Like Tree6280Likes

USGT

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-12-2017, 12:28 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: USGT
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: DARKSIDE
USIC USGT 2016 Motor and Chassis list in qualifing order

TQ A.F. TSR A800
2nd D.J. TeamPowers A800
3rd B.S. TSR A800
4th M.L. TSR A800
5th M.F TeamPowers A800
6th D.J TSR Destiny
7th J.W. Trinity Monster '17 Xray
8th C.V TSR Destiny
9 A.C. TSR A700
10 B.K. R1 v15 A700
13 J.L. TSR A800
14 M.L. TSR Destiny
16 J.M. TSR. 15 Xray
18 R.C. TSR T4
19 M.K. Reedy Powered M3 AE TC7
20 S.J. TSR Destiny
22 E.S. motiv T4
26 P.D. TSR Destiny
30 V.P. Reedy M3 serpent 3.0
35 Y.B. Fantom A800
38 R.C. TSR A800
40 W.S. Reedy
43 Motiv xray
46 Motiv Xray

Print Wikipost

Old 08-10-2013, 10:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

So you're saying it's the motor? I may need to get a fan for it then.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:28 AM
Tech Addict

I came to this thread to see if there was any discussion about what bodies are legal and what bodies are people using and whoa boy, is it ever being discussed...

Originally Posted by Ropes
Come on, guys. Is it really necessary to ask for help deciding if a body is legal for the class? The answer should be in the name of the class itself, USGT. Not USRally, USHillClimb, USOffRoad, or USRecordBreakingGroundSpeedSetter.

I think, and it's just my opinion, that if you wouldn't see that body in the any of the Grand-AM Rolex or Continental Tire Series, keep in mind that the Daytona Prototypes have already been ruled out if I recall correctly, then it's probably not in the scope of the class.

Please don't stop sharing your pictures of your favorite cars and paint jobs...but the application of common sense goes a long way with the patience of many. I rarely make a post of opinion so don't take this as a bash in anyone's particular direction.

I love this class...it's fun to race and it's fun to watch. But the thing I love the most is that someone finally made "good use" of all the body shells that HPI, Tamiya, ProtoForm and the others were making, that weren't ROAR approved, and bring them into the spotlight. Let's not dillute that with other specific racing class inspired cars.
The problem with the above is that the rules say this:

Body Specifications:
Any 190mm or 200mm body. Body can be any body that is NOT on the ROAR T2 body list. FWD encouraged to use FWD bodies However, Can AM or IMSA style bodies, similar to 1/12 or 1/8 bodies are also discouraged NO Trucks
Any "SCALE" molded wings can be used. Lexan wings 10mm maximum height / side dam height
Scale type race liveries encouraged
Therein lies the problem. Using the word "discouraged" carries no legal weight.

Whereas I might agree with the spirit of what Ropes is saying, which is exactly the spirit of the suggestions in the rules, until the rules are firmed up, we're going to have this kind of discussion over and over and over...
Old 08-16-2013, 08:38 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
this is what was legal last year at the Southern Nats....

USGT,
GT style bodies ONLY, No LMR or any similar types( no big 12th scale bodies ), NO SLICKS. IFMAR starts for qual, and 8 min A-main
What about this year?

I didn't see this "addendum" listed in your Notes section of the Southern Nationals thread?
Old 08-16-2013, 09:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by .crispy
I came to this thread to see if there was any discussion about what bodies are legal and what bodies are people using and whoa boy, is it ever being discussed...

The problem with the above is that the rules say this:

Therein lies the problem. Using the word "discouraged" carries no legal weight.

Whereas I might agree with the spirit of what Ropes is saying, which is exactly the spirit of the suggestions in the rules, until the rules are firmed up, we're going to have this kind of discussion over and over and over...
Agreed, while most of us understand the "intent" and "spirit" of the body rule/clause and abide by it. I have seen on an occassion or two sedan bodies that never appeared on the ROAR list show up in the early RCGT days with the exact statement, "it's not on the ROAR list ". Dodge Stratus, AE Mazda, Losi come to mind off the bat.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:39 AM
Tech Addict

All they need to do is add something like:

"Body must a production 'touring car' that you can buy for personal use."

