R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 11-29-2016, 12:48 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: USGT
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: jlfx car audio
USIC USGT 2016 Motor and Chassis list

TQ A.F. TSR A800
2nd D.J. TeamPowers A800
3rd B.S. TSR A800
4th M.L. TSR A800
5th M.F TeamPowers A800
6th D.J TSR Destiny
7th J.W. Trinity Monster '17 Xray
8th C.V TSR Destiny
9 A.C. TSR A700
10 B.K. R1 v15 A700
13 J.L. TSR A800
14 M.L. TSR Destiny
18 R.C. TSR T4
20 S.J. TSR Destiny
22 E.S. motiv T4
26 P.D. TSR Destiny
30 V.P. Reedy M3 serpent 3.0
35 Y.B. Fantom A800
38 R.C. TSR A800
40 W.S. Reedy
43 Motiv xray
46 Motiv Xray

Print Wikipost

Old 09-11-2014, 08:12 AM   #3076
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoKrosse View Post
Damn, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings by expressing a different line of thinking than yours. I thought this was an open forum where different ideas can be exchanged without someone getting their feelings hurt....my mistake.
Lol. No feelings hurt here. Lol.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:19 AM   #3077
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
I can see your point, BUT, for some on a limited budget it's better to spend the money once and buy good equipment the first time out. It can get very expensive to buy lower tiered equipment, then go out 3-4 months later to upgrade, then upgrading again in another 4-6 months.

After being away form RC racing for 25 years I went out and bought 2 TC6.2s within 3 months of each other. I equipped them with higher end electronics, batteries and motors (etc.) and I only had to spend the money once.

I'm just starting to tweak systems on the cars to get better performance and the best part is the cost is minimal. Shock oil, motor timing adjustments, a front diff, springs, sway bars and gears are not a big expense.

For those of us that can't afford 2-3 wholesale changes (or upgrades) yearly buying once makes a lot more sense.

Consistency comes with practice good equipment comes at a cost, so it's a matter of priorities...and available cash, and everyone's situation is different.
Just so he's not out there alone. I'd say I agree.Once you've decided this is going to be your "Thing", just bite the bullet and buy good equipment as you can afford it. I now have 3 6.2's. The car is hugely better than the 6.1's. Especially if you don't drive real purty and tap walls from time to time.The arm mounts save you a fortune and because they don't bind up, they make you more consistent. The 6.2 lowered my deviation consistently. And I was able to sell my 6.1's while they still had good value. Trying to sell a TC5 is like trying to sell a Vega now.
Yes, I have good equipment. Yes, I do get beat. But it's usually the loose nut behind the steering wheel, not because of stuff. And I can walk away saying I'll work on that. If I'm having a good night, you won't catch me. But it sucks having a good deviation night and not being able to run with the leaders.
And beyond my chassises (Chassi? My stuff lasts. It's mostly the same stuff I've been running weekly for years sans the motor and batteries.And batteries are a consumable. it'd be the same had the D3.5's not been outlawed. But it was because I bought good stuff to begin with once I committed to the hobby. My .02 cents
"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do"
JRnotEwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 11:41 AM   #3078
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRnotEwing View Post
Just so he's not out there alone. I'd say I agree.Once you've decided this is going to be your "Thing", just bite the bullet and buy good equipment as you can afford it. I now have 3 6.2's. The car is hugely better than the 6.1's. Especially if you don't drive real purty and tap walls from time to time.The arm mounts save you a fortune and because they don't bind up, they make you more consistent. The 6.2 lowered my deviation consistently. And I was able to sell my 6.1's while they still had good value. Trying to sell a TC5 is like trying to sell a Vega now.
Yes, I have good equipment. Yes, I do get beat. But it's usually the loose nut behind the steering wheel, not because of stuff. And I can walk away saying I'll work on that. If I'm having a good night, you won't catch me. But it sucks having a good deviation night and not being able to run with the leaders.
And beyond my chassises (Chassi? My stuff lasts. It's mostly the same stuff I've been running weekly for years sans the motor and batteries.And batteries are a consumable. it'd be the same had the D3.5's not been outlawed. But it was because I bought good stuff to begin with once I committed to the hobby. My .02 cents
see your's and OttoKrosse's comments are completely different then someone going "money is no option - I want the best that I can get"

I race on a budget and I figure out what I can get for what I'm willing to spend - which is similar to spending XX amount because I don't want to have to buy again personally, there is nothing wrong with that - like I said, I have issues with people who think that spending the most money is the way to win races

but that's just my 2 cents
Old 09-11-2014, 11:53 AM   #3079
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I will agree with buying high end electronics as they help immensely and last 10tiems longer than most cheap chinese junk. That being said all the setup stations and high end chargers and high end cars are not necessary. A nice camber gauge and ride height tool and your own 2 eyes will get u a pretty decent setup every time. As far as chassis yeah the X-ray or tc6.2 are nice cars but if you can't drive it worth a crap a clod buster could beat it. Think im wrong? Look at how many tc3s and tc4s are still racing very competitively. several top USGT and VTA cars are old chassis with good drivers.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:01 PM   #3080
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Rodarbal

The funny thing is, since I know Joe, I know his advice doesn't differ much from what Otto and JR are saying. Basically get the best you can afford, work on your lines, slow in, fast out and consistency will come. He just happens to get nice stuff for himself and makes it work (ie. we're all chasing him!).

