R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

    Hide Wikipost
Old 11-29-2016, 12:48 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: USGT
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: jlfx car audio
USIC USGT 2016 Motor and Chassis list

TQ A.F. TSR A800
2nd D.J. TeamPowers A800
3rd B.S. TSR A800
4th M.L. TSR A800
5th M.F TeamPowers A800
6th D.J TSR Destiny
7th J.W. Trinity Monster '17 Xray
8th C.V TSR Destiny
9 A.C. TSR A700
10 B.K. R1 v15 A700
11
12
13 J.L. TSR A800
14 M.L. TSR Destiny
15
16
17
18 R.C. TSR T4
19
20 S.J. TSR Destiny
21
22 E.S. motiv T4
23
24
25
26 P.D. TSR Destiny
27
28
29
30 V.P. Reedy M3 serpent 3.0
31
32
33
34
35 Y.B. Fantom A800
36
37
38 R.C. TSR A800
39
40 W.S. Reedy
41
42
43 Motiv xray
44
45
46 Motiv Xray
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55

Print Wikipost

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-11-2014, 04:25 PM   #2776
Tech Master
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chi-Town West Burbs
Posts: 1,241
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com View Post
These are the rims I just found on eBay (NIB). I didn't see any at my LHS, so I purchased these. They are the strong mesh type, 24mm and 2mm offset. Should be good to go with a new set this weekend. I do still need to dremel off the mold seam on the tires.

Tamiya does offer a nice selection of 24mm rims.

I'm hoping to come down to your neck of the wood, to race on the 27th. What has the turnout been like???
__________________
Goal Achieved....Not Dead Last.
mooby64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:40 PM   #2777
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianapolis give or take...
Posts: 659
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby64 View Post
Tamiya does offer a nice selection of 24mm rims.

I'm hoping to come down to your neck of the wood, to race on the 27th. What has the turnout been like???
One heat's worth of USGT. I'd say 6-8. Nice weather is having an effect.

Two heats of VTA.
.crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:37 PM   #2778
Tech Master
 
cwoods34's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Indy-freakin'-ana
Posts: 1,152
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by .crispy View Post
17.5 TC when Jonesy and his cronies show. (Cronies = Cody?)
HAHA.
__________________
Stop holding bitterness deep in your bum soul.
cwoods34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:37 PM   #2779
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Floresville, TX
Posts: 751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodarbal View Post
My re-purposed Solaris wheels have been holding up nicely.



BTW, I did see the Rides mounted on 26 mm wide wheels in my RD's stash... they looked REALLY flat and stretched. At the club level, they'd probably perform OK, but I think I'll stick with 24 mm wheels. I like having that bit of concavity.
I had a set mounted on 26mm wheels and they worked great once. The next time out they were horrible. Go with the 24 mm wheels. Mine on 24mm wheels have 4 race weekends on them and are still working great.
John Wallace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:17 PM   #2780
Tech Master
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chi-Town West Burbs
Posts: 1,241
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wallace2 View Post
I had a set mounted on 26mm wheels and they worked great once. The next time out they were horrible. Go with the 24 mm wheels. Mine on 24mm wheels have 4 race weekends on them and are still working great.
Only 4 weekends worth??? They are not even broken in yet. I probably have 12 weeks worth on my first set and they are still going strong.
__________________
Goal Achieved....Not Dead Last.
mooby64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:17 AM   #2781
Tech Addict
 
moparSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby64 View Post
Only 4 weekends worth??? They are not even broken in yet. I probably have 12 weeks worth on my first set and they are still going strong.
You must be racing on carpet, this set has 2 race days on it

__________________
2014 IFMAR Warm-Up Pics >>> www.rcactionpics.com <<<

Check it out >>> www.RaceVTA.com <<<

Last edited by Matt Trimmings; 05-19-2016 at 10:29 PM.
moparSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:38 AM   #2782
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin,TX
Posts: 1,031
Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)
Default

@MoparSRT

what are your driving conditions?
how are you prepping your tires?
What wheels and foam inserts are you using?
Why is there uneven wear?
Are you rotating your tires?


I race on an outdoor asphalt (parking lot) track that is prepped with soda + sugar sprayed on the track. I'm using Paragon White tire sauce with Sweep Aqua inserts on Speed Mind wheels. My front left tire tends to wear a little more quickly than the other tires, but I'm able to get even tire wear by rotating my tires each race day. I'm able to get at least a dozen race days before I see any signs of worn tread.

I also wonder if this is a case of 50/50?

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
billdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:42 AM   #2783
Tech Master
 
IndyHobbies.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brownsburg, Indiana
Posts: 1,866
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by .crispy View Post
One heat's worth of USGT. I'd say 6-8. Nice weather is having an effect.

Two heats of VTA.
He asked ME Crispy, not you!

I'd say one heat's worth of USGT. I'd say 6-8. Nice weather is having an effect. Two heats of VTA.

Er... what Crispy said!

