R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 11-29-2016, 12:48 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: USGT
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: jlfx car audio
USIC USGT 2016 Motor and Chassis list

TQ A.F. TSR A800
2nd D.J. TeamPowers A800
3rd B.S. TSR A800
4th M.L. TSR A800
5th M.F TeamPowers A800
6th D.J TSR Destiny
7th J.W. Trinity Monster '17 Xray
8th C.V TSR Destiny
9 A.C. TSR A700
10 B.K. R1 v15 A700
13 J.L. TSR A800
14 M.L. TSR Destiny
18 R.C. TSR T4
20 S.J. TSR Destiny
22 E.S. motiv T4
26 P.D. TSR Destiny
30 V.P. Reedy M3 serpent 3.0
35 Y.B. Fantom A800
38 R.C. TSR A800
40 W.S. Reedy
43 Motiv xray
46 Motiv Xray

Print Wikipost

Old 01-28-2011, 03:49 PM   #76
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

the issue with using 21.5...is that since VTA moved to 25.5....most of us totally did away with 21.5's in trade in or sold to a oval guy...if you still have them great...but everybody has a 17.5.....its nationally the largest on-road class, whether its boosted/turbo ect or stock spec...the idea would be to get ppl running things at the Scale Nationals without over spending for something they may never use again...

like I said, Ive got 21.5's...and dont care one way or another...but if having a 17.5 stock spec class with the sweet bodies will fill the door ,why not...

If Im telling ppl to come to this race....even if they are not a fan of VTA, but of cool AZZ bodies...and all I have to do to sale it to them is a body swap...that they may keep as a shelf queen anyway..and some tires...why not...

I like the rules that are in place....I would go with a spec tire, to eliminate the headache of having somebody ,..Boo boo on a $40 set of tires that dont work...I would hate to waste some money on a set of tires I wont need anymore after the race...or during it...

at least if its spec...we all will be using the same tires(like in VTA)...and no advantage goes to the guys that have $$$$ to do trail and error, to find the best tires....most of us dont mind spec...as long as you ,me, him and her all run the same...if its a good tire..great...if its crap...great...your crap is just as stinky as mine..lol..but you get the point.

set it up so we can fill the building and bring more national attention to the race of the year...for us VTA and USGT guys anyway...

thanks, and my name is Myron "BATTMAN" Kinnard..and I love VTA and USGT
January 2017
Thunder RC Raceway
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:19 PM   #77
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Darkside has a point. On the other hand, with 17.5 TC being so prevalent, why do we need another 17.5 class ? The GT you described is just a marginally diluted TC class. But you're right, if someone had an interest in racing their TC car with a BMW body and a spec tire, they could do so. On the other hand, How many guy's REALLY want to use 1 car to do both classes ?? Sounds good but most drivers wouldn't want to consider changing the setup on a car thats working well in TC just to drive with different aerodynamics on a spec tire. Oh, you wouldn't expect them to use the same car ??...so now you need a second car with all the gear just to race GT ?? Hmmm.....that sounds so much less expensive than buying a 21.5 used from a VTA guy or buying a refurb from Novak.
At some point Rob, you guy's will have to make the same decision that was originally made with VTA. Is this going to be something unique that you're going to have to build or is it just another short lived cookie cutter class for those that already drive. I keep hearing how we need to make this class accessible to all those people who have 17.5's or already have cars ......Where's the effort to draw NEW racers ?? Or, like some have said...that's better left to VTA. Round and round we go....right back to What the hell IS USGT and what purpose does it serve.
Oh, regarding the allure of GT with cool ass bodies.....None of them look all that cool when the tires and wheels look like bicycle tires under the fenders. We all know how a 200mm body looks with 0 offset wheels and 24mm tires.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:32 PM   #78
Tech Fanatic

i got an ideal for tires..(& dont laugh)..we could just use the hpi vta tires...just the front tires & rims all the way around....we know they work & im sure alot of ppl have vta fronts & you still got your choice of spoke type rims...its a win win....b4 you dismiss it think about it...
starrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:38 PM   #79
Tech Champion

I see your point....and we will see what happens...Im good on 17.5 or 21.5....

and as far as bodies and those ugly "TC" wheels...you want catch me with those at the Scale Nats....Im so into winning concourse...FINALLY!!!!...lol

and I finished 3rd behind Eric Anderson(EA) and Jason Lutz, at the Music City Champs, with full RCGT against full TC's with boost and turbo...

hold up ....Ive got results and pics...Ill run the Xpatterns anyday

MCC - Stock Touring Car A Main Round# 4, Race# 1

________________________Driver___Car#____Laps____R aceTime____Fast Lap___Behind_
Eric Anderson #1 27 6:04.717 13.372
Jason Lutz #3 26 6:02.027 13.557
Myron Kinnard #5 26 6:06.509 13.869
January 2017
Thunder RC Raceway