So whereas a McLaren or Zonda fits the bill (barely) the exotic racing cars that are named the same as a production car, would not be.

Simple. Done. No more issues.

FWIW, "Grand Touring" as in the GT part of USGT isn't even well defined or isn't consistent throughout all parts of the world. Originally "touring car" meant convertible.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DarthRacer
So you're saying it's the motor? I may need to get a fan for it then.
Yes you are going to want a fan with any motor you are running. The more you push your motor the hotter it gets. Also cooling it with a fan makes it last longer. I am not aware of any of the "fast guys" running without one. Only class I can see maybe not running a fan is USVTA but I still think most do it to help prolong motor life.

I would check out http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...hats-best.html
Old 08-16-2013, 10:09 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Travis S
Yes you are going to want a fan with any motor you are running. The more you push your motor the hotter it gets. Also cooling it with a fan makes it last longer. I am not aware of any of the "fast guys" running without one. Only class I can see maybe not running a fan is USVTA but I still think most do it to help prolong motor life.

I would check out http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...hats-best.html
OK. Thanks.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

this is such a funny group sometimes - you want a class that isn't allowed to use the POPULAR "FAST" touring bodies that EVERYONE Races at large races - so you leave the rules vague and call it GT

What most FAIL to see is a World Sports Car , Daytona Proto TYpe, LeMans Proto Type type body IS STILL GT (Just like the old G T P was )

So maybe consider another LETTER designation on your USGT class like USGT"O" (OPEN) , USGT "L" (Limited)

Add and Define the rules to be INCLUSIVE for those who have that "Special" interest.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

What is a typical FDR and motor timing setting for USGT?

I was doing some testing with my car last night and had it setup with an FDR near 4.0 like my VTA car and the motor got very hot. ESC temp was OK and set in blinky mode, no drag brake. Motor timing is set at the stock setting of 30 degrees. Battery is 30C 5000mAh. Car is an Xray T2 008.
What do you mean by 'hot'? What was the actual temp?

You may need to gear lower anyway. At 4.0 you might be over-reving so the motor never gets to slow down and breath.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MikeR
What do you mean by 'hot'? What was the actual temp?

You may need to gear lower anyway. At 4.0 you might be over-reving so the motor never gets to slow down and breath.
Hot was a toasty 170 degrees.

Two fixes I can see that I probably need are a fan, and drop a tooth or two on the pinion.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:16 PM
Tech Champion

Hot was a toasty 170 degrees.

Two fixes I can see that I probably need are a fan, and drop a tooth or two on the pinion.

170 is not bad at all. A good range is 165d so a fan or two as mentioned should get you there.

I would put on a bigger pinion and install a super capacitor set myself but that's just me
Old 08-16-2013, 02:24 PM
Tech Master

I got concerned when I could smell hot electronics when I took the car off the track. I'm used to seeing temps just over 100 in my vta car, but that car is a TC4 with the dual fan intake setup.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:27 PM
Tech Champion

I got concerned when I could smell hot electronics when I took the car off the track. I'm used to seeing temps just over 100 in my vta car, but that car is a TC4 with the dual fan intake setup.
We race in the hot Socal sun all day long. No concern until we get over 190d. When you get to 170d the motor just starts fading on power is all. All race worthy electronics of course.
Make sure you are temping inside the can vents- not just the outside surface.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What is a typical FDR and motor timing setting for USGT?

I was doing some testing with my car last night and had it setup with an FDR near 4.0 like my VTA car and the motor got very hot. ESC temp was OK and set in blinky mode, no drag brake. Motor timing is set at the stock setting of 30 degrees. Battery is 30C 5000mAh. Car is an Xray T2 008.
Those settings look good. I use a TP 21.5, 3.8fdr, 35 degrees can timing with 64mm tires. A good fan is a must. The best 30mm fans I have tested are the Yeh Racing on direct 2S or the R1 on bec power.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:51 AM
Tech Master

I just remembered that the YR motor comes with a fan which I found in it's box. I'm working on some custom fan mounts now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.