R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 11-29-2016, 12:48 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: USGT
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: jlfx car audio
USIC USGT 2016 Motor and Chassis list

TQ A.F. TSR A800
2nd D.J. TeamPowers A800
3rd B.S. TSR A800
4th M.L. TSR A800
5th M.F TeamPowers A800
6th D.J TSR Destiny
7th J.W. Trinity Monster '17 Xray
8th C.V TSR Destiny
9 A.C. TSR A700
10 B.K. R1 v15 A700
13 J.L. TSR A800
14 M.L. TSR Destiny
18 R.C. TSR T4
20 S.J. TSR Destiny
22 E.S. motiv T4
26 P.D. TSR Destiny
30 V.P. Reedy M3 serpent 3.0
35 Y.B. Fantom A800
38 R.C. TSR A800
40 W.S. Reedy
43 Motiv xray
46 Motiv Xray

Print Wikipost

Old 06-25-2010, 10:06 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I'm a beginner and I'm fascinated by the argument that beginners cannot be competitive with the fast racers until the ESCs are spec'd. There is a notion that the playing field must be leveled for beginners and the best way to achieve this is by spec段ng the ESC. Another concern that I often see is with regards to the financial impact to the new comer of having to purchase the most expensive ESC to be competitive.

So, am I correct to assume that the following areas will have absolutely no impact to overall success of a beginner?

Build - A seasoned racer who applies the tips and tricks learned over the year to build and optimize their car will have the same end product as beginner who applied their limited knowledge to build and optimize their car.

Pre-race preparations - A seasoned racer who spent time to prepare their car (clean and lube bearings, rebuild differential, rebuild shocks, etc) will have the same end product on race day as a beginnner who might not have put in this level of effort.

Race day tuning - A seasoned racer who has applied their tuning knowledge and experience acquired over the years of racing will have the same end product as a beginner who has applied their limited tuning knowledge and experience.

Post race assessment - A seasoned and beginner racer will both have the same take away after a race that will be used to their advantage at the next race event.

Spec段ng an ESC will not level the playing field for beginners. We (beginners) will begin to close the gap when we start to master the various aspects mentioned above. This is the only way to rid ourselves of the beginner label. It is not by forcing the race director to spec the ESC, motor, or whatever you may feel is inadequate about your gear.

-John
Old 06-25-2010, 10:15 AM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

John,

Good points and very valid. What spec'ing a speedo will do it is take one thing off the table. Not as many variables, so the new racer can concentrate on other items and get faster, quicker ( in some cases ) . It also helps the new racer with the fact they KNOW they have the right speedo. But spec'ing things like speedo are good for the overall class, and not just the new racers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_green View Post
Spec段ng an ESC will not level the playing field for beginners. We (beginners) will begin to close the gap when we start to master the various aspects mentioned above. This is the only way to rid ourselves of the beginner label. It is not by forcing the race director to spec the ESC, motor, or whatever you may feel is inadequate about your gear.

-John
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:17 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

They all have an impact. But the most important key to the success of a beginner is getting around the track in piece. So Race Day tuning has more importance than the other things you listed.

Open ESC/17.5 motors are insanely fast. Some new people have talent and skill and can put together 20 plus laps without tapping the pipes.

Other beginners can't drive a straight line at those speeds and end up breaking something.

If a beginner can't handle the speed, then Race Day Tuning goes out the window and all of the other aspects you mentioned won't matter.

Slow the cars down with motors and Spec ESCs, and then they can learn to drive. Once they learn to drive, THEN all of the other things you mentioned come into play.
pejota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:28 AM   #19
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I find this class attractive since most people have a 21.5 that they won't be using any longer after Sept 1. I'm sure you can pick one up pretty cheap when VTA moves to 25.5.

I never made the investment to buy a notebook since there is always someone with a notebook that has hotwire installed and is more than willing to allow me to flash my esc. Any really, who doesn't have a old notebook at home? If you really did need to buy one, do you really have to go buy a new one with 2 gigs of ram? I'm sure you can find one on ebay for $100-200 ... do you really need to buy a expensive notebook just so you can drag it around the pits? That's like saying I need to buy a 40k car so I look good when I roll in so no one will make fun of me.
home13oy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:37 AM   #20
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsfly View Post
GT is not meant to be the entry level class. VTA provides that portal.
It is however not going to be so fast with the open speedo 21.5 that it will be prohibitively fast if someone with a little experience wants to jump in.
You are correct Darrald....that was our thinking behind this class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPotter View Post
John,

Good points and very valid. What spec'ing a speedo will do it is take one thing off the table. Not as many variables, so the new racer can concentrate on other items and get faster, quicker ( in some cases ) . It also helps the new racer with the fact they KNOW they have the right speedo. But spec'ing things like speedo are good for the overall class, and not just the new racers.
Tim....I agree with what you are saying it does take one thing away on the list of things that add up. With this class we wanted it to be in the middle so you can go up from it or come down from it if 17.5 open was too fast for you. A spec esc wouldnt be a good idea to go along with that idea. We said why make people buy a ESC just to race this class rather then use what they already have? If they are new they need to buy something and also if they buy an open esc they will not have to make another purchase later if they want to move up a class.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:24 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

No Mazda bodies allowed ! JK. Good idea Rob & Kevin. Hope it works out for you!
Old 06-25-2010, 01:00 PM   #22
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Kevin,

Good points, my thinking is this speedo/motor combo is about retail cost of a good motor. And you get both... and if it doe snto work out, and people do not like to race, they have a great brushless bashing combo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
You are correct Darrald....that was our thinking behind this class.

