R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

    Hide Wikipost
Old 11-29-2016, 12:48 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: USGT
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: jlfx car audio
USIC USGT 2016 Motor and Chassis list

TQ A.F. TSR A800
2nd D.J. TeamPowers A800
3rd B.S. TSR A800
4th M.L. TSR A800
5th M.F TeamPowers A800
6th D.J TSR Destiny
7th J.W. Trinity Monster '17 Xray
8th C.V TSR Destiny
9 A.C. TSR A700
10 B.K. R1 v15 A700
11
12
13 J.L. TSR A800
14 M.L. TSR Destiny
15
16
17
18 R.C. TSR T4
19
20 S.J. TSR Destiny
21
22 E.S. motiv T4
23
24
25
26 P.D. TSR Destiny
27
28
29
30 V.P. Reedy M3 serpent 3.0
31
32
33
34
35 Y.B. Fantom A800
36
37
38 R.C. TSR A800
39
40 W.S. Reedy
41
42
43 Motiv xray
44
45
46 Motiv Xray
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55

Print Wikipost

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-05-2013, 07:33 AM   #931
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 574
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD007SUZUKI View Post
My xpattern d's do that. I tried the pro compound at the Us Nats at Summit, and they are way more consistent. I went back to the D's for the main and failed like a rock in the water. I also learned that you can run 26mm vta tires on all 4 corners. as gt rules state. "any treaded 26mm tires with any spoked rim" My buddy ran the 26m vta rubbers on all 4 corners and rocked the show in gt class. So i may try it.
Can you mount VTA tires on non VTA 26mm rims? I guess what I'm asking is are the VTA wheels similar in diameter as regular 1/10 scale rims?
napoleon1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:43 AM   #932
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Tornado Alley
Posts: 308
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by napoleon1981 View Post
Can you mount VTA tires on non VTA 26mm rims? I guess what I'm asking is are the VTA wheels similar in diameter as regular 1/10 scale rims?
Hey Leon! Steve here.

No the tires won't work on non VTA rims. Yes you can use the VTA rims and tires as they are similar in diameter. The outer rim is tucked up inside the tire to allow for the sidewall to show like a real Trans Am tire would look. The inner and outer diameters are nearly the same inside the tire so there isn't a lot of flex to the outer sidewall unless your glue comes loose! You actually get more gluing surface due to the sidewall. Be sure to scrape the chrome off the gluing area if you get chrome wheels.
nubie-wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #933
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 574
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Thanks Steve! Are you ready for the season yet ?
napoleon1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #934
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Tornado Alley
Posts: 308
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Working on it. I'm doing a frame up rebuild of my Sprint 2 with an Exotek chassis upgrade for my USGT car. The others are getting a tear down cleaning. I'll be racing spec TC as well as USGT and VTA. Not sure about NasTruck. Three classes keep me hopping as it is!

I think I'll be a better driver this year. I was starting to get around the track a lot better by the end of the season. I really appreciated your help!

See you in a few weeks!
nubie-wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #935
Tech Addict
 
Tommy R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 625
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Hey fellas, I've got some motor related questions I could use some help with...

I'm running a TC6 with a Thunder Power 21.5 motor. I started out running a ~3.2 FDR ratio with the motor timing at 30*. The car had loads of top end, but seemed a bit sluggish in the infield. I don't recall exact motor temps, but they were nothing alarming. Maybe 130F or so.

The following weekend I geared it down to a more conservative ~3.7 FDR and kept the motor timing at 30*. Much snappier acceleration, but the top speed was a bit lackluster (as you'd expect). Motor temps were mostly the same.

Last weekend I kept the gearing the same (3.7), but upped the timing to 45*. The car seemed much faster overall. I was pretty pleased with it.....'til I pulled it off the track and saw the 165* temps. And it had that "electronics aren't happy" smell, if you know what I mean. So I dropped the timing down to 35* for the rest of the day. However, the top end was marginal at best. I was barely (and I mean barely) faster than the brushed motor 27T class on the straight!

So here's my thought. I ordered a fan/heatsink for the motor to keep it happy so I can run higher timing. It was much faster in that configuration. But it got me thinking....

Does everyone in these "blinky" type classes always just max out the timing and then gear the motor 'til it runs cool enough? Or do some people run less timing, but taller gearing?
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #936
Tech Addict
 
alloyslash's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 538
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Personally I rarely jack my timing all the way up, I'll usually run a taller gear and less timing, but thats just me. I like to see temps at around 130-140, and with the D3.5 it seems that I have to run it like that. My Novak Ballistic 25.5 reacts well to the same too
__________________
Pemberton SJ27 / Tekin RS / Cooper D4SS 17.5 / EAM 5000 / Futaba 9551 / 17.5lm
Pemberton SJ27 / Tekin RS / Bullet 13.5 / EAM 5000 / Savox 1251 / 13.5 Pro EDM

TLR22 / Tekin RS / D4SS 6.5 / Futaba 9551 / ORCA 6000 /SCMOD,
F14 carpet Oval Chassis too!
alloyslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:52 AM   #937
Tech Addict
 
Tommy R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 625
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloyslash View Post
Personally I rarely jack my timing all the way up, I'll usually run a taller gear and less timing, but thats just me. I like to see temps at around 130-140, and with the D3.5 it seems that I have to run it like that. My Novak Ballistic 25.5 reacts well to the same too
Oh really? That's interesting. Perhaps I'm mistaken in my assumption that everyone just cranks their timing? I geared up for this weekend and kept the timing at ~35*. Will be curious to see how it performs.
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #938
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,117
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Hey fellas, I've got some motor related questions I could use some help with...