__________________
Airbrushing Projects: www.indyhobbies.com/Airbrushing.html
"If you’re in control, you’re not going fast enough." – Parnelli Jones
USVTA #144
IndyHobbies.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:50 AM   #2784
Tech Addict
 
moparSRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
@MoparSRT

what are your driving conditions?
how are you prepping your tires?
What wheels and foam inserts are you using?
Why is there uneven wear?
Are you rotating your tires?


I race on an outdoor asphalt (parking lot) track that is prepped with soda + sugar sprayed on the track. I'm using Paragon White tire sauce with Sweep Aqua inserts on Speed Mind wheels. My front left tire tends to wear a little more quickly than the other tires, but I'm able to get even tire wear by rotating my tires each race day. I'm able to get at least a dozen race days before I see any signs of worn tread.

I also wonder if this is a case of 50/50?

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Valkaria Raceway
SXT 3.0
Solaris recycled wheels & inserts
2* camber on all 4
no
__________________
2014 IFMAR Warm-Up Pics >>> www.rcactionpics.com <<<

Check it out >>> www.RaceVTA.com <<<
moparSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:03 AM   #2785
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Floresville, TX
Posts: 751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby64 View Post
Only 4 weekends worth??? They are not even broken in yet. I probably have 12 weeks worth on my first set and they are still going strong.
Funny thing I was playing around with my USGT car last weekend playing with gear ratios and I put TC tires on the car to conserve the USGT spec tires and the TC tires weren't hooking up so I put the USGT spec tires back on and it was great again. BTW The TC tires only worked one weekend and only had no more than 4 runs. I was thinking of doing some 17.5, but quickly changed my mind after realizing I'd have to buy two set of tires each race day.

Last edited by John Wallace2; 06-13-2014 at 08:28 AM.
John Wallace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:04 AM   #2786
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin,TX
Posts: 1,031
Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparSRT View Post
Valkaria Raceway
SXT 3.0
Solaris recycled wheels & inserts
2* camber on all 4
no
I know of other local USGT drivers who are successfully using SXT as well as recycled Solaris wheels + inserts so we can probably rule those conditions out as the cause for premature wear.

Does Valkaria Raceway use a special traction compound other than Sugar?

I'm using 0° of camber on the front and -2° of camber on the rear.

The only potential variables I can think that might be contributing to premature wear are the following:

Too aggressive camber on the worn wheels?
Tires not being rotated?
Track prep may be using a chemical substance that is too tacky?


Have you tried racing without saucing the tires?

Last edited by billdelong; 06-13-2014 at 08:23 AM.
billdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:05 AM   #2787
Tech Elite
 
Aaron P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kansas...unfortunately.
Posts: 3,340
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparSRT View Post
You must be racing on carpet, this set has 2 race days on it

I too have two race days on asphalt and my tires look similar. Our track is pretty abrasive and I have not rotated tires yet, but will for this weekend.

I have my tires mounted directional, but I don't think it's going to affect performance to rotate them...it's not like they have to channel water away, so the direction shouldn't matter too much.

After rotating, I expect I'll get 4-6 total race days out of them. I'm fine with that.
Aaron P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:19 AM   #2788
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Floresville, TX
Posts: 751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron P View Post
I too have two race days on asphalt and my tires look similar. Our track is pretty abrasive and I have not rotated tires yet, but will for this weekend.

I have my tires mounted directional, but I don't think it's going to affect performance to rotate them...it's not like they have to channel water away, so the direction shouldn't matter too much.

After rotating, I expect I'll get 4-6 total race days out of them. I'm fine with that.
The fronts on my 1st set looked like the two tires on the left. I had too much camber, plus the car was pushing. Took out some camber, changed the setup so the front wasn't sliding as much and went back to paragon (black can) and the tire wear is much improved. Now the fronts look the second tire from the right after 5 race days (2 days one weekend) plus much testing in my driveway on abrasive concrete and in the street.
John Wallace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:51 AM   #2789
Tech Regular
 
Jorge T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: At a chemical plant in TX
Posts: 406
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Rotating direction of the ride tires on carpet is not a good idea. The first run running the tread backwards will be horrible. It improves after the second run, but when you switch direction the same problem will surface again.
During HPI V-Grove tires days, I used to run the rear thread backwards on asphalt to get more steering.
__________________
RSD Speedway
Jorge T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:19 AM   #2790
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin,TX
Posts: 1,031
Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)
Default

why can't you rotate the tires from front/rear if you feel that tread pattern is an issue for you?
billdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pro 10: 235mm Le Mans Prototype Pan Car Discussion liljohn1064 Electric On-Road 3954 12-04-2016 12:24 PM
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing squarehead Electric On-Road 14187 03-21-2012 02:43 PM
Drifting mr4tcsdrifter Colorado Racing 2678 11-01-2011 10:34 PM
RC GT Open str8.krooked Colorado Racing 49 04-28-2009 10:24 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (0 members and 3 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:57 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0