So when a new Turdigy popped up locally for sale and knowing others on here have been doing well with it I figured I'd give it a shot. And yes, my Mi4s are all "old" now, but I can't justify getting rid of them yet. I didn't spend much on them and I'm still having a blast locally.
Rodarbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:21 PM   #3081
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Maxey View Post
Lol. No feelings hurt here. Lol.
OK, that's cool, I was worried that I stepped on toes inadvertently.

Oo=00=oO
OttoKrosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #3082
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodarbal View Post
And yes, my Mi4s are all "old" now, but I can't justify getting rid of them yet. I didn't spend much on them and I'm still having a blast locally.
Old doesn't mean slow as many here can testify to, it's truly a drivers skill level that makes one fast, the equipment just makes it easier.

Since most of us are on a budget I get the idea of spending conservatively. I knew when I got back into RCs that I was in for the long haul so I spent in areas I found to be most beneficial for a rusty driver (good car, electronics, servos, batteries and ESCs.....and good tires). Now the job is to figure out how to make it all work together, thankfully I have some local racers that have been very helpful with tips.

Gotta say that this hobby is the most fun I've had outside of running in SCCA Auto Cross, and it's a lot more affordable too.

Oo=00=oO
OttoKrosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:29 PM   #3083
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Gotta say that this hobby is the most fun I've had outside of running in SCCA Auto Cross, and it's a lot more affordable too.
LOL, I love motorsports. I did Solo II in the mid '90s to early 2000's in the spring/summer in Ohio, then RC carpet oval in the winter. Got out of autox'ing when my son was born. Now he's 10 and RC racing is something we can do together. Will I get back to dodging cones again? Probably. We'll see! I know there are others on here who wheel full-scale cars on the track.

So... HPI S2000 body - anybody run it?
Old 09-11-2014, 01:54 PM   #3084
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodarbal View Post
So... HPI S2000 body - anybody run it?
can you actually find one? I thought it was discontinued years ago - I remember one guy run it and did fairly well with it, but this was foam 27t touring back in the pre-TC3 days
Old 09-11-2014, 02:05 PM   #3085
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar View Post
can you actually find one? I thought it was discontinued years ago - I remember one guy run it and did fairly well with it, but this was foam 27t touring back in the pre-TC3 days
One of the local guys who got out of on-road has one that he's been debating on painting and selling. So since it's now a "collector's item" would it be blasphemous for me to paint and race it?
Old 09-11-2014, 09:15 PM   #3086
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

This was never suppose to be about the price, I would rather spend less and have money for other parts (I have a lot of cars). My original question was due to being passed on the straights, gearing up to keep up but end up getting too hot. I just wanted to know which one was best.
Losi 22-4 - MMP - Tekin Gen2 5.5 * Losi SCTE - RX8 - Tekin Pro4 4600 * 22SCT - MMP - Tekin Redline Gen2 6.5T * Losi 22B 2.0 - Tekin RS - Novak 8.5T * TC6.2 * TC6.1 VTA * Wraith - CC Sidewinder - HH TorqueMaster 35T * E-max - Rustler - Slash - 1/16 Revo
Adonis_mp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:35 PM   #3087
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adonis_mp View Post
I just wanted to know which one was best.
The results at our track showed a Fantom Ionv5 21.5 (team edition) with all the bells and whistle is the fastest (on that day)and it ran 155 all day. Nearly a 2 lap win in a 12 minute main. Lap traffic keep that from happening. Lol (Thanks big daddy for keeping that from happening). It wasn't cheap but I was happy with the results. If you ever want to take my car for a spin at the track just ask. I let every one drive it.

Here a link. http://www.fantomracing.com/proddeta...prod=FAN27848W
Old 09-11-2014, 09:45 PM   #3088
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adonis_mp View Post
This was never suppose to be about the price, I would rather spend less and have money for other parts (I have a lot of cars). My original question was due to being passed on the straights, gearing up to keep up but end up getting too hot. I just wanted to know which one was best.
I go to simple items what cooling fan are you using also how much timing do you have in the car. In racing using 21.5 motors the fast guys have lots of time find where timing and gearing intersect to create the fast laps. Most drivers are losing speed from mid corner to corner exit and it really shows up down straightaway's. Their cars are making the straight's longer that keeps the motor cooler by not boging the motor on corner exit.
HobbyTown Fresno, Ca. McAllister Racing, Visa/MasterCard's
"Take an early lead and extend it".(Fast Eddie Janis)
vivo quevas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:20 PM   #3089
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Maxey View Post
The results at our track showed a Fantom Ionv5 21.5 (team edition) with all the bells and whistle is the fastest (on that day)and it ran 155 all day. Nearly a 2 lap win in a 12 minute main. Lap traffic keep that from happening. Lol (Thanks big daddy for keeping that from happening). It wasn't cheap but I was happy with the results. If you ever want to take my car for a spin at the track just ask. I let every one drive it.

Here a link. http://www.fantomracing.com/proddeta...prod=FAN27848W
What timing and FDR did you use?
John Wallace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:07 AM   #3090
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wallace2 View Post
What timing and FDR did you use?
58 @ 3.68 final. 122631.9. 84 pitch gears.