Like Tree6277Likes

USGT

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-12-2017, 12:28 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: USGT
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: DARKSIDE
USIC USGT 2016 Motor and Chassis list in qualifing order

TQ A.F. TSR A800
2nd D.J. TeamPowers A800
3rd B.S. TSR A800
4th M.L. TSR A800
5th M.F TeamPowers A800
6th D.J TSR Destiny
7th J.W. Trinity Monster '17 Xray
8th C.V TSR Destiny
9 A.C. TSR A700
10 B.K. R1 v15 A700
13 J.L. TSR A800
14 M.L. TSR Destiny
16 J.M. TSR. 15 Xray
18 R.C. TSR T4
19 M.K. Reedy Powered M3 AE TC7
20 S.J. TSR Destiny
22 E.S. motiv T4
26 P.D. TSR Destiny
30 V.P. Reedy M3 serpent 3.0
35 Y.B. Fantom A800
38 R.C. TSR A800
40 W.S. Reedy
43 Motiv xray
46 Motiv Xray

Print Wikipost

Old 03-01-2016, 07:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by daleepp
I agree 100%. When I look at the field of cars in the 1:1 scale Weathertech/IMSA GTLM class I see an interesting mixed bag of styles ranging from BMW M6's to the more radical Ford GT's and Ferrari 488's.
http://www.imsa.com/imsa101/car-classes

In the Pirelli World Challenge series, in the GT class you'll see Cadillac ATS's racing McLaren 675's and other exotics. A real mixed bag. The rules are pretty complex to keep performance levels as equal as possible between such radically different cars.
http://www.world-challenge.com/image.../2015-SEMA.pdf

In my opinion there is absolutely no place for Daytona Prototype (or any other LeMans type prototype) bodies in the USGT or GT10 class. It's just not right and it makes no sense - even if there's been no perceived advantage to using them.

By the time the shape of the DP's are fudged to fit the front shock towers under them and put molded-in rear wing struts on them they just look flat-out goofy. Flame me for having a strong opinion if you want - I don't really care.

Dale Epp - Protoform
+1 for scale appearing GT cars which have a real life as street going automobiles

Last edited by Matt Trimmings; 05-19-2016 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by julius_makewar
Pressure
Is that a Carisma DTM bodyshell? If so how well does it fit the chassis? They say the width is 185mm so I never purchased one because I was unsure of how well they would fit.
Cheers
Julius yes it is the Carisma, it fits pretty well the only problem was the wheel wells are cut out so you may have to adjust your wheelbase. Track width was pretty much flush for a nice "stance"

😎
Old 03-02-2016, 08:36 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Leester
Dale I'm sure we can all understand the dilemma you as a manufacturer face. However you seem to have solved this issue with your PF LTCR, LCTR 2.0 bodies, the F1 bodies you've recently designed and the cool PFM-10. I can only speak for myself but I don't really care if you design a body around a popular real car that forces you to pay a royalty (and more $ for me to buy) or one that is functional and well just really cool looking. Let's face it, with the limitations you have due to the basic design of the typical RC chassis you can only come up with a concept that "resembles" the real thing. I think you think we are all caught up in having to have the real thing. If it meant you coming up with more design choices (and maybe more weight choices of those designs) and something that was based off of a popular real car that the majority of us could get the "gist" of I think you'd be surprised. A couple more bucks in your pocket and a couple less out of mine is just fine with me.
Most of us RC racers live in fantasy world that allows us to live those fantasies out driving toy cars. It requires an "imagination" for us to think we're a Vettle, Hamilton or a Gordon and the cars they drive. Let the static model guys build their shelf queen scale models with all the realism that can be designed into their product without the limits you face. I'm just fine with a PFerarri, PFstang GT, or a PFadillac PTS. I just want a body that hooks up well and someone asks "who makes that body, it's really cool and where can I buy one"?
Hi Leester;
I agree with everything you stated - except for the one line that I underlined.

After 24 years of doing this and finding myself in some very difficult and costly situations I've concluded that "I have to pick my battles". Another way to paint a word picture is simply: "Don't poke the bear". There are many automakers that have spent decades creating unique styling cues that bear the "signature look" of the company. BMW has it's twin kidney bean shaped grills, Aston Martin has it's unique grill shape and Mercedes has it's vector logo. They all have these things registered so no one dares mess this these - even the ones that design real 1:1 cars. It's not just the Ferrari Prancing Horse or the Chevy Bowtie symbols that are protected, it's the signature look of the car as well.