Last edited by Matt Trimmings; 05-19-2016 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:42 PM   #80
Tech Addict

i race rcgt in omaha nebraska at the hobbyplex. its an awesome facility with a fast carpet track. we use x-patterns, 21.5 and an open speedo and its fast. 21.5 and open speedo is probably the way to go. and as far as the ff03, the best motor for it is the 21.5. the silver can that comes with the chassis is equal to the revs of a 17.5 with the torque of a 21.5 so i would do like i do and just run a 21.5 and a spec speedo. its a lil slow on a long straight but it kicks butt in the turns!
Old 01-28-2011, 06:43 PM   #81
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrx View Post
i got an ideal for tires..(& dont laugh)..we could just use the hpi vta tires...just the front tires & rims all the way around....we know they work & im sure alot of ppl have vta fronts & you still got your choice of spoke type rims...its a win win....b4 you dismiss it think about it...
No dismissal but ...what's the difference between that and simply using X-Patterns ?? You see how the whole tire thing starts to get muddled pretty quick. Just depends on WHAT you really want GT to be. Boy, if HPI would drop the price on the wheels and tires......this would be a no brainer !
Old 01-28-2011, 06:43 PM   #82
Tech Fanatic

just to add i think this class should stand out in some sort of way...if it 21.5motors wit the realistic bodies...vta is so different from any other class out there..thats 1 thing that makes it appealing & unique..no reason why USGT shouldnt get that same uniqueness...just my thoughts
Old 01-28-2011, 06:46 PM   #83
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
No dismissal but ...what's the difference between that and simply using X-Patterns ?? You see how the whole tire thing starts to get muddled pretty quick. Just depends on WHAT you really want GT to be. Boy, if HPI would drop the price on the wheels and tires......this would be a no brainer !
it was just a thought when i was eatting @ applebees
Old 01-28-2011, 07:01 PM   #84
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrx View Post
it was just a thought when i was eatting @ applebees
Ah....so it was the GAS that was talkin' !!?? Good ole' Applebees....gotta love them riblets.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:34 PM   #85
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
Pete Waydo (reenmachine) developed the Super GT + program which includes the FF cars. Same rules as WCRC I believe other than the FF inclusion.
http://www.roadrunnersrc.com/misc/BFTRIV_Rules.pdf
I'm sorry I guess I should have said Pete Waydo and the rest of us(we are a club and any new class has to be approved by the board of directors). I was just trying to explain how Pete and the rest of us solved the motor and tire problem. Someone on this forum once made a comment about the conflict between hobbyist and racers. Once racers get ahold of a class we tend to ruin it

TC6, Top Photon, B4.1, SC10 FT, Orion Motors and Servos, Tekin RS
AeRacer805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:38 AM   #86
Tech Champion

well since I was bored...i built me a 21.5 USGT car...with my TC3/21.5 Ballastic...going to try some laps with it on the "cheaper" x-patterns and see what lap times are ....
January 2017
Thunder RC Raceway
Old 01-29-2011, 07:25 AM   #87
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeRacer805 View Post
I'm sorry I guess I should have said Pete Waydo and the rest of us(we are a club and any new class has to be approved by the board of directors). I was just trying to explain how Pete and the rest of us solved the motor and tire problem. Someone on this forum once made a comment about the conflict between hobbyist and racers. Once racers get ahold of a class we tend to ruin it
Actually I should apologize....I didn't remember that Camarillo was the location and we were talking about the same thing ! For some reason I thought Pete and the Roadrunners club was in Arizona.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:41 PM   #88
Tech Adept

Thats cool man we are both passionate about Gt racing and want to see it grow.

TC6, Top Photon, B4.1, SC10 FT, Orion Motors and Servos, Tekin RS
AeRacer805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:13 PM   #89
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Thanks for the credit, but I don't really deserve it. Josh (AeRacer805) and I have been playing with the 21.5/no boost combo for at least a couple years now and for a long time were pretty much the only ones around here who appreciated how great it is. Then West Coast started Super GT and, IMO, got the tire spec just right, so we latched onto it. The '+' was just for the FF cars, but now that people aren't as afraid of them as they once were the '+' isn't really necessary. It's fun to run them together with the 4WD cars as each shines on a different part of the track.

Anyway, we love realistic GT racing, 21.5/zero is working great out here, and the Solaris spec premounts are working great for us as well. They're $28 for a full set, come on a great-looking spoked rim, and wear very well.

That being said, if a true national spec emerged for GT racing akin to how VTA is, I'd jump on the bandwagon in a minute in the interest of broader consistency.

Last edited by reenmachine; 01-30-2011 at 10:43 PM.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:15 PM   #90
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

USGT will be 21.5/spec

We will also be evaluating the tires as time goes on.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote