R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-14-2011, 11:31 PM   #1606
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missle View Post
But yes the single point of stopping power is motor to spur, put if either the front or rear locks, the force is transferred to the other.
An easier way to show the effects of the electric brake vs mechanical brakes with bias is to have 2 cars equipped with each. Have both cars moving and then hit the brakes. On my nitro equipped car the rear tires will LOCK before the fronts do as I have the bias setup that way. On my GT8E front and rear lock simultaneously if enough brake force is applied because equal amounts of brake force are going to the center diff. I believe the diff action for the center is more relevant during acceleration and when on power. During braking, I don't believe there to be as much.

Quote:
In other words, there is NEVER lockup (unless I slam on the brakes) which means I have total steering into, mid and coming out of the corner. This was the key element that the "local pro's" were teaching me. Not saying one way is better than the other, but just trying to add another option.
If it works for you, great. Thats what its about. I'm not trying to convince you either way but rather providing info as well.

Quote:
"With a free setup...you can brake while going straight..." but that's the same as using the drag brake except you don't have to move the throttle to the brake end of travel and you can actually ride the power better during the curve cause your trottle finer is slightly on power instead of pushing forway on the brakes.
With the drag brakes on, the braking force causes the weight transfer to be placed on the front wheels (giving more steering grip) going into the turn, power is added to the point just before the back wheels spin out.
But then again, I could be totally lost and doing it all the wrong way. That's why I'm asking and discussing
Again, it's all about driving style and preference. It is not the same. My driving style isn't brake then jump on the throttle. There are corners where I brake-roll in neutral and then roll onto the throttle. There is no neutral with drag brake on. You're either slowing down or speeding up.

Your statement is true, In that braking force causes the weight to transfer to the front wheels. AKA, when I hit the brakes while going straight, the weight shifts to the front wheels, I enter the turn, roll though and then accelerate out. With the drag brakes on, weight does shift initially when you let off the throttle, but then there comes a point where the car settles and the drag brakes are just slowing the car down.

You can do the simulation of both yourself with drag brake on and off. DRAG BRAKE ON - Get the car rolling let off of the throttle and turn. Do the test again with the drag brake off, get the car rolling, brake while going straight (shifting weight to the front tires) let off and turn. Note which one will carry more corner speed. I'm certain you'll see it's with the drag brake off.

I am no "pro" either and like you just stating what I have experienced. I could be talking out of my ass as well My experience on the track and lap times tell me I am faster with them off.

Very cool to have a positive discussion on here! I hope your local GT8E program thrives. Ours is just getting started and is SOOOOOO much fun. Best of luck to you.

Last edited by kcunamay; 04-15-2011 at 12:35 AM.
kcunamay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:47 AM   #1607
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FangsCPO View Post
I was told to run initially 500k but it was basically locking up the center diff and I wanted to use mechanical brakes. So now I'm running 100k.
I check last night, I'm actually running 50K in the center diff and my backup diff is 100K.
OBR/TR Core Team Driver
TLR Team Driver
FangsCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:14 AM   #1608

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to snrscion Send a message via Yahoo to snrscion

Here a video of Yesterday race at OC Circuit in Corona, Ca

http://www.snrgraphite.com/index.php...=index&cPath=3

Steve
snrscion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #1609
Tech Master

Here's another video of the GT8s at Corona yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sYSejFrPjg
OBR/TR Core Team Driver
TLR Team Driver
Old 04-18-2011, 11:10 AM   #1610
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Nice Race.
snellemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:11 AM   #1611
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Damn Steve, you went dark for a couple of races and came out and kicked everyone's butt..

Have no worries, I'm gearing up for May.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:56 PM   #1612
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrscion View Post
Here a video of Yesterday race at OC Circuit in Corona, Ca

http://www.snrgraphite.com/index.php...=index&cPath=3

Steve
Thanks for sharing the video!

Great running with you again brother. You were ready!!! The first 2 heats you lapped all of us by 2 laps! lol. I'm glad in the main I was able to provide you with some comp. The PMT's proved to be the better combo yesterday by 2 sec a lap. I look forward to the next round. We should be able to battle the whole day vs just in the main.

Jerry, sorry about the fire. I hope you were able to salvage most of the car. LMK what burnt up. I may be able to help.

Steve in SD, the warrior body looked great! What did you notice as far as performance differences between it and the PF-8? Mine is still with CFX. I can't wait to use it on the track.

Jai
Old 04-19-2011, 01:30 AM   #1613

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to snrscion Send a message via Yahoo to snrscion

Yeah Jai that was a lot of fun nice race in the main.

Steve SD it was nice meeting you even if you have the wrong shock tower.
snrscion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:37 AM   #1614
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrscion View Post
Yeah Jai that was a lot of fun nice race in the main.

