R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 11-29-2016, 12:48 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: USGT
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: jlfx car audio
USIC USGT 2016 Motor and Chassis list

TQ A.F. TSR A800
2nd D.J. TeamPowers A800
3rd B.S. TSR A800
4th M.L. TSR A800
5th M.F TeamPowers A800
6th D.J TSR Destiny
7th J.W. Trinity Monster '17 Xray
8th C.V TSR Destiny
9 A.C. TSR A700
10 B.K. R1 v15 A700
13 J.L. TSR A800
14 M.L. TSR Destiny
18 R.C. TSR T4
20 S.J. TSR Destiny
22 E.S. motiv T4
26 P.D. TSR Destiny
30 V.P. Reedy M3 serpent 3.0
35 Y.B. Fantom A800
38 R.C. TSR A800
40 W.S. Reedy
43 Motiv xray
46 Motiv Xray

Print Wikipost

Old 03-24-2014, 11:52 PM   #2356
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I really want to run usgt but I don't know of any track nearby that has this class (Sydney, Australia).

Can't stand those ugly dish wheels and touring car bodies, not to mention having to pay $35 for a new set of tires to race in touring classes.
TB03Racer09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:51 AM   #2357
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
I like to think if anybody has a body in question...post a pic and let everyone look at it..

For Thunder/Nashville Im more of make sure its a real car type guy...must have rear bumper ect...something that I would see rolling in my hood...or Tom Cruise hood at least lol

there are a lot of bodies that fit this class...pick one and enjoy....

Do you see a 2014 Riley rolling through?
429racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:58 AM   #2358
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSeils View Post
Just curious about motor timing. I have a new Thunder Power 21.5 with a FDR of 3.87 in my vehicle. The car seemed set up correctly for the infield, but I was definitely slow on the straight. I am figuring that the gear ratio is good but what about the timing on the motor? I moved from 20 to 30. Temps at 30 were around 140-150

What suggestions would everyone have about a starting point for timing? Or should I just gear it higher?

Thanks
Set fastest lap each round for USGT using that motor on our latest carpet layout. FDR 3.5, timing 35 degrees and a good 30mm fan(Yeah or R1). Motor temps ~150 degrees. These motors seem to have a stanky plastic when approaching that temp when new.

^^^ <>< ^^^
rcwck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:55 AM   #2359
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwck View Post
Set fastest lap each round for USGT using that motor on our latest carpet layout. FDR 3.5, timing 35 degrees and a good 30mm fan(Yeah or R1). Motor temps ~150 degrees. These motors seem to have a stanky plastic when approaching that temp when new.
What rotor are you running? I have tried both the Green and Blue and the Blue seems to like 3.8- 4.0 FDR on a 80 X 50 track
Indyonroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:12 PM   #2360
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB03Racer09 View Post
I really want to run usgt but I don't know of any track nearby that has this class (Sydney, Australia).

Can't stand those ugly dish wheels and touring car bodies, not to mention having to pay $35 for a new set of tires to race in touring classes.
Before VTA moved to my area, I took my older chassis and built it to the current (at the time) USVTA standards. There was no one else to run against, but I let the car sit out at my pit for every race. All the other guys saw it and started asking if we were going to start racing that class. On faith and hope I just answered,"Yep!" and soon many of them had cars. VTA had arrived.

It's hard to go first and to spend the money when there is a possibility that no one else will join you, but someone has to do it. I have to admit that all I had to do at the time was to cut a six cell battery down to four cells. Then buy the body, wheels and tires. You could mock up a car and see if anyone else has some interest in it.
I am not saying that I brought a new class to my area, but I believe that there were several guys who were wishing we would run that class and all it took was for one person to build a car for them to all make the move.

Build your USGT car and let it sit out while you are racing the other class.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:36 PM   #2361
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSeils View Post
Just curious about motor timing. I have a new Thunder Power 21.5 with a FDR of 3.87 in my vehicle. The car seemed set up correctly for the infield, but I was definitely slow on the straight. I am figuring that the gear ratio is good but what about the timing on the motor? I moved from 20 to 30. Temps at 30 were around 140-150

What suggestions would everyone have about a starting point for timing? Or should I just gear it higher?

Thanks
Carl, are your running a fan? I ran the TP 21.5 in usgt for a while with a fan. As previously noted, 35 deg of timing should be good. if you have a fan, 3.6 - 3.7 on the fdr should be fine for our track.

yeah. i know.
mikel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:47 PM   #2362
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis S View Post
The body came in a TA05-IFS kit so I "assumed" it would only work on IFS, short shocks type chassis. I thought the TB04 has the shorter socks and lower sock towers.
Yes, the TB04 has 2mm shorter shocks but it leaves plenty of gap from the hood of the Ebbro body so even a standard shock would still have cleared it.

This is my TB03 with standard shocks and towers. The body rests right on the front tower.

https://flic.kr/p/muNoT9

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...

Last edited by Matt Trimmings; 05-19-2016 at 10:29 PM.
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:32 PM   #2363
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Ok so question that has prob come up before, but I cant search for crap on my phone. Im wondering with the new spec tires if the stock inserts must be used? I see nothing in the rules about that on the page sooooo.... and if not in the rules has anyone tried different inserts with any results?
SMC - Motiv motors - Savox - Spectrum - Exotek.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:48 PM   #2364
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
Ok so question that has prob come up before, but I cant search for crap on my phone. Im wondering with the new spec tires if the stock inserts must be used? I see nothing in the rules about that on the page sooooo.... and if not in the rules has anyone tried different inserts with any results?
The spec tires with the inserts are to be used. Allowing other inserts would make the spec tire rule a mess with people trying all types of inserts.
Travis S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:59 PM   #2365
Tech Elite

I would get that if they were pre-mounts, but they are not. We must mount ourselves and if the time was taken to specifically mention stock inserts for USVTA, why not for USGT?
Old 03-31-2014, 09:06 PM   #2366
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

the inserts that come with the tires are the required inserts.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:10 PM   #2367
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
I would get that if they were pre-mounts, but they are not. We must mount ourselves and if the time was taken to specifically mention stock inserts for USVTA, why not for USGT?
I am sure it will be put on the website and must have been missed. I know this question came up before and the people in charge said to use the stock insert. I also know that when the rule was any spec tire the insert needed to be open cell foam and not the molded stuff you find in a typical TC wheel. The stock insert is about as close to a molded insert as you are going to get anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
the inserts that come with the tires are the required inserts.
After I finished my post the man himself speaks.
Travis S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:58 PM   #2368
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

Quote:
has anyone tried different inserts with any results?
Our club is not 100% USGT and they allow any radial tire with no restriction on inserts. I've found the RIDE 24024 tires to work equally as well as the RIDE 24025 tires.

I've found the Sweep Aqua Medium inserts to work a little better than the stock inserts for outdoor asphalt racing with medium grip, the wear is about the same with the stock insert, but I get just a little bit faster corner speeds with the Sweep inserts. I haven't tried any other insert as I simply recycled those inserts from another set of worn premounts. I would be willing to bet that any closed cell foam insert will be better than the stock open cell foams. I also think that a set of inserts could probably be recycled several times to help keep costs low

I think Sweep also sells foam inserts that are specific for carpet racing too... I can only wonder if that might help some folks who were complaining about not getting decent performance on certain carpet tracks earlier?

As far as enforcing the foam insert rule, you can feel a difference when pushing down on a mounted tire to compare a stock open cell foam with a sweep closed cell foam, so I wouldn't even bother trying to cheat, you won't get away with it if the RD knows what he's doing during the tech inspection.
billdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:58 AM   #2369
Tech Elite

Thanks for the info. I understand most will prob use stock inserts, but when I got my tires they seemed kinda eehh, then I realized the tires are the same size as touring tires and I had some sweeps I wont use anymore so I thought this might be better. I get that robk has come on here and put the word out, but until its "official" by being written on the rules then there will be those out there that can and will argue its allowed. And to to me it would have to be, for now. I would suggest getting it on paper before any major event takes place to avoid any issues.

I was recently told by a gentleman that works for a major nascar team that racing is about running in the grey. By that I mean not cheating, but finding the loopholes and alternate interpretations of rules that are out there. To me this is, as of now, a grey area that is prime for exploiting. Companies make different inserts for a reason. People are bound to find out what works best.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:26 AM   #2370
Tech Champion

Tire & Wheel Specifications:
Tires- RIE24025 - set of 4 available through Gravity RC http://www.teamgravityrc.com/ to dealers and retail
Grinding of tire tread is NOT permitted. Sanding of mold seam to remove seam is allowed
Wheels- Any 24 or 26mm spoke (non-dish) type wheel. MUST USE STOCK INSERT

Tire & Wheel Specifications:
The only tires allowed are HPI tire part #4793 "front" and #4797 "rear", using stock tire inserts provided with tire and any HPI Vintage wheels designed to fit these tires. All other tires and/or part numbers are illegal. Wheels and tires designated as "front" must be used as front tires/wheels, "rear" wheels/tires must used as rears. Five or Eight spoke wheels available in various colors. 0mm offset front wheels and 6mm offset rear wheels are intended for 26mm width fronts and 31mm width rear tires. 8-spoke Vintage wheels from #3805 through #3814, 5-spoke Vintage wheels from #3815 through #3822 and Vintage stock car wheels from #3854 through #3860, Vintage Wheel CC Type #33472 and #33473, Vintage Wheel DTP Type #33474 and #33475 are all legal wheels.

Grinding of tire tread is NOT permitted. Sanding of mold seam to remove seam is allowed. HPI Vintage Slicks and HPI Vintage Performance Tires are not allowed. Tire traction compounds are at the discretion of the track. No other altering, changing or softening of the tire is allowed. Tires may not be belted or changed to prevent "ballooning". All decisions of the race promoter or track owner are final. No "double stuffing" of foam inserts allowed—only single stock vintage tire inserts are allowed.

easy fix
January 2017
Thunder RC Raceway
DARKSIDE is online now   Reply With Quote