R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 11-29-2016, 12:48 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: USGT
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: jlfx car audio
USIC USGT 2016 Motor and Chassis list

TQ A.F. TSR A800
2nd D.J. TeamPowers A800
3rd B.S. TSR A800
4th M.L. TSR A800
5th M.F TeamPowers A800
6th D.J TSR Destiny
7th J.W. Trinity Monster '17 Xray
8th C.V TSR Destiny
9 A.C. TSR A700
10 B.K. R1 v15 A700
13 J.L. TSR A800
14 M.L. TSR Destiny
18 R.C. TSR T4
20 S.J. TSR Destiny
22 E.S. motiv T4
26 P.D. TSR Destiny
30 V.P. Reedy M3 serpent 3.0
35 Y.B. Fantom A800
38 R.C. TSR A800
40 W.S. Reedy
43 Motiv xray
46 Motiv Xray

Print Wikipost

Old 03-28-2011, 11:42 PM   #211
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

kevin, did you try mixing tire types when you were at the track saturday?
Old 03-28-2011, 11:45 PM   #212
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

No you could but I think you are going to really have to work on the setup to make that work. It would be better to just run the same all the way around. Im not sure what the temp rating is between the D's and Pro's if they are too far apart you will have a car that will handle different as the tires heat up.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:57 PM   #213
Tech Adept

yesterday i tried x patterns on the front and VTA fronts on the rear and they had a consistent grip the entire time with no setup change
Old 03-29-2011, 12:16 AM   #214
Tech Champion

If you were using the same compound I would think they would work just fine given they are both the same dia. What compound x patterns were you using?
Old 03-29-2011, 12:26 AM   #215
Tech Adept

honestly, i have no idea, they were an old pair from last year that were sitting in a bag of tires
Old 03-29-2011, 08:00 AM   #216
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

This tire game for the perfect setup should be eliminated before it continues any further. One tire, one compound (or a choice of compounds) and be done with it. This mixing and matching for the "optimal combination" is a deadly path.

Just look at the tire boxes of off road racers to see where that problem leads. This conversation is already making me not want to run USGT.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:00 AM   #217
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarehead View Post
This tire game for the perfect setup should be eliminated before it continues any further. One tire, one compound (or a choice of compounds) and be done with it. This mixing and matching for the "optimal combination" is a deadly path.

Just look at the tire boxes of off road racers to see where that problem leads. This conversation is already making me not want to run USGT.
In this case, I agree 100%. There was nothing 'broken' with the choice of HPI X pattern tires (3 choices) that needed fixing.

"Simple and effective" should be the hallmark of RCGT, just like VTA.

Tekin & Sweep, thanks for all that you do for you know who!

Associated/T.O.P./Mugen/Fantom/Spektrum/Savox
Buckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:16 AM   #218
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

The X-patterns are a really good tire, offered in the same compound as USVTA racers have been using for 3-4 years, and a slightly softer "pro" compound. They are 26mm wide, which fit a myriad wheels in offsets that allow for both 190mm and 200mm bodies, and they are in plentiful supply. If they aren't and they are used by everyone, HPI will ramp up production just like they did for VTA vintage tires.

These are the kinds of simple structures and rules that would head off the racer's inherent tendencies to look for that last little advantage before they ever hit the track—and cause people to spend more than they normally would if everyone was using the same thing.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:53 AM   #219
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Creature

what type of run time am I looking at with a 3200mAh 2c lipo with a novak havoc 21.5 assuming it's a fairly large outdoor track?

I made a huge investment when I was in the hobby years ago buying 2 6000mAh lipos, a charger, and a lot of brushless gear but none of it meets USGT standards (with good reason) so I'm back to the drawing boards...would this setup suffice? Would the difference between an og maxamps 6000mAh lipo and a 30c 3200mAh hard case be big enough that I should be practicing on the regulation packs? At $55 a piece I shouldn't be complaining after my originals were $120 but I'm trying to keep the hobby cheaper this time around (I'm even sticking to one car instead of 10!).
Creature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:38 AM   #220
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature View Post
what type of run time am I looking at with a 3200mAh 2c lipo with a novak havoc 21.5 assuming it's a fairly large outdoor track?

I made a huge investment when I was in the hobby years ago buying 2 6000mAh lipos, a charger, and a lot of brushless gear but none of it meets USGT standards (with good reason) so I'm back to the drawing boards...would this setup suffice? Would the difference between an og maxamps 6000mAh lipo and a 30c 3200mAh hard case be big enough that I should be practicing on the regulation packs? At $55 a piece I shouldn't be complaining after my originals were $120 but I'm trying to keep the hobby cheaper this time around (I'm even sticking to one car instead of 10!).
It would depend on your gearing and other factors but I would think with a 3200mah pack you should be able to get about 10 to 12 minutes of run time. I was running my car this past weekend for 8 minutes and only taking about 1000-1200mah out of the pack. I would think between the two types of packs you will just see more runtime between them.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:57 PM   #221
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPotter View Post
IMHO, I do not care what tires we run, just as long as they are easy and cheap, which the HPI ones are neither.