Having said that, there are other reason's that we tread lightly when chooseing a new rc body style. There are some auto makers that ask outragious sums of money (McLaren) and some that are reasonable in the money dept. Others will and drag out the licensing process to the point of utter frustration and some that just flat out ignore all your letters and e-mail requests. The odd time there's a company that is easy to deal with and doesn't try to take all your profit and your pocket change - like Mazda!!! They're the best The next time you need a real car - buy a Mazda! There..... I said it.

The worst are the ones that ignore you and then out of the blue they sue you when they see you've done something similar to what they sell. Some companies have internal legal departments that they rely on for basic company $$ income because these same companies will sometimes operate for years in the red. They have loser lawyers that read Car Action magazine and look at Tower catalogues. They attend trade shows where they take pictures and notes. We were once threatened by a company called Visteon. (it was the former electronics division of Ford - like what AC Delco is to Chevy) WHY? Because we had a Visteon decal on a Ford Mondeo sedan on our web site. They were dead serious too - even when we explained why it was there etc. Honestly....they wanted to take us down - over that.

Some rc body companies get away with things because they don't advertise and don't have trade show booths. Eventually.........

You've probably concluded that it's a sensitive topic with me and you're right - because of what's gone on for the last 24 years. Maybe now you have a bit of a snapshot as to why. We now tend to err on the side of caution. I like my occupation, a lot, and those employees that work in the PF division at PL appreciate their jobs as well. We all simply want to continue doing it.

IMO there's some good stuff coming from PF in 2016 - for the USGT class.

Dale - Protoform
Old 03-02-2016, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

it is a slippery slope
Old 03-02-2016, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Thanks Dale! Looking forward to what you come up with.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

Hi Leester;
I agree with everything you stated - except for the one line that I underlined.

After 24 years of doing this and finding myself in some very difficult and costly situations I've concluded that "I have to pick my battles". Another way to paint a word picture is simply: "Don't poke the bear". There are many automakers that have spent decades creating unique styling cues that bear the "signature look" of the company. BMW has it's twin kidney bean shaped grills, Aston Martin has it's unique grill shape and Mercedes has it's vector logo. They all have these things registered so no one dares mess this these - even the ones that design real 1:1 cars. It's not just the Ferrari Prancing Horse or the Chevy Bowtie symbols that are protected, it's the signature look of the car as well.

Having said that, there are other reason's that we tread lightly when chooseing a new rc body style. There are some auto makers that ask outragious sums of money (McLaren) and some that are reasonable in the money dept. Others will and drag out the licensing process to the point of utter frustration and some that just flat out ignore all your letters and e-mail requests. The odd time there's a company that is easy to deal with and doesn't try to take all your profit and your pocket change - like Mazda!!! They're the best The next time you need a real car - buy a Mazda! There..... I said it.

The worst are the ones that ignore you and then out of the blue they sue you when they see you've done something similar to what they sell. Some companies have internal legal departments that they rely on for basic company $$ income because these same companies will sometimes operate for years in the red. They have loser lawyers that read Car Action magazine and look at Tower catalogues. They attend trade shows where they take pictures and notes. We were once threatened by a company called Visteon. (it was the former electronics division of Ford - like what AC Delco is to Chevy) WHY? Because we had a Visteon decal on a Ford Mondeo sedan on our web site. They were dead serious too - even when we explained why it was there etc. Honestly....they wanted to take us down - over that.

Some rc body companies get away with things because they don't advertise and don't have trade show booths. Eventually.........

You've probably concluded that it's a sensitive topic with me and you're right - because of what's gone on for the last 24 years. Maybe now you have a bit of a snapshot as to why. We now tend to err on the side of caution. I like my occupation, a lot, and those employees that work in the PF division at PL appreciate their jobs as well. We all simply want to continue doing it.

Dale - Protoform
Dale,
Thanks for giving me (all of us) a detailed reply as to the "why's and wherefore's" you/PF/PL deal with on a regular basis. It's this type of insight that makes things much easier for me to understand the decisions you have to make when bringing a product to market. It also makes it much easier to understand why costs are what they are on your side of the business. In the RC world your company has to deal with issues that are unique to the products you provide. Can't think of too many other parts of the industry that have the added burden of adding licensing agreement costs to the price of their product! Should make your reply a "sticky" so you don't have to repeat the explanation a month from now!
Old 03-02-2016, 04:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

like Mazda!!! They're the best The next time you need a real car - buy a Mazda! There..... I said it.

Dale - Protoform
I agree, now go make a 1/10th Touring Car sized Miata body (prefer NB to match my track car but ND will be fine) and I'll order a dozen.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

A Speed 3 body would look pretty sweet in USGT as well. Or a PF Version of the Furia or RX7 mmmmmm mmm. Sotry to beg on what I am sure is already a full line up one the way. (Let's face it, the RX8 did not meet expectations).

But on that note of a full docket, are there any new VTA bodies in the line-up. It's been a hot minute since the PF Trans Am was released.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by linkless
I agree, now go make a 1/10th Touring Car sized Miata body (prefer NB to match my track car but ND will be fine) and I'll order a dozen.
1990 Please!

But what to do about the convertible top? I guess no choice but to go with the hard top.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
I think it is worth mentioning that the people responsible for making the USGT rules are aware of the issues surrounding "Daytona" Prototype bodies (based on posts that have been made in this thread by those individuals). If and/or when the rules are changed pertaining to these bodies, they are currently legal.

Whether the prototype bodies are an advantage or not is certainly worth debating, but it shouldn't affect anyone's enjoyment of this class. I've seen so many different bodies performing well in this class over the years that I'm convinced that it is setup and driving that really makes the difference. Do different bodies perform differently? Of course they do. Do most bodies perform so differently that you can't set them up do be competitive? Not that I've seen. The diversity of the bodies and their connection to real world versions is part of what makes this class great for racers AND spectators alike.

There are very few classes that offer such a wide selection of bodies and chassis that can be competitive. If someone doesn't like prototypes, run a body that is as different from a prototype as possible. Set up your chassis well, drive a good race, and beat all those "ugly" cars. After the race engage in some friendly trash talk with the prototype guys, laugh together, and HAVE SOME FUN.
You knew I'd agree with this IndyRCRacer! My opinion: Its hard enough to get people INTO this hobby. If you demand that the "acceptable list" of USGT car bodies is narrowed even further to match your own personal view of the world, then you are pushing potential USGT racers away.

If a racer wants to run a car body that turns them on and makes them want to come to the track and plop down their hard earned money to race, I think that's a great thing. Sure, you don't want to provide a competitive advantage, but keep them realistic I think you are good to go.

As far as licensing, lawyers eat their young. Years ago, manufacturers were complimented to have companies what to reproduce their vehicles. It was free marketing to the max! Hot Wheels would have never made it in today's world. The model train guys are dealing with it as are the plastic model people. So sad.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Because we had a Visteon decal on a Ford Mondeo sedan on our web site.....

Dale - Protoform
Sticker issue aside is there any chance to get the Mondeo back onto the market? I would love to do up some old school Aussie V8 paint jobs on one. This was one of my all time favorite PF bodies. Maybe an "Old School" or re-release of the older bodies from the BTCC inspired days....Vaxhual, BMW etc etc???

Thanks for all the work over the years Dale cant wait to see what you have out for us next!
Old 03-03-2016, 02:38 PM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin K
Sticker issue aside is there any chance to get the Mondeo back onto the market? I would love to do up some old school Aussie V8 paint jobs on one. This was one of my all time favorite PF bodies. Maybe an "Old School" or re-release of the older bodies from the BTCC inspired days....Vaxhual, BMW etc etc???

Thanks for all the work over the years Dale cant wait to see what you have out for us next!
Agreed! I loved watching Mueller in the Vauxhall in the late 90's and early 2000's. That dude was a man on a mission!!

Old 03-03-2016, 04:13 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
You knew I'd agree with this IndyRCRacer! My opinion: Its hard enough to get people INTO this hobby. If you demand that the "acceptable list" of USGT car bodies is narrowed even further to match your own personal view of the world, then you are pushing potential USGT racers away.

If a racer wants to run a car body that turns them on and makes them want to come to the track and plop down their hard earned money to race, I think that's a great thing. Sure, you don't want to provide a competitive advantage, but keep them realistic I think you are good to go.

As far as licensing, lawyers eat their young. Years ago, manufacturers were complimented to have companies what to reproduce their vehicles. It was free marketing to the max! Hot Wheels would have never made it in today's world. The model train guys are dealing with it as are the plastic model people. So sad.
1++
Old 03-03-2016, 04:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

So lets have tow trucks and school buses racing in USGT! Then we can re-name it USWTF.
Trick81 likes this.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-7481-Vau...gAAOSwAKxWVT49

Factory painted HPI Vauxhall 190mm body
NOT my body, not my ad. Please don't ask me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.