8, not RC. Looking to pick up a Ofna GTP 2 E for my son and I to play around with.

I would like to ask advice on electronics, ESC, Motor and servo. Not looking for race grade, but not cheap crap either. Any recommendations?

Thanks
I use a Tekin setup for electronics and ACE servo.

Here is my converted OFNA DM-1 Spec with parts listed if it helps.

http://www.rccoh.com/rc.how-to/dm-1....onversion.html

*
__________________
Beat Your RC Like It Owes You Money!!
http://www.RCCOH.com
whipnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GT class--buggy-based on road! duneland Nitro On-Road 9643 11-16-2016 03:11 AM
SS Raceway in Tampa Rojna Florida Racing 5042 07-15-2014 12:03 AM
Looking for 1/10 Electric Racers on the New Asphalt at Mikes, Houston John Stranahan Texas Racing 495 10-08-2010 03:55 PM
2008 BLUE DIAMOND/G FORCE ONOAD SCENE spurcheck Racing Forum 1772 04-16-2009 09:39 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:35 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net