Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree6280Likes

USGT

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-12-2017, 12:28 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: USGT
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: DARKSIDE
USIC USGT 2016 Motor and Chassis list in qualifing order

TQ A.F. TSR A800
2nd D.J. TeamPowers A800
3rd B.S. TSR A800
4th M.L. TSR A800
5th M.F TeamPowers A800
6th D.J TSR Destiny
7th J.W. Trinity Monster '17 Xray
8th C.V TSR Destiny
9 A.C. TSR A700
10 B.K. R1 v15 A700
13 J.L. TSR A800
14 M.L. TSR Destiny
16 J.M. TSR. 15 Xray
18 R.C. TSR T4
19 M.K. Reedy Powered M3 AE TC7
20 S.J. TSR Destiny
22 E.S. motiv T4
26 P.D. TSR Destiny
30 V.P. Reedy M3 serpent 3.0
35 Y.B. Fantom A800
38 R.C. TSR A800
40 W.S. Reedy
43 Motiv xray
46 Motiv Xray

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 10:30 AM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up USGT

I returned to a 10th scale class just) this past Sunday in Austin, TX.
Asphalt racing is alive and well in Texas! Hot Sun, fast cars, and too much fun for most!
I really never expected to enjoy this class so much. Thank's to Chris and Jimmy the (ref) more ways than one.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:13 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by moparSRT
Discontinued ?? Tower shows the GT in stock http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHPB9&P=7
Hi Tower has the clear body but not the Pre-painted Ford GT body in my
photos. They only used this body on E-10 but never sold the body alone.
Regards
Norman
Old 04-28-2014, 11:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scirocco14
Oh, I'm perfectly aware of the current rule. And you could drive a dumptruck right through it.

Oh wait, trucks aren't legal.

I think the point of all this discussion is that it's very easy to go down the slipperly slope of "intent" vs. written rules. If you try to govern a class by "intent" then the class is usually doomed. If you are specific about what a class is supposed to be (e.g. VTA - only cars raced in the original Trans-Am Series are allowed) then there is very little wiggle room.

I agree, at the local level run what you want and have fun. But don't complain if the Nationals look like a cookie cutter class at the front.

Mark
That's the fun part the nationals are about the furthest thing from cookie cutter...we had mclaren lotus honda mazda and the infamous shaken to name a few. There are bodies taht are better than others but I have yet to see a must have body emerge. For the record the prototype bodies are not better than anything else. I'd take a nsx a lotus or a protoform corvette over anything else personally.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by old_dude
I know some of you aren't going to like this but, we ran a race this weekend and one racer had a GTP body. The consensus was that style of body doesn't belong in this class. Yes it is a very cool looking body and the way the rules are written they can be run. In all of the big car racing series those cars are a different class. These are supposed to be GT style bodies. If the rules don't get a little clarification then we will all run them to be competitive and the class will struggle as WGT has. Remember WGT started as a GT/pan car class with a similar body rule then a designed for the class body came out. The interest nearly died in that class and it is struggling to recover. Lets not have this happen to this class it is a blast to race in and the body variety is what make it unique.
What gtp body? Was it like an old 1/10 pan body with the integrated wing?
Old 04-28-2014, 12:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
What gtp body? Was it like an old 1/10 pan body with the integrated wing?
McAllister to name one company has a pair of Daytona Prototypes that are 190mm and fit very well on a TC chassis. If the USGT class is to truly be a GT class then I just question them being allowed as they are now since the rules are so wide. These came out in the last couple of months and Gary did a great job on them.
My comment about WGT came from its starting point back about 07. It was originally specified as a GT type car that was modeled after any front engine/ rear wheel drive car that was being raced in any of the major racing series around the world. A very broad definition but it settled down to the Protoform Sophia as the only body for several years. Then it became a ROAR class with approved bodies.
This discussion is good, lets keep it civil and open minded. There are way to many out there that just want to start an argument when all that is needed is dialog.

Last edited by old_dude; 04-28-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:38 PM
Tech Master

I though I would point out that there is another thread under the electric on-road that discusses creating a new class for the DP bodies. Even running them together as they usually race as full size cars but with class winners.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by old_dude
McCallister to name one company has a pair of Daytona Prototypes that are 190mm and fit very well on a TC chassis.
Not without modification to some cars

I had a bit of a challenge to get it to fit on my TC6... I had to remove the foam bumper and then custom build a new Kydex bumper, trim the upper deck posts and use longer 20mm screws which I hope will add durability by widening the distance to provide extra protection on the wheels when hitting the boards around the track:

Old 04-28-2014, 01:56 PM
Tech Master

They do look great when mounted up correctly.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:08 PM
Tech Regular

Hey Bill-
Nice job on the body and the cool custom bumper. Not sure that you needed to go to that much trouble, all of our product shots of our Riley DP body is on a TC6.1 and that's what I personally race, and all I did was shave the top edge of the foam bumper back a little.

Also I wanted everybody to be clear, we did not make our Daytona Prototype bodies specifically for USGT. I'm not even familiar with any rules for USGT bodies. We just made them for racers that want to race current top level road racing cars in the U.S. I even posted a thread on here with some basic rules for a DP class. I don't think USGT, World GT or even USVTA has a big organization like ROAR, it's just someone set up some rules to go by. Those folks will have to decide whether the DP bodies fit their parameters or not.

Here's my personal TC6.1 with a Riley body....

Last edited by Matt Trimmings; 05-19-2016 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Norman2
Hi Tower has the clear body but not the Pre-painted Ford GT body in my
photos. They only used this body on E-10 but never sold the body alone.
Regards
Norman
gotcha
Old 04-28-2014, 05:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by robk
.. I'd take a nsx a lotus or a protoform corvette over anything else personally.
That was a World GT body ... does it clear the front shock tower on tc's ?
Old 04-28-2014, 08:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

thanks Old Dude and FlyingM... I was looking for an excuse to make a wider Kydex bumper anyway... not that I've had any major problems with durability with my TC6, but it can get pricey to repair the front end if I take too hard of a hit on a wall... sometimes costing me upwards of $20 in combined parts... the Kydex bumper mod cost about the same but acts as insurance going forward. It's proven to be a front hub saver on several of my other cars that didn't use to be nearly as durable before adding the Kydex bumpers to them
Old 04-28-2014, 08:54 PM
Tech Master

I decided to make a USGT car for fun. Had this Nissan GT-R shell for a while. Meant to use it for an endurance race a couple of years ago which had very specific body rules, but that race was cancelled. USGT is gaining a bit of a following locally, so I figured I would join them and finally make some use of this shell. It may not have the lowest COG, especially because I put LEDs in it, but it looks badass

Old 04-28-2014, 10:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by moparSRT
That was a World GT body ... does it clear the front shock tower on tc's ?
It was a sedan body before it was changed into a WGT body. Maybe a new one will be back on the market....we can hope!
Old 04-29-2014, 04:02 AM
Tech Master

Thanks for paying attention Gary. Again the DP cars look great and I hope something can be worked out to get them on the track in force.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.