Tim....I agree with what you are saying it does take one thing away on the list of things that add up. With this class we wanted it to be in the middle so you can go up from it or come down from it if 17.5 open was too fast for you. A spec esc wouldnt be a good idea to go along with that idea. We said why make people buy a ESC just to race this class rather then use what they already have? If they are new they need to buy something and also if they buy an open esc they will not have to make another purchase later if they want to move up a class.
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:33 PM   #23
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPotter View Post
Kevin,

Good points, my thinking is this speedo/motor combo is about retail cost of a good motor. And you get both... and if it doe snto work out, and people do not like to race, they have a great brushless bashing combo...
Yeah i can see that. Really with the way the rules are written you can use a Citrix ESC if you want it would be legal....it might not be as fast as some of the others but at lower cost its a good way to get your feet wet so to speak too.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:01 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

This could be the best post I have ever read on RCTECH, and to think it came from someone new to the sport. Awesome job John, I am guessing you will someday soon become quite good at this

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_green View Post
I'm a beginner and I'm fascinated by the argument that beginners cannot be competitive with the fast racers until the ESCs are spec'd. There is a notion that the playing field must be leveled for beginners and the best way to achieve this is by spec段ng the ESC. Another concern that I often see is with regards to the financial impact to the new comer of having to purchase the most expensive ESC to be competitive.

So, am I correct to assume that the following areas will have absolutely no impact to overall success of a beginner?

Build - A seasoned racer who applies the tips and tricks learned over the year to build and optimize their car will have the same end product as beginner who applied their limited knowledge to build and optimize their car.

Pre-race preparations - A seasoned racer who spent time to prepare their car (clean and lube bearings, rebuild differential, rebuild shocks, etc) will have the same end product on race day as a beginnner who might not have put in this level of effort.

Race day tuning - A seasoned racer who has applied their tuning knowledge and experience acquired over the years of racing will have the same end product as a beginner who has applied their limited tuning knowledge and experience.

Post race assessment - A seasoned and beginner racer will both have the same take away after a race that will be used to their advantage at the next race event.

-John
Fasttrax Racing Series / NORA On Road Series
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:02 PM   #25
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:

Thousand dollars...really. ESC...150.00 or less....Lap top...300 or less...pc interface 40 or less....Math wasnt my strong subject in school but I dont see 1000 dollars there.
You dont even have to have the Laptop and interface. I can always find someone with SP or Tekin stuff who will change my ESC settings for me. Thats the good nature of fellow racers.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:13 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Touring cars lack of definition has driven me to WGT. There is life after sedan racing folks.

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:14 PM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
We dont think this class will dilute Trans AM. People that like Trans AM will still race it. All this class is doing is allowing a set of rules to be run along with VTA and the next step up. This would also work for all the guys that want to make VTA faster....here you go here is USGT.
I was referring to the already existing RCGT class.
Trans AM and mini are the two strong classes by me.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:00 PM   #28
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
We dont think this class will dilute Trans AM. People that like Trans AM will still race it. All this class is doing is allowing a set of rules to be run along with VTA and the next step up. This would also work for all the guys that want to make VTA faster....here you go here is USGT.

Our two largest classes are mini & VTA in the winter, right now it's VTA.
There is definitely a division in VTA, basically A & B mainers. I'm a B mainer.
I want a second class to run. Mini is not my thing. Something intermediate.
GT fits the bill. I'll continue to race VTA but move my 21.5 to GT. Setups should be close. Older Chassises will still works and keeps the cost down. The Fast guys will still be fast (you can't beat experience) and they are doing it with GTBs , TA05Rs, T1s & XXX-S. What works for VTA other than cost is it puts driving skills & setup at a higher level of importance than what's the latest hopup to buy. GT opens the door a little but not too much, it's a perfect step before TC. Thumbs up!
Old 06-26-2010, 11:18 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abailey21 View Post
Your shooting yourself in the foot with an open ESC rule, the fact i'll need a thousand dollars worth of ESC's, a laptop, and all the PC hookups for the ESC's just to be competitive in a "21.5 spec" class would turn me, and new comers away in a heartbeat
+1.

I do think that 21.5/open ESC would be great fun and the perfect speed for door-to-door racing. However, if you want to run at the front you will have to continually buy the latest greatest ESC. This is what caused all the problems for RCGT and Sportsman TC in the first place.

I would argue that the slower motor you use, the more important the ESC becomes. At slower speeds, the effects of chassis setup issues are diminished, traction issues and tire wear aren't as big a factor, etc. There will be more people able to drive tight, smooth lines at this speed and less variation in car handling. Therefore it is extra important to have the best possible ESC at all times.

It's just like racing silver cans. The cars aren't all that fast, so it's easier to get them to be dialed, handling-wise. But if someone did a little more magic to their motor than you and has just 1000 more RPM on tap, it's all over for you.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:47 PM   #30
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by corallyman View Post
This could be the best post I have ever read on RCTECH, and to think it came from someone new to the sport. Awesome job John, I am guessing you will someday soon become quite good at this

Steve
I agree too, in the most part. It is a very good post from someone with obviously fresh eyes on the situation.

I also agree in part wit hthe other posts regarding "removing one of the variables", but again, that alone will not make bugger all difference. In the end, some gear will be faster by manufacturing variances as much as anything else.

Now, having the fastest racers at the club freely sharing their ESC set-up's for others to try and catch them, THAT would be huge. Somehow I think there probably aren't enough of those guys out there though.....

My car just hit 88mph. I hope it comes back soon....
JR007 is offline   Reply With Quote