R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #1996
Tech Rookie

Hey guys, I just converted my ofna LX1E to a gtp8. I got to run it once in a big parking lot and I noticed that the front end looked like it was lifting up and the front wheels seemed to just be spinning with hardly ant traction, What have some people done to remedy this problem? Add a weight? or do something to the rear shocks? It also didnt seem as fast as I thought it would go, Im running hobbywing 80A-2250kv combo with 14t/51t. would it be ok to go up 17t/51t?
Old 06-07-2011, 05:53 PM   #1997
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stikup artist View Post
Hey guys, I just converted my ofna LX1E to a gtp8. I got to run it once in a big parking lot and I noticed that the front end looked like it was lifting up and the front wheels seemed to just be spinning with hardly ant traction, What have some people done to remedy this problem? Add a weight? or do something to the rear shocks? It also didnt seem as fast as I thought it would go, Im running hobbywing 80A-2250kv combo with 14t/51t. would it be ok to go up 17t/51t?
Try heavier weight diff fluid in the center diff. I started out with 100k weight. I'm now at 30k and like it very much.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:49 PM   #1998
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcunamay View Post
Hi Clay,

You're right on about how free the tranny is on the LOSI. It really is super smooth. It helps in pretty much every aspect of driving. Acceleration, top end, corner speed, braking and run time. The difference was very apparent to me when I swtched from my original GT8 car. Faster and runs longer. The Carbon fiber chassis is from Robert of Matrix Concepts, the shock towers are from Losi. They indeed help reduce the weight of these monsters, but surely aren't a requirement to be fast. Tony is ballistic as well as my cousin Eric with his conversion. I believe Tony runs a tekno rc conversion and my cuz has my exact setup w/o the C/F. Both are REALLY fast guys!

FYI - SNR, Steve D and Omar all run Castle 1/10scale ESC's to power their 2650kv buggy/truggy sized motors. It works well for them.

The Ten T Buggy would make an awesome conversion as well. Aside from the other things you mentioned, you might even be able to run a 3s pack vs 4s, reducing the weight/cost even more.

I saw a posting on REDRC of a conversion for the Traxxas 4X4 Slash made by STRC. It looks great!!! It uses the smaller ESC and 550sized motor as you mentioned and looking at the pics, it also has a 3s battery. I bet it's also the most cost effective way to get into GT8. Tires would probably last even longer as well. I believe Raman saw it in action at West Coast and he said it was good to go. I bet this would be even lighter than the Ten T. HMMMMMMMM, I have a Slash 4X4 PE sitting on the shelf.

Hope to see you in Corona!

Jai
i am a big losi guy as u can see in my sig the only issue is the tenT/scte/810 has an issue with parts availability at the present time although i can tell u my scte can withhold the strength of an 300+ lbs guy jumping on it as a marshall did this at my local indoor track critters...so it is lighter but also strong as hell
btw u ever see rcMonster mike's conversions>>>drove my friends as it still has a 2-speed...will waste the gas cars in speed!!!
http://rc-monster.com/proddetail.php?prod=rcmigtkit
Old 06-07-2011, 07:31 PM   #1999
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Quote:

For springs I went with RC4LESS's Short Springs for the Losi. They are shorter than the shortest Losi springs, and do not put a bunch of preload on the shocks in order to get the desired ride height. Not to mention they are a perfect fit and work awesome! Also mounted are Titanium shock screws and the Stands.

I haven't had any issue's with these spring and I don't have a bunch of preload because they are for the Late Model and are a shorter than front buggy springs and are thicker than the buggy springs. Right now I have about 3/16" from the shock collar to the top of the shock body and it looks like they are only .1" longer than the RC4Less springs.

BUT I would have liked spending a dollar more for the RC4Less and getting 3 extra pairs of springs. I know where to get them now..... THANKS

I will have to say that outta all my GT8's the Losi is my Favorite but that might have to do with the PMT's.
GTPe-RX8-Neu 1515/1D | DM-1Se-RX8-Plettenburg MAXX | Losi GT8e-RX8-Hacker C50-9L |X1 CRT Pro-MMM-CC1717 | SCRT10-RX8-Hacker CMaxx | MHyperSte-RSpro-LMT XL4200 | TC5-RSpro-LRP 4.5 | TC3-RSpro-LRP 10.5 | B44-R1pro-Tekin 268
Just to name a few!!!
-TC5racer- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:37 PM   #2000
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Try heavier weight diff fluid in the center diff. I started out with 100k weight. I'm now at 30k and like it very much.
That would help solve the front tire lifting problem?
Old 06-07-2011, 11:19 PM   #2001
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
From what I read in the description, it sounded to me like the center diff was unloading all of the power to the front wheels when taking off from a dead start. When you punch it from a dead start, does the rear of the car squat with the rear tires barely moving, whilst the front lifts and spin the tires like crazy even ballooning? If so, heavier center diff oil will eliminate that for sure. What weight oil do you currently have in the center diff?

For your speed issue, try the 17 tooth pinion, run it and then temp the motor. I believe most try to stay within th 165 range for temps to be safe. Gear up or down according to the temps you feel comfortable with.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:40 AM   #2002
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Check to see if you even have fluid in it. Some of the ofna cars just use grease..
Mark the Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:12 PM   #2003
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

What tires are you guys running for corona? I've got sweep 45's but it seems to be loose. I see quite a few prefer the PMT's. What about the sweep 50's or Alpha's?
markw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #2004
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

It PMT or go home last.
SNR Graphite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:00 PM   #2005
Tech Elite

Midwest Series race #2 last weekend in Portage, Indiana
Congrats guys!
Attached Thumbnails
GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!-midwest-series-race-2-gt-podium-2011.jpg  
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:05 PM   #2006
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNR Graphite View Post
It PMT or go home last.
That's no problem as long as fangs is there. We'll battle for last.

Mark
Old 06-08-2011, 08:06 PM   #2007
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Looks were gonna have to hold an intervention guys.. Jais been dipping into the crack jar again
Old 06-08-2011, 10:27 PM   #2008
Tech Regular

He may have his work cut out for him..If I some one That I know comes out it may be a ruff day at the top.. Sunday the 19th will be fun..
Old 06-08-2011, 11:23 PM   #2009
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark the Hammer View Post
He may have his work cut out for him..If I some one That I know comes out it may be a ruff day at the top.. Sunday the 19th will be fun..
We need to get Ken to go.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:21 AM   #2010
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw View Post
We need to get Ken to go.
Not on fathers day.. Maybe next month..