I think at our club , we may open the tires up a bit.. and let the racers run the solaris premounts,HPI or the Blast off.... Not sure just yet, have to do some back to back testing. I know that a properly setup GT Car with the Right HPI tires has as much grip as a set of race slicks... As far as the tires are concerned... this is really the breakdown for me

HPI = Most scale looking, 3 choices of rubber, most expensive, and have to build them, your looking at 40 bucks between the tires, rim and glue.. Wear is all over the place, our track I can get months of running from a set, at other places.. One set a race day. But you CANNOT beat the SCALE look of these.. they are simply awesome....
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh View Post
RE: RCGT
In regards to the tire issue, X-Patterns became the suggested spec tire simply because of availability. Currently as far as 26mm touring car tires, the 3 X-Pattern compounds are the most widely available. That is also why we left it open to the 3 different compounds. Again to not run into a potential situation where "the only 1 spec tire" happens to be "out" and no one can run the class. As far as wheels are concerned I have from the beginning always made it open to any realistic 26mm wheels.

I hope that I've answered some questions and shed some light on the concept of RCGT.

Thank you,

AndyH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
Tim and Mike, Thanks for the comments regarding tire wear. I tend to agree with you. Personally I've rarely seen a set of X-Patterns wear the tread down in 1 race day. BUT...I have experienced the "death groove" in 1 day which all but makes a set of tires useless beyond that day. Do I believe some people have seen excessive tread wear....you bet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPotter View Post
As the tires go. Some tracks go thorugh tires faster the others. If you run the Pro Non Belted tires, sometimes you can only get one race day on them. People run the Pro Non belsted because they hook up better and are generally faster on asphalt. So it is a situation of run the tires or don't compete. When that happens you have a dead class.

We do not have that issue at our track or most others, but at the same time, we could find a MUCH MORE cost effect situation. just something to think about.
This is some of the stuff that informed the current tire rule. At this point, the rule is definitely not final. However, there seemed to be plenty of complaints about the X patterns, mostly centering around wear vs. the price.
Availability issues are very secondary, but still there.

To be honest, I would consider specing these 3 tires:
http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...=714&p_catid=4
http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...=715&p_catid=4
http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...=716&p_catid=4

The price is unreal, and so far they work great on carpet. If they are ok on asphalt, it would be a great deal.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:23 PM   #222
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
This is some of the stuff that informed the current tire rule. At this point, the rule is definitely not final. However, there seemed to be plenty of complaints about the X patterns, mostly centering around wear vs. the price.
Availability issues are very secondary, but still there.

To be honest, I would consider specing these 3 tires:
http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...=714&p_catid=4
http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...=715&p_catid=4
http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...=716&p_catid=4

The price is unreal, and so far they work great on carpet. If they are ok on asphalt, it would be a great deal.

EXCEPT that Integy supply, distribution, and online response is NOTORIOUSLY poor.

The further that you get from a product that is already widely and easily distributed, and already on shelves, the more problems you're going to have.

As it is, that post of yours just sparked a spike in orders to Integy's web site! Probably take about a week or so for them to be out of stock.....and never come back......then we're back to square one (HPI X patterns).

Let's not even get into the debate about "Which inserts are best?" that comes with going with loose donuts! That only leads to spec'ing inserts, as well.

Tekin & Sweep, thanks for all that you do for you know who!

Associated/T.O.P./Mugen/Fantom/Spektrum/Savox
Buckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:33 PM   #223
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I guess i will keep the rules the same so I can buy $3 tires.

You may purchase HPI if you wish.

The inserts are speced as well - open cell foam.

The other thing is, do you not think I would contact Integy to see what they expect for a supply on those tires?

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:23 PM   #224
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Rob, since I was quoted in your earlier post, let me put that comment in the right context. I am a supporter of the HPI X-pattern tires. Yes, they aren't the cheapest and yes, I have seen terrible wear.....BUT, availability has always been good and, as a 26mm tire choice it works with 26mm offset wheel choices which I believe should be part of the equation. Tire wear is , and will always be, dependent on many factors. Most of the wear issues are due to newer drivers with lesser setup knowledge and the fact that they tend to go run the car for 30 minute bash sessions without checking tire wear.
That being said, I believe offering 2 tire choices of 26mm and a similar counterpart in 24mm is a sound concept. The X Pattern and the Solaris seem to be good choices with a minimum of concessions.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:22 PM   #225
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Glad to see the tire debate continuing in earnest here, as we're still going through the same thing, and it's the last hurdle to having a solid, unified class. All of the other aspects of the spec have been spot-on (21.5 spec/GT bodies & wings/etc.). We're at the point where we're getting 20-25 racers, but they're still split into two camps: X-Pattern and Solaris premount.

The pace is about the same. Solaris users enjoy simplicity, grip, longevity, affordability and decent looks at the expense of variety and uber-cool rims. X-Pattern users enjoy 3 tire and infinite insert choices, perfect scale looks, and different offsets to fill out 200mm bodies at the expense of price, labor, and wear.

At this point we're kind of at an impasse. Perhaps a nationally-unified ruling would sway us to one side, although many seem to have a religious fervor for their preference.

Personally, I like the Solaris option, but I'd jump ship if it meant we could all run the same thing and not split up the class.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote