Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree6280Likes

USGT

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-12-2017, 12:28 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: USGT
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: DARKSIDE
USIC USGT 2016 Motor and Chassis list in qualifing order

TQ A.F. TSR A800
2nd D.J. TeamPowers A800
3rd B.S. TSR A800
4th M.L. TSR A800
5th M.F TeamPowers A800
6th D.J TSR Destiny
7th J.W. Trinity Monster '17 Xray
8th C.V TSR Destiny
9 A.C. TSR A700
10 B.K. R1 v15 A700
13 J.L. TSR A800
14 M.L. TSR Destiny
16 J.M. TSR. 15 Xray
18 R.C. TSR T4
19 M.K. Reedy Powered M3 AE TC7
20 S.J. TSR Destiny
22 E.S. motiv T4
26 P.D. TSR Destiny
30 V.P. Reedy M3 serpent 3.0
35 Y.B. Fantom A800
38 R.C. TSR A800
40 W.S. Reedy
43 Motiv xray
46 Motiv Xray

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 12:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Indyonroad
Riley prototype with a HPI Mclaren rear wing, handles good.
I really like the riley bodys but I heard there frowned upon in usgt. Anyone have this issue at there track? I got hooked on them when I was in the slot car scene. Slot it makes a real nice realistic slot car of it.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

@jreeves TQrc shows the tires in stock. I've ordered mine from there several times. good prices and super fast shipping. @ josh n ya running the prototype bodies is frowned upon by purists but they haven't shown any real performance advantage so they let them run. I personally think it adds variety to the class and mankes it look like real gt racing.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jreeves
Where are you getting these tires now?

Gravity RC is still bringing in/selling the tires and any hobby shop or online retail site can order from them along with you going direct to Gravity RC to order tires.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya
I really like the riley bodys but I heard there frowned upon in usgt. Anyone have this issue at there track? I got hooked on them when I was in the slot car scene. Slot it makes a real nice realistic slot car of it.
Ya so I tellem kiss my butt their legal. Same people say nothing about Tamiya Nissan or HPI McLaren. So I have been Telling them to kick rocks. Josh
Old 09-19-2014, 07:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
It really doesn't, they are super hot in person.
Thanks Carlton. TB03 power!
Old 09-19-2014, 11:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya
They are clearly legal by USVTA USGT rules but Hobby Town in Austin TX and Al's Hobbies in San Antonio don't allow them is their USGT class at their club races (although they don't turn you away if you have one). Not really sure about the Texas EOS series.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:08 AM
Tech Initiate

Raced with Mr.MacGregor from Austin and he had a Riley witch looked way better than all the BMW's n Skyline's .. but what do I know I race a

☆smokie p☆

Last edited by Matt Trimmings; 05-19-2016 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr.75MHz
Raced with Mr.MacGregor from Austin and he had a Riley witch looked way better than all the BMW's n Skyline's .. but what do I know I race a

☆smokie p☆
It's this the same cheater body you use? Lol. J/k.

Smokie you coming up tomorrow for some Usgt?
Old 09-20-2014, 01:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Wallace2
They are clearly legal by USVTA USGT rules but Hobby Town in Austin TX and Al's Hobbies in San Antonio don't allow them is their USGT class at their club races (although they don't turn you away if you have one). Not really sure about the Texas EOS series.
If everyone would just follow the spirit of the rule there wouldn't be a controversy. There is a distinct advantage using a LMP body in GT, especially on a long track with long straights.

Riley's are LMP / DP Prototype bodies in real life, why would that change for RCs?

The fact that some local club races allow them to run in GT is there business, but they are clearly NOT a GT body based on the simple fact that you can't buy one at a dealership and drive it on the street. They are listed as USLMP bodies as stated in the rules, and are discouraged, which tells me they should not be in a GT class....especially since there are a whole slew of viable options:

USGT Body Specifications:
Any 190mm or 200mm body. Body can be any body that is NOT on the ROAR T2 body list. FWD encouraged to use FWD bodies However, Can AM or IMSA style bodies, similar to 1/12 or 1/8 bodies are also discouraged NO Trucks
Any "SCALE" molded wings can be used. Lexan wings 10mm maximum height / side dam height
Scale type race liveries encouraged

USLMP:
Only LMP, Group C, GTP, GT1, Can Am, Sports Prototype bodies are allowed

- If body comes with molded in kick up at rear, must be cut out to resemble separate wing as on full scale car

- If body come with separate wing, must be mounted in same location as full scale car

- No oval or TC style wings allowed

- Scale liveries encouraged and recommended, we will make fun of you if you paint a tribal flamejob-no exceptions

Just my .02
Old 09-20-2014, 01:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Can you quantify the distinct advantage in lap time or is this just your conjecture? I only ask because consistently you see NSXs, McLarens, Camaros and Nissan 350 bodies on the fast cars at most of the races I go to. Not only that, Kevin K put a Corvette prototype on his car last year, and he found no real advantage.

Real aerodynamics don't necessarily translate to rc....hence tiny greenhouses and giant built in scoops on the back of 1/12 and 1/8 cars.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:07 PM
Tech Adept

The problem is the wording of the rules. You can't use words like "discouraged". Because that makes it legal. Then you have people that are following the letter of the rules and people following the spirit of the rules. Some people will push the grey areas of the rules to get an advantage and others will follow the spirit of the rules. That will always result in conflict. That is the nature of competition.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
Can you quantify the distinct advantage in lap time or is this just your conjecture? I only ask because consistently you see NSXs, McLarens, Camaros and Nissan 350 bodies on the fast cars at most of the races I go to. Not only that, Kevin K put a Corvette prototype on his car last year, and he found no real advantage.

Real aerodynamics don't necessarily translate to rc....hence tiny greenhouses and giant built in scoops on the back of 1/12 and 1/8 cars.
Conjecture ....based on the logic that the body still has to travel through air, provide down force and channel air over the surface of the body efficiently, and Riley would allow air to move over it's surface more smoothly.

My guess is that if someone ran a boxy Camaro or BMW and the Riley on the same chassis that the Riley would reach a higher top speed....it may (or may not) handle as well but it should be faster down a long straight.

It is rather comical to see how out of proportion the 1/12 & 1/8 bodies have gotten since I left RC racing in the late 80s....and this is exactly why I chose 1/10 scale GT (and TCs) when I got back in earlier this year. There is something about a nice painted and detailed GT body to add realism to RCs.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My USGT car ready for next weekend.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by OttoKrosse
Conjecture ....based on the logic that the body still has to travel through air, provide down force and channel air over the surface of the body efficiently, and Riley would allow air to move over it's surface more smoothly.

My guess is that if someone ran a boxy Camaro or BMW and the Riley on the same chassis that the Riley would reach a higher top speed....it may (or may not) handle as well but it should be faster down a long straight.

It is rather comical to see how out of proportion the 1/12 & 1/8 bodies have gotten since I left RC racing in the late 80s....and this is exactly why I chose 1/10 scale GT (and TCs) when I got back in earlier this year. There is something about a nice painted and detailed GT body to add realism to RCs.
Well he is right to an extent, aerodynamics don't necessarily translate to RC---at least 1:1. There are very different Reynolds (sp?) numbers for a car going 200 MPH and a 1/12th scale car going 40 MPH. But aero does affect RC cars otherwise why would there be those big "scoops" on the back of those 12th cars (aero down force) makes me wonder if he every ran a 12th scale car with and without a body? When my son and I raced Oval we raced on several high speed Velodromes (60 to 70 MPH for 4 minutes). One fellow build a wind tunnel and tested various bodies to determine the drag coefficient of each and even tested the angle the body was mounted (slightly higher in the nose produced the lowest drag at speed). Fortunately he shared his information on a website and we used this information to help get 3 TQs (1 me 2 my son) and a modified win at the Major Taylor Velodrome in Indy (funny no one every figured out why my son always dropped back from the pole to about 4th or 5th at the start of the race (purely a aero decision - can you spell draft). The faster you go the more important is aero, whether you try to minimize drag (for high straightway speed) or maximize down force (for more cornering speed), aero is important! However, some things seem to been more important than others (e.g., front end splitters at USGT speeds appear more ornamental than functional perhaps because of the small Reynolds numbers of RC cars).

Last edited by John Wallace2; 09-25-2014 at 05:18 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:35 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by RaceDayHobbies
The problem is the wording of the rules. You can't use words like "discouraged". Because that makes it legal. Then you have people that are following the letter of the rules and people following the spirit of the rules. Some people will push the grey areas of the rules to get an advantage and others will follow the spirit of the rules. That will always result in conflict. That is the nature of competition.
This.

Words like that should never be found in a rule book.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.