R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Soldering fumes. *lead* (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/41180-soldering-fumes-%2Alead%2A.html)

fatdoggy 05-23-2004 02:28 PM

Soldering fumes. *lead*

What are the fumes from? Is it from the flux or is it from the lead? Anybody here had side effects from working with solder containing lead? Any solder that works well that doesn't contain lead?

NVisible 05-23-2004 02:32 PM

if you expose yourself to alot of it you can get temp shakiness, which can lead to parkinsons. not a good thing

WC 05-23-2004 04:00 PM

Fumes mainly from the resin flux. The metal itself is mostly tin and not much lead (pure lead is darker grey, not light silver).

Average iron is not hot enough to vaporise lead, think you need 1300degC+ to do that.

However lead can rub off on your fingers and you an ingest it by rubbing your eyes/nose/mouth or eat something afterwards before washing your hands.

Lead damage is probably worse during your formative years (hmm I soldered a lot whilst kiddy... figures!! :lol: ). So maybe kiddies shouldn't be soldering.

Even if its not lead, fumes can't be great for you. I just plug in a fan to blow a faint crosswind to carry the smoke away.

howard hudson 05-23-2004 05:03 PM

effects

I have been soldering for about 30 some years and I have no problems......... but can some tell me where this third eye came from:weird: :weird: :weird: :weird: :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

popsracer 05-23-2004 05:23 PM

Soldering fumes. *lead*

Guys;

According to the State of CA, EVERYTHING causes Cancer.

Just think about all of the health hazards that we are being exposed to on a daily basis without even realizing it.

Common sense goes a long way in Life. Failing that, try reading the directions. :D

=MisFitz= NuKe 05-23-2004 06:57 PM

well, one of the guys that races with me, that was in an electronics class at school said that a guy in his class sniffed the fumes (probably a crack addict, and thought he would get a fix), and my racer friend said that he threw up, like noone has thrown up before....

rough512 05-23-2004 07:09 PM

prolonged exposure to the fumes gives me headache. even my housemates complain of this so I can't do any soldering at home
:(

Just try to avoid the fumes and do the soldering on a well ventilated area.

WC 05-23-2004 07:18 PM

Re: Soldering fumes. *lead*

Originally posted by popsracer
According to the State of CA, EVERYTHING causes Cancer.
Yep. I think it has something to do with living in Cali...??! :lol:

You'd think if everyone knew everything's carcinogenic there, you'd either (1) move somewhere else or (2) stop blaming nature & start blaming the lawyers. :D Or do lawyers themselves prefer somewhere safer than living atop a tectonic fault line??? :sneaky:

popsracer 05-23-2004 07:28 PM

Re: Re: Soldering fumes. *lead*

Originally posted by WC

Yep. I think it has something to do with living in Cali...??! :lol:
Live dangerously, Die with a smile on your face. :D

Earthquakes are nothing, beats running from Tornados any day. :lol:

SMACKMASTER 05-23-2004 07:46 PM

Originally posted by rough512
prolonged exposure to the fumes gives me headache. even my housemates complain of this so I can't do any soldering at home
:(

Just try to avoid the fumes and do the soldering on a well ventilated area.

damn !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just look at his avitar:eek: THATS what happens when you inhale too many soldering fumes:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Soviet 05-23-2004 07:50 PM

I've noticed that when I solder and forget to turn my exhaust fan up high, I tend to get a little lumpy feeling in the back of my throat, hand tremors and a general feeling of nausia.

So I then go outside...drink a glass of water and have a smoke...then all is well...

:D

rough512 05-23-2004 08:14 PM

Originally posted by SMACKMASTER
damn !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just look at his avitar:eek: THATS what happens when you inhale too many soldering fumes:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Grizzbob 05-23-2004 08:33 PM

Re: Re: Re: Soldering fumes. *lead*

Originally posted by popsracer
Live dangerously, Die with a smile on your face. :D

Earthquakes are nothing, beats running from Tornados any day. :lol:

Running from them???Ehhhh, it's just wind, most of the people in my neighborhood actually go out into the street if we think a tornado's nearby to look for it(guess it's a side effect of growing up in the middle of Tornado Alley, & in a small area where no tornado ever seems to have touched down).....:p

fatdoggy 05-23-2004 09:24 PM

Thanks for the info guys. :cool:

I'll just start washing my hands more often at the track. :D

=MisFitz= NuKe 05-23-2004 10:06 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Soldering fumes. *lead*

Originally posted by Grizzbob
Running from them???Ehhhh, it's just wind, most of the people in my neighborhood actually go out into the street if we think a tornado's nearby to look for it(guess it's a side effect of growing up in the middle of Tornado Alley, & in a small area where no tornado ever seems to have touched down).....:p
ahhhh....no tornadoes, no earthquakes, hurricanes dont reach into this part, damn that is sweeee....oh wait, it only gets up to 110 with 85-90%humidity....boy does it make for some strange racing conditions when the track tem is about 160.