I'm running a TC6 with a Thunder Power 21.5 motor. I started out running a ~3.2 FDR ratio with the motor timing at 30*. The car had loads of top end, but seemed a bit sluggish in the infield. I don't recall exact motor temps, but they were nothing alarming. Maybe 130F or so.

The following weekend I geared it down to a more conservative ~3.7 FDR and kept the motor timing at 30*. Much snappier acceleration, but the top speed was a bit lackluster (as you'd expect). Motor temps were mostly the same.

Last weekend I kept the gearing the same (3.7), but upped the timing to 45*. The car seemed much faster overall. I was pretty pleased with it.....'til I pulled it off the track and saw the 165* temps. And it had that "electronics aren't happy" smell, if you know what I mean. So I dropped the timing down to 35* for the rest of the day. However, the top end was marginal at best. I was barely (and I mean barely) faster than the brushed motor 27T class on the straight!

So here's my thought. I ordered a fan/heatsink for the motor to keep it happy so I can run higher timing. It was much faster in that configuration. But it got me thinking....

Does everyone in these "blinky" type classes always just max out the timing and then gear the motor 'til it runs cool enough? Or do some people run less timing, but taller gearing?
165F is plenty cool for a 2S sedan...
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #939
Tech Elite
 
klaymon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 2,330
Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)
Default

Anyone running a Viper motor in this class? It looks like their KV rating is pretty low, but I thought I read they were good on torque?
klaymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #940
Tech Addict
 
Tommy R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 625
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL_71 View Post
165F is plenty cool for a 2S sedan...
Oh, really? I was just going on the mfg's documentation that said to "never" exceed 180F. I figured 165 (after pulling it off the track) would mean I'm getting dangerously close to the limit. You don't think it's anything to be concerned about? I'm willing to go back to it, but I have a fan on order and will run it either way (since I need ballast anyway).
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #941
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Winthrop harbor
Posts: 2,292
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD007SUZUKI View Post
My xpattern d's do that. I tried the pro compound at the Us Nats at Summit, and they are way more consistent. I went back to the D's for the main and failed like a rock in the water. I also learned that you can run 26mm vta tires on all 4 corners. as gt rules state. "any treaded 26mm tires with any spoked rim" My buddy ran the 26m vta rubbers on all 4 corners and rocked the show in gt class. So i may try it.
HPI4495's on Thunder Tiger 26mm rims are what was used by the winner,(built by his sister ), of the USGT class at Summit last weekend.
__________________
Team Novak,Gravity RC,
ercwhtsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #942
Tech Addict
 
alloyslash's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 538
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Oh, really? I was just going on the mfg's documentation that said to "never" exceed 180F. I figured 165 (after pulling it off the track) would mean I'm getting dangerously close to the limit. You don't think it's anything to be concerned about? I'm willing to go back to it, but I have a fan on order and will run it either way (since I need ballast anyway).
Ain't a chance of me running my motors "knowingly" past 160*. There is no need in running one that close to meltdown temps. As you said, the "electronics aren't happy" smell alone should tell you that its too high. With my Novak, as long as my timing is set at 37* or below I can throw all the gear I want at it. My D3.5 set at 15* on the can will take any gear too. Example being saturday I ran my D3.5 21.5, 15* timing, on a 3.42FDR, small technical track, driving it hard enough to win the 8min main, and it came off at 144*.
__________________
Pemberton SJ27 / Tekin RS / Cooper D4SS 17.5 / EAM 5000 / Futaba 9551 / 17.5lm
Pemberton SJ27 / Tekin RS / Bullet 13.5 / EAM 5000 / Savox 1251 / 13.5 Pro EDM

TLR22 / Tekin RS / D4SS 6.5 / Futaba 9551 / ORCA 6000 /SCMOD,
F14 carpet Oval Chassis too!
alloyslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #943
Tech Regular
 
Gundevil-81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Boaz
Posts: 371
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

hey alloyslash, as soon as I can get my hands on a chassis, I will be putting a usgt together and Thrasher said he was game as well. So here soon maybe you will have some competition at one lug.
__________________
One Lug Racing
Remember a compeditive racer gives you 2 corners before peeling you, but a courtious racer takes the time to help pick up all the pieces to a Tamiya puzzle off the track so racing can resume
Gundevil-81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #944
Tech Addict
 
alloyslash's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 538
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

I have 2 XRAY T2'06s and a T2'07 that yall can borrow if you want to get one going. You seen for yourself that i was able to gear it aggressive enough to compete in 17.5tc. Those EAM D3.5 21.5s have the power! Its a cool class to run for sure
__________________
Pemberton SJ27 / Tekin RS / Cooper D4SS 17.5 / EAM 5000 / Futaba 9551 / 17.5lm
Pemberton SJ27 / Tekin RS / Bullet 13.5 / EAM 5000 / Savox 1251 / 13.5 Pro EDM

TLR22 / Tekin RS / D4SS 6.5 / Futaba 9551 / ORCA 6000 /SCMOD,
F14 carpet Oval Chassis too!
alloyslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #945
Tech Regular
 
Gundevil-81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Boaz
Posts: 371
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

thanks bro, but I really don't like running other peoples rides. To afraid of tearing their ride up. With my own I am not scared to push it. The motor is about the only other thing I am looking for.
__________________
One Lug Racing
Remember a compeditive racer gives you 2 corners before peeling you, but a courtious racer takes the time to help pick up all the pieces to a Tamiya puzzle off the track so racing can resume
Gundevil-81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pro 10: 235mm Le Mans Prototype Pan Car Discussion liljohn1064 Electric On-Road 3940 11-27-2016 06:20 AM
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing squarehead Electric On-Road 14187 03-21-2012 02:43 PM
Drifting mr4tcsdrifter Colorado Racing 2678 11-01-2011 10:34 PM
RC GT Open str8.krooked Colorado Racing 49 04-28-2009 10:24 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:41 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0