Steve SD it was nice meeting you even if you have the wrong shock tower.
OBR/TR Core Team Driver
TLR Team Driver
Old 04-19-2011, 08:46 AM   #1615
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcunamay View Post
Steve in SD, the warrior body looked great! What did you notice as far as performance differences between it and the PF-8? Mine is still with CFX. I can't wait to use it on the track.

Jai
Thanks Jai!!! It really keeps my rig more planted to the ground. The last time I ran it, I didn't use the additional flap in the rear and adding that flap really made a difference. I think if I had my suspension adjust better for this larger track, it would have been a much smoother run for me. I really think, once you get yours and with your driving skills, you are going to make it a little harder for Steve N.

Get the bumper that's made to fit that body (Ipanema makes it), it will definitely save the front end of your lid then again with your skills, I don't see that being a problem. Looking forward to next month already.

Tell Jaiden, he got some skills but I got him this time. He shouldn't have flipped me over during practice. I was curious, was he able to collect his "store dollars", the hobby shop was closed by the time I got there?
OBR/TR Core Team Driver
TLR Team Driver
Old 04-19-2011, 12:09 PM   #1616
Tech Elite

Glad you're liking the Warrior on your car.

Our matching custom foam bumper works great too since it protects your body, chassis, reduces front end distortion at speed and blocks out most air build-up under the front of the car at the same time.

Good luck and thanks again!
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:01 PM   #1617
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb7979 View Post
Thanks for the help. I have not run mine yet, just finishing it up now. I was expecting to need a much stiffer setup than what you run. That is why I orderd the RC4Less spring kit, and the springs are much shorter than stock.

What are you running for diff fluid?

Thanks again.
Your stuff is slow, going to get its shit packed in by the ofna......

If only i had a picture of the rear of this car, thats all your gona see.

2011 Roar Nats 1/8th Open, 5th
2012 GLC 1/8th Open Q7 Finish 5th, 2013 GLC 1/8th Open Q4 Finish 7th
Vector03cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:30 PM   #1618
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FangsCPO View Post
Thanks Jai!!! It really keeps my rig more planted to the ground. The last time I ran it, I didn't use the additional flap in the rear and adding that flap really made a difference. I think if I had my suspension adjust better for this larger track, it would have been a much smoother run for me. I really think, once you get yours and with your driving skills, you are going to make it a little harder for Steve N.

Get the bumper that's made to fit that body (Ipanema makes it), it will definitely save the front end of your lid then again with your skills, I don't see that being a problem. Looking forward to next month already.

Tell Jaiden, he got some skills but I got him this time. He shouldn't have flipped me over during practice. I was curious, was he able to collect his "store dollars", the hobby shop was closed by the time I got there?
Thats good to hear bro. I experienced the same thing when I mounted the unpainted body on my car and drove it in my cul-de-sac. I found the car to be very neutral with more steering at the same time. I can't wait to run it during race conditions. 3rd sunday in May is gonna be a lot of fun. I also have the bumper in the event I have any durability testing episodes.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Like most of us "racers" I hope to get better and better each time out! Not too shabby for racing one sunday a month eh?

Jaiden had a blast! I think he was able to finish behind you with my daughter Leslie in 3rd. They both need more drive time. They get sooo excited around other cars and drag race, totally fogetting about the upcoming turn. hahahaha! I remember those days!

I've earned so many track bucks that I've yet to collect due to the store closing during racing. I've tried to retro them in the past with a printout of the results, but was told to kick rocks. hahahaha. Oh well. But no, we were unable to get them on Sun either.

See you in a month, unless you'll be doing the enduro.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:36 PM   #1619
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Some pics of the Toledo track and a yellow Electric GT car making some laps

This past weekends club race #1 was cancled due to 30mph winds and cold temps. (in the 40's) About 20 of us came out to play, or atleast check it out. We got some test-n-tune time in along with a club meeting so it was not all lost. The track looks good and the 1/8 scale class looks to be making a bit of a come back this year so come on out and join the fun!!

Here are a few pictures from this weekend.

Dasmopar trying to find some grip.

Vector03cobra breaking in a new engine.

one of the new for this season Electric GT cars that will be racing this season on Saturdays. Rumor has it this car was clocked at 54mph in a hallway.

One of our newest members trying to shake off 10yrs of rust. Joe From Canada I think?

Dasmopar Dad getting ready to hit the track.

a view of the track

We plan on having atleast open practice on saturday before easter and maybe some Electric racing. Stop on out and check us out!
2011 Roar Nats 1/8th Open, 5th
2012 GLC 1/8th Open Q7 Finish 5th, 2013 GLC 1/8th Open Q4 Finish 7th

Last edited by Vector03cobra; 04-20-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Vector03cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:16 AM   #1620
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Steve, is the much less expensive Ofna GTE you ran, much lighter? How did it handle compared to the DM-1?
williamw is offline   Reply With Quote