R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 11-29-2016, 12:48 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: USGT
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: jlfx car audio
USIC USGT 2016 Motor and Chassis list

TQ A.F. TSR A800
2nd D.J. TeamPowers A800
3rd B.S. TSR A800
4th M.L. TSR A800
5th M.F TeamPowers A800
6th D.J TSR Destiny
7th J.W. Trinity Monster '17 Xray
8th C.V TSR Destiny
9 A.C. TSR A700
10 B.K. R1 v15 A700
13 J.L. TSR A800
14 M.L. TSR Destiny
18 R.C. TSR T4
20 S.J. TSR Destiny
22 E.S. motiv T4
26 P.D. TSR Destiny
30 V.P. Reedy M3 serpent 3.0
35 Y.B. Fantom A800
38 R.C. TSR A800
40 W.S. Reedy
43 Motiv xray
46 Motiv Xray

Print Wikipost

Old 08-25-2013, 08:09 AM   #1216
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

HK X-Car ESCs are great. They do accept HW firmware and PC tunable software with boost and turbo. Although most indoor classes are blinky only. We run a 17.5 sedan class on a large outdoor asphalt track with boost and turbo.

HK offers a usb/esc pc link(~$4.00) so no tuning card is required. That link works on my HW ESCs as well.

Some tracks/classes will not allow the Trackstar motors as they are not ROAR approved. They were banned from F1 last winter locally because they seemed to have a performance advantage as the usual winner ran one in his car.

^^^ <>< ^^^
rcwck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #1217
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwck View Post
HK X-Car ESCs are great. They do accept HW firmware and PC tunable software with boost and turbo. Although most indoor classes are blinky only. We run a 17.5 sedan class on a large outdoor asphalt track with boost and turbo.

HK offers a usb/esc pc link(~$4.00) so no tuning card is required. That link works on my HW ESCs as well.

Some tracks/classes will not allow the Trackstar motors as they are not ROAR approved. They were banned from F1 last winter locally because they seemed to have a performance advantage as the usual winner ran one in his car.
I bought 3 motors from Hobby King @ $40 each and find them to be on par with the Reedy 21.5 for double the price. Its about time that we are able to find a true BARGAIN in RC. I may be wrong but I don't think that the USGT rules say that the motor be ROAR approved. I will run the motor when it is legal and I will practice with it. I wont be able to use them at The Southern Nats or The Halloween Classic.
TWILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:18 PM   #1218
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

As of right now, I am going to change the rule on motors to ROAR approved. This is mostly because I have been hearing of situations where people are using or planning on using "outlaw" type motors which are advertised a bigger wires, etc. I don't mean to pick on anyone who is using budget motors, but at this point I want to try to cut off any problems before they become bigger.

I am also aware of the current ROAR approval backlog. There may be consideration of allowing motors on a case by case basis, but I don't want to make any decisions there until I can get enough information on what is happening

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:21 PM   #1219
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

(glad I didn't order that Turnigy Trackstar 21.5)

USVTA member #111
NutDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:49 PM   #1220
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
As of right now, I am going to change the rule on motors to ROAR approved. This is mostly because I have been hearing of situations where people are using or planning on using "outlaw" type motors which are advertised a bigger wires, etc. I don't mean to pick on anyone who is using budget motors, but at this point I want to try to cut off any problems before they become bigger.

I am also aware of the current ROAR approval backlog. There may be consideration of allowing motors on a case by case basis, but I don't want to make any decisions there until I can get enough information on what is happening

thx...
January 21, 2017 Thunder RC Raceway
http://events.rcsignup.com/events/displayEvent.cfm?id=5313
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:50 PM   #1221
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Well hopefully this will clear up in next 2 weeks or I'm going to need someone to by a motor for me .
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #1222
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfx car audio View Post
Well hopefully this will clear up in next 2 weeks or I'm going to need someone to by a motor for me .

I wouldn't worry to much...this is just to try and keep it as fair and legal as possible....
Old 08-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #1223
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default This is a GOOD thing.

Quote:

To me the beauty of VTA and USGT is the structure. "If its not in the rules, its NOT legal". I have 3 or 4 roar legal 21.5 motors that I will be using for USGT and a Novak 25.5 for VTA. The rule change will make things easy....Thanks Rob
TWILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #1224
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post

I wouldn't worry to much...this is just to try and keep it as fair and legal as possible....
MAYBE THE REVTECH & NOVAK VULCAN 21.5 IS IN THE BACKLOG
starrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #1225
Tech Elite

I'm sure but what about the lrp x12 ? That motor has been out for several yrs and its never been roar approved .
Old 08-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #1226
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:

I was putting a car together to run in this class and use my cheap trakstar 21.5's . But now I wont bother , if your going ROAR approved only I might as well stay in 17.5 blinky
mikpiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #1227
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikpiz View Post
I was putting a car together to run in this class and use my cheap trakstar 21.5's . But now I wont bother , if your going ROAR approved only I might as well stay in 17.5 blinky
there maybe or not of an issue at your track...but it will come a time when "outlaw" motors will get to the point of 17.5's...and how fair will it be

the original rules didn't say ROAR, so any 21.5 would be legal...so what happens to the guys running true 21.5's...are they just left behind....or do we look for a structure to help complete the class...

USGT is still plenty of open to a lot of mgr...but having an open ROAR 21.5 is a lot better than the guess work...

I hope this doesn't completely turn you off of a great and fun class...but I see it as very needed to keep the playing field as close as possible
Old 08-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #1228
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

When we started this there were not a lot of 21.5 motors being approved by ROAR. The only 21.5 class was actually ROAR Trans AM, so it would have limited the motors You had your choice of Novak, Trinity Pulse or the Tekin. So it was left open. Now ROAR lists 29 motors.

I don't have the resources to test 29 motors, or the many others out there. I also don't want everyone to have to buy a new motor because oversize wire 21.5 motors are legal. Beyond that, "questionable" motors are going to be a source of controversy and problems. I have already seen it in other classes where somebody goes fast with an unapproved motor. Now is it the motor? Who knows, but someone will be mad.

I know somebody will be upset with any decision like this but I'm trying to do what will be the most fair for the largest amount of people.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:20 AM   #1229
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Then you should limit motor choice like VTA , I enjoy VTA racing because I know I am not getting beat by the latest and greatest motor of the week that I cant afford to buy , when I lose in VTA I ( kinda - if somebody is cheating in VTA there just a pathetic human being and I feel sorry for them ) know its totally my fault ! And I like it like that . So when you say lets go with the 29 ROAR approved motors only , and outlaw the $32 fast cheap motor - that anyone could buy , the feeling I start to get is , this is just going to be a slower 17.5 class with cooler looking bodies. If you really want to keep it fair pick 3 motors , ie Thunderpower , Tekin , and Novak ( or whoever is most popular this year ) and say these are the only leagal motors for the 2013-14 season . and then we wopuldn't have to be worried about motor wars .
mikpiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:37 AM   #1230
Tech Elite

Very true . I would buy into that 3-5 motor ruleing or even 1 motor ....
How about the track star 21.5 can we just make that the motor for the class ? Thus way it can be a hand out motor at big races ... 35-40 motor I Han